Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to expect resonable music for younger children esp boys?

(22 Posts)
maillotjaune Tue 27-Nov-12 14:03:42

My sons (9, 8, and 3) currently love:
Madness
Jake Bugg
Teenage Fanclub
Otis Redding
The Hives
The Clash
The Beatles
Bruce Springsteen
McFly

Because they listen to our music we know which songs have the swear words / inappropriate lyrics so they have playlists on the computer which can go on their MP3s (oldest one, with middle one getting one for Christmas) or listen to the CDs that we know are ok.

Don't get sucked into buying them "children's" music unless you like it. Most of it is shit. (Except HH)

ilovetermtime Tue 27-Nov-12 13:38:39

My DSs who are 6 and 8 love the moshi monsters album. They also like listening to individual songs off my iPod, including abba, foo fighters, led zepplin, Alice Cooper, basically anything so long as it's loud and they can jump around to it.

WilsonFrickett Tue 27-Nov-12 11:09:33

Barenakedladies have a couple of fab children's albums.

redlac Tue 27-Nov-12 09:40:12

Just go for good ol fashioned rock and roll - foo fighters, black keys, queen, rolling stones, etc

squeakytoy Tue 27-Nov-12 09:31:29

I bought the Green Day Dos! album yesterday.. I wouldnt recommend that one!! Its very good, but I doubt "fuck time" will be suitable grin

But yes, just make a playlist yourself for them. So long as it isnt explicit lyrics, songs about love etc will not do them any harm. At 7 my favourite stuff was Grease (and the sexual connotations just completely went over my head anyway, I just like the tunes).

wonderingsoul Tue 27-Nov-12 09:27:46

dont have even

wonderingsoul Tue 27-Nov-12 09:26:31

best bet is. like you say create my own.. so bit of bon jovi.. green day wink will have to have alook through my old cds after iv house cleaned. i have itunes or spotify or alike so will have to burn some old ones on to my computer.

i just think its a little sad that children.. esp boys dont have any groups aimed at them. girls have or had hanna mantana miley cylcles.. or what ever her name is. but boys not so much.

wigglesrock Germany Tue 27-Nov-12 08:45:04

Yup, I create playlists for my children - a bit of Taylor Swift, a bit of Snow Patrol (their choice), a bit of Katy Perry, One Direction, Lawson (?), Take That etc, and some classic 80s dance.

They Might Be Giants have some children's albums. I'm not sure what age they are aimed at, but Here Comes Science or No! may be suitable.

SoupDragon Tue 27-Nov-12 08:25:00

Your best bet will be to pick individual songs to create your own compilation. Not every song by, for example, Green Day is going to be inappropriate (a lot will, but not all smile)

As an aside, there are indeed albums from Austin & Ally (Austin Moon/Ross Lynch) and Shake it up Chicago (Bella Thorne/Zendaya) and that has screwed up my iTunes suggestions forever grin

GreenShadow England Tue 27-Nov-12 08:24:39

Should have said, the BBC Breakfast mums CD was 'Zeamu Music' and I think can be seen on Youtube.

wonderingsoul Tue 27-Nov-12 08:23:12

greenshadow wow. thank you for that. i shall watch that once kids have been dropped of at school.

GreenShadow England Tue 27-Nov-12 08:22:51

My DC have liked listening to songs from musicals at this sort of age - how about Oliver, Joseph and his technicolour dream coat etc.

DS3 (13) also loves listening to the Horrible History songs, but you can't get those on CD yet.

wonderingsoul Tue 27-Nov-12 08:22:04

cailin great idea.

soup my did love sponge bob.. so deff worth looking into, was looking for "normal" musis though. so old school stuff will have to do.

may just be getting old and having a back in my day mood. but the music is so much harsher then it used to be.

GreenShadow England Tue 27-Nov-12 08:20:44

This problem was featured on BBC Breakfast last week. Watch again here

They talked to two mothers who did something about this and released their own child-friendly CD. No idea if this is the sort of thing which might interest your DS, but worth looking into.

bruffin England Tue 27-Nov-12 08:20:07

"DSs used to like the songs from Phineas and Ferb"
The theme tune is by Bowling For Soup who are brilliant but some of their lyrics may be a bit close to the mark, although My Weina is a complete double entendre that would go completely over a 7 year olds head.

and I thought this was going to be a moan about the X-Factor type crap that all kids seem to want to listen to! grin

wonderingsoul Tue 27-Nov-12 08:15:16

hmm tayler swift poped in to my head but its a bit "girly" for him music wise.. and isnt into musicals.

i dont have music channels so this prob doesnt help.

CailinDana Tue 27-Nov-12 08:11:15

It depends what he likes. Motown classics? Simon and Garfunkel? The Carpenters? Plenty of older music is really kid-friendly and cheap to buy which is a bonus!

SoupDragon Tue 27-Nov-12 08:10:12

YABU really as chart music is written for adults really. Anything written for children won't feel "grown up".

DSs used to like the songs from Phineas and Ferb and Spongebob but they liked those shows - are there albums of songs from stuff like Shake It Up Chigago and Austin & Ally? They would be inoffensive and a more grown up sound.

Personally I don't have a problem with DD (nearly 7) hearing songs referring to sex where it's not blatantly obvious as she's oblivious. Occasional swearwords are OKish by me too as she has elder brothers and they slip up with there language sometimes (I do have to skip certain songs on certain albums by Green Day in the car though!)

beachyhead Tue 27-Nov-12 08:05:51

Taylor swift.... Or other artists that specifically avoid adult issues...

What about musicals? Or look at other genres, like folk... Don't think Mumford and sons song about sex, although I may be wrong there..

wonderingsoul Tue 27-Nov-12 08:03:12

or maybe there is ...
both dc have started listening to music in bed ( its a big turn around from wanting movies so i am really happy about this)

at the moment they have christmas song or disney. which is fine for ds2 but ds1 is 7 so wants something a bit more grown up but i cant find anything thats suitable.. most of them are talking about sex.. (even if its not blantly obviouse) or has swear words in and or just unsuitable for younger children. i cant be he only one with this trouble?

any suitable for for young children now days?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now