AIBU to think that Heston Blumenwhatsit is having a terrible influence on the kids!!

(59 Posts)
SallyBeth Tue 27-Nov-12 21:14:41

I'm just watching Heston on channel 4, where he is designing a sweet shop. As part of this, he went into a school, and had a big conversation with the kids about how lovely sweets and chocolate are, and then got them to design their perfect sweet. AIBU to think that this was a terrible idea? If my DC were in that class, and came home talking all about how great sweets were, and how they wanted chocolate and sweets, I would be fuming! Surely this is a pretty irresponsible thing to bring into the classroom?!

Sparklingbrook Tue 27-Nov-12 22:11:53

And he sucks tampons between courses.

Heston is an artistic genius IMO!

pigletmania Tue 27-Nov-12 22:15:16

Yabvu love HB, he's like a mad scientist for food.

pootlebug Tue 27-Nov-12 22:19:00

Ah yes, 'refined' sugar. You'd think it wold be all nice and lah di dah with a name like that wouldn't you?

I get really pissed off with all these people withering about refined sugar. Sugar is sugar...and all carbs end up that way. Pretending there are more worthy sugars than others is just bullshit, IMO. Have a look at some glycemic indexes and see how much faster weetabix is absorbed by the body than Dairy Milk. Rice cakes are very fast acting carbohydrate - yes, even those organic baby ones. what is your take on organix nutritionally useless fake wotsit corn snacks OP

GreenyEyes Tue 27-Nov-12 22:19:00

Have Heston and George Michael ever been seen in the same room huhmm?

One for you all to think about there

Sirzy Tue 27-Nov-12 22:19:14

Sweets and sugar are acceptable.

Nothing wrong with children thinking about foods they enjoy. Nothing wrong with them wanting to eat them either.

SallyBeth Tue 27-Nov-12 22:29:51

Fine I'm being unreasonable. Thanks to you all for being so bitchy honest.

AmberLeaf Wed 27-Feb-13 22:35:06

Would wine gums be ok?

idshagphilspencer Wed 27-Feb-13 22:37:02

Or wine?

rocketeer Wed 27-Feb-13 22:42:40

Sallybeth, wine ok, sugar bad?

numbum Wed 27-Feb-13 22:44:12

Sweets for children are bad but going to work pissed is ok....

Ach, you've been gently ribbed for being mad as a chicken.

<proffers a Hotel Chocolat praline>

<snigger at getting knickers in twist over kids having a sweetie lesson>

My kids would LOVE this sort of lesson.

Sounds ace.

<snatches Lauries proffered choccy>

<ner ner nerner ner>

Have a very apposite biscuit

cory Wed 27-Feb-13 23:18:51

Commander, I do hope that's not a chocolate biscuit shock

countrykitten Wed 27-Feb-13 23:35:58

SallyBeth I think that you may be over reacting here a little as regards the actual activity. I agree with you however that sweets, chocolate etc are crap foods and should not be promoted. MN always amazes me as it is full of silly people peddling the line that sweets (crap) are 'treats'.

kinkyfuckery Wed 27-Feb-13 23:38:25

Necro-posting much?

pigletmania Thu 28-Feb-13 00:24:52

Yabvu lighten up

OldMacEIEIO Thu 28-Feb-13 00:33:46

SallyBeth is right, sweets are evil and rot your teeth and your brain, in fact they are a red line. If my kids dont watch it, I'll divorce them.
Unless they buy me some choccies for mothers day

MamaMumra Thu 28-Feb-13 05:50:22

Sparklingbrook - Heston is a world class knob whatever he does TBH

Made me laugh, it's how I feel about him too.

MamaMumra Thu 28-Feb-13 05:54:14

Oooh, old thread....

ripsishere Thu 28-Feb-13 06:46:05

I'd have loved to see that programme. i think Mr B is a hunk o' spunk.

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 28-Feb-13 06:55:26

YANBU. I cannot tell you the difficulties he has caused with my two. They clamour constantly for snail porridge and egg and bacon ice cream, and DD1 throws a complete tantrum if I serve the wrong wine with it. It's shocking the effect he has had on them. We can never go back to fish fingers and spag bol now. sad

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 28-Feb-13 06:56:05

Rip - I think you are confusing him with Hugh F-W...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now