Not to want to post Banana as my FB status?

(36 Posts)
80sMum Tue 27-Nov-12 23:50:58

Just got one of those rather silly "hi girlies" messages supposedly about raising breast cancer awareness, asking me to post the name of a fruit as my status, according to my relationship status.
Can't see how that raises cancer awareness at all. Just seems a bit daft to me!
Or maybe I am just a miserable old goat!

hackmum Wed 28-Nov-12 09:55:56

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates these. I couldn't be more aware of breast cancer, I really couldn't. Given that some of my closest female relatives have died of the disease, and several friends have suffered from it, I'd actually like to be less aware.

blueballoon79 Wed 28-Nov-12 10:17:04

I hate these also and as someone mentioned upthread the ones with a photo of a dying baby or child asking you to press like so that Facebook will donate one cent for every "like".

There was one of a naked, dying, baby girl that a "friend" of mine put on her Facebook wall. When I pointed out to her that the babys parents probably didn't want photographs of their daughter plastered all over Facebook without their permission and also that Facebook will NOT be donating money for every "like", it resulted in quite a lengthy argument in which she accused me of being heartless and not caring about childhood cancer. hmm

blisterpack Wed 28-Nov-12 10:28:20

Yes Ophelia, and accompanied by a photo of a very sick baby or child in a hospital bed, tubes and all sad.

Slumberparty Wed 28-Nov-12 10:32:23

Had a rant to my my Dsis about the same thing last time round. I said this does nothing to fight against breast cancer, it's ridiculous. She said yes but it is raising awareness hmm . I said I think most women are already aware of it...
Also hate the stupid 'Like if you love your mum' and crap like that! Really annoys me!

Merry I'm guessing the Belgium thing was something along the lines of you're given a list of places & timescales based on initials or dates of birth or something & depending on who you are you end up saying you're going someplace for x amount of time.
this makes a lot more sense in my head

featherbag Wed 28-Nov-12 10:51:02

I hate that 'depression, anxiety etc are not a sign of weakness, they are a sign of trying to be strong for too long' one. No, they are not, they are/are symptoms of mental illness, and this sort of bollocks just increases the stigma surrounding them!

Pictureperfect Wed 28-Nov-12 10:57:07

I always post when I get those saying I refuse to do it as it makes no difference and instead here is a link on how to check your boobs. Much more useful!

Mrskbpw Wed 28-Nov-12 10:59:16

I had a bit of a rant about this when it was the one about 'change your profile pic to a cartoon character to raise awareness of child abuse'. Lots of people were very sniffy about it and told me I was being cold-hearted.

"Raising awareness" is such a ridiculous notion. Fair enough if it's something practical you can do, like checking your breasts, or exercising more, or reporting a child you think is being neglected. But otherwise it's meaningless.

Give £2 to the NSPCC if you're worried about child abuse, but don't write rubbish on your status and feel worthy about it.

I do what pictureperfect does.

So here's a link to www.feelyourboobies.com and remember to get your men folk to feel their boobies too. In the UK more men die of breast cancer than die of testicular cancer.

threesocksmorgan Wed 28-Nov-12 11:04:20

yanbu I ignore them. pointless and sexist as men get breast cancer. so do their family and friends

Slumberparty Wed 28-Nov-12 11:21:15

pictureperfect and worldgonecrazy I love that idea. I will be doing that too in the future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now