Not to want to post Banana as my FB status?

(36 Posts)
80sMum Tue 27-Nov-12 23:50:58

Just got one of those rather silly "hi girlies" messages supposedly about raising breast cancer awareness, asking me to post the name of a fruit as my status, according to my relationship status.
Can't see how that raises cancer awareness at all. Just seems a bit daft to me!
Or maybe I am just a miserable old goat!

Slumberparty Wed 28-Nov-12 11:21:15

pictureperfect and worldgonecrazy I love that idea. I will be doing that too in the future.

threesocksmorgan Wed 28-Nov-12 11:04:20

yanbu I ignore them. pointless and sexist as men get breast cancer. so do their family and friends

I do what pictureperfect does.

So here's a link to www.feelyourboobies.com and remember to get your men folk to feel their boobies too. In the UK more men die of breast cancer than die of testicular cancer.

Mrskbpw Wed 28-Nov-12 10:59:16

I had a bit of a rant about this when it was the one about 'change your profile pic to a cartoon character to raise awareness of child abuse'. Lots of people were very sniffy about it and told me I was being cold-hearted.

"Raising awareness" is such a ridiculous notion. Fair enough if it's something practical you can do, like checking your breasts, or exercising more, or reporting a child you think is being neglected. But otherwise it's meaningless.

Give £2 to the NSPCC if you're worried about child abuse, but don't write rubbish on your status and feel worthy about it.

Pictureperfect Wed 28-Nov-12 10:57:07

I always post when I get those saying I refuse to do it as it makes no difference and instead here is a link on how to check your boobs. Much more useful!

featherbag Wed 28-Nov-12 10:51:02

I hate that 'depression, anxiety etc are not a sign of weakness, they are a sign of trying to be strong for too long' one. No, they are not, they are/are symptoms of mental illness, and this sort of bollocks just increases the stigma surrounding them!

Merry I'm guessing the Belgium thing was something along the lines of you're given a list of places & timescales based on initials or dates of birth or something & depending on who you are you end up saying you're going someplace for x amount of time.
this makes a lot more sense in my head

Slumberparty Wed 28-Nov-12 10:32:23

Had a rant to my my Dsis about the same thing last time round. I said this does nothing to fight against breast cancer, it's ridiculous. She said yes but it is raising awareness hmm . I said I think most women are already aware of it...
Also hate the stupid 'Like if you love your mum' and crap like that! Really annoys me!

blisterpack Wed 28-Nov-12 10:28:20

Yes Ophelia, and accompanied by a photo of a very sick baby or child in a hospital bed, tubes and all sad.

blueballoon79 Wed 28-Nov-12 10:17:04

I hate these also and as someone mentioned upthread the ones with a photo of a dying baby or child asking you to press like so that Facebook will donate one cent for every "like".

There was one of a naked, dying, baby girl that a "friend" of mine put on her Facebook wall. When I pointed out to her that the babys parents probably didn't want photographs of their daughter plastered all over Facebook without their permission and also that Facebook will NOT be donating money for every "like", it resulted in quite a lengthy argument in which she accused me of being heartless and not caring about childhood cancer. hmm

hackmum Wed 28-Nov-12 09:55:56

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates these. I couldn't be more aware of breast cancer, I really couldn't. Given that some of my closest female relatives have died of the disease, and several friends have suffered from it, I'd actually like to be less aware.

Tweasels Wed 28-Nov-12 09:50:31

This is very trivial in comparison to the cancer stupidity but on my feed it said

Like if you are impressed with Pauline Quirk's weight loss (or something of that ilk)

I see weird statuses and think "its one of those". I never think "oh, one of those awareness raising statuses, I must find out what its for and have my awareness raised". So it is pointless and doing something pointless but pretending it is a worthwhile contribution can be offensive to those actually effected by the issue.

Dead69Girl Wed 28-Nov-12 09:41:48

YANBU

i hate them they are stupid and do nothing,

SelfRighteousPrissyPants Wed 28-Nov-12 09:40:58

The x weeks and craving ... really annoyed me just after I'd had a mc.

FeckOffCup Wed 28-Nov-12 09:35:44

There was a ridiculous one doing the rounds recently that went "I'm X weeks and craving Y food," cue loads of women being congratulated on non existent pregnancies and then having to backtrack and admit they weren't pregnant and it's all a load of attention seeking bollocks which has fuck all to do with cancer awareness.

Mrsjay Wed 28-Nov-12 09:33:52

was Bra sizes 1 year with LOLZ at the end of it ,hmm I dont repost them let others do it though it really isn't harming anybody i spose

Purple2012 Wed 28-Nov-12 09:31:17

I hate them too - its ridiculous.

MerryCunnyFuntingChristmas Wed 28-Nov-12 07:46:50

Yy Ophelia, or a photo of a murderer '1 like = equals 1 slap, comment = punch' or starved dogs 'like to stop animal cruelty' yes because that's really going to do the world of good hmm

MerryCunnyFuntingChristmas Wed 28-Nov-12 07:44:14

Yanbu, it's pretty pointless tbh. It's not luke they're donating any money or anything is it?

Eugene why did your friend go to Belgium? I don't get it confused

ArkadyRose Wed 28-Nov-12 07:43:57

People who send me stupid chain messages like that get a snippy reply pointing out they're doing fuck-all for cancer awareness and ignoring that men can get breast cancer too. Second offense gets them punted off my friends list & blocked. Sometimes I'll unfriend on a first offense if it's someone I'm not particularly close to.

OpheliaPayneAgain Wed 28-Nov-12 07:26:30

They make me all frothy!

Especially the 'every time you share this picture, 1 cent is donated to XYZ' accompanies by a dying baby. Are people really that stupid?

Then don't. The whole thing is ridiculous and silly and does nothing.

EugenesAxe Wed 28-Nov-12 04:59:27

One of my friends posted 'Is going to Belgium for 7 months' as her FB status.

I posted in concern and so did half her family; she then had to do a follow up post explaining everything and allaying the concerns of her nearest and dearest.

YANBU!

WelshMaenad Wed 28-Nov-12 04:11:58

Someone sent one of those chain status messages to my friend. A week after she lost her mum to breast cancer.

I don't really think her 'awareness' could have been any higher already.

It's all a crock of shit. Fortunately I don't get many invitations to participate. This may speak to the intelligence level of my Facebook friends, or my reputation for being growly and intolerant, either is possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now