to have put my christmas tree up already?

(59 Posts)
Flojo1979 Tue 27-Nov-12 00:37:26

Well it takes a lot of effort so why not put it up for longer?
The kids are happy, job done.
I wouldn't get another free afternoon with them for a couple of wks so it seemed a good idea at the time.
And it looks fab!

CheerMum Tue 27-Nov-12 17:25:47

Normally we put ours up Dec 1st but ours has gone up today. I got so stressed out yesterday dealing with Fucking Currys over my crappy vacuum that I upset dd who is a sensitive soul and worries when mommy gets upset. To make it up to her we've done it today, and I've baked brownies.
Am just a bit miffed as Dh though cos I ALWAYS have a glass of sherry when doing the tree and I asked him to buy some today and he didn't angry it's not the same without it

peeriebear Tue 27-Nov-12 17:11:12

Our tree will go up on Sunday I expect. I am toying with putting the ceiling decorations up early though as 11wo DS will enjoy looking at them!
Would a baby reindeer be drowned for that? shock

PeshwariNaan Tue 27-Nov-12 17:11:00

Mine's up. Being American (ex pat), the traditional time to put up the tree is the weekend after Thanksgiving. We had three Thanksgivings over the past few days (!) and I put our tree up Monday!

gwenniebee Tue 27-Nov-12 17:09:56

Yes. It's not even Advent.

wm3010 Tue 27-Nov-12 17:09:48

We have a real tree so have to wait until about 2 weeks before Christmas to make sure it lasts. We do however leave it up until the tree starts to look rough, usually mid to late January. My dh is n
ot from the UK so thinks the 12th night thing is a bit mad!

BatCave Tue 27-Nov-12 17:08:44

YANBU it's your choice I think you're crazy

MsElleTow Tue 27-Nov-12 17:05:35

I like Christmas and am very organised, but this is way too early! Your baubles will get all dusty!

marjproops Tue 27-Nov-12 17:01:04

we're putting ours up on Saturday 1st dec and i usually take it all down by 28th dec. it takes forever to untangle lights etc etc so I dont like putting it all up for only 12 days. and DC loves all the twinkly lights and stuff.

zlist Tue 27-Nov-12 16:36:49

Totally up to you. I would be completely sick of the sight of it by Christmas day though and as a consequence it would take a bit of the fun out of Christmas for me (because I would be itching to get the whole thing over and done with before it had even started!).
I usually put up the tree the weekend before Christmas (and take it down on boxing day!). At a stretch I can do mid December until 27th December.

I usually agree with all the 'too early'-ers, but my life is that fucking depressing at the moment I'm doing everything I can to gee myself up a bit.

Is that really so very wrong?

LadyMaryCrawley Tue 27-Nov-12 13:32:16

Ours goes up on Christmas Eve too, because then it's a complete novelty when you get up on Christmas Day.

Also because we have cats and I don't want my handiwork torn to pieces before the event smile

ButternutSquish Tue 27-Nov-12 13:24:01

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early! Our tree goes up on the weekend before Christmas and down usually on New Years day when hung over! My DP always wants the tree up before then but I just can't do it! My compromise is we put up our MAHOOSIVE lit reindeer in the window whenever he can be bothered to get it in from the garage.

EuroShagmore Tue 27-Nov-12 12:46:25

It's November, ffs.

ENormaSnob Tue 27-Nov-12 12:23:32

I'm a christmasaholic and it's way too early for me.

Yabu

EverlongLovesHerChristmasRobin Tue 27-Nov-12 12:15:42

It's November fgs!

Cahoootz Tue 27-Nov-12 12:13:00

Unless you live in a shopping mall then YABU...... But what the heck! You are not doing anyone any harm and if you enjoy it then thats OK.

...but please take them down before february.

imnotmymum Tue 27-Nov-12 12:11:02

We go to get ours on the 1st December and a new decoration and it is up until Jan 2nd. I must agree a lot of lights going up earlier this year.
UR to me but hey if you happy then happy xmas.

PickledGerkin Tue 27-Nov-12 12:10:08

My Dad's is up already, as children it would go up on 29th November as my sister's birthday is 28th November so she had one day of celebrations grin

We LOVED it as kids, and all the neighbours used to moan at my poor Mum who would have happily waited until 24th December!

Personally mine goes up on 8th December this year, I like to build the Christmas excitement, 1st December advent calendars, then the Christmas tablecloth, then the placemats, the children's Christmas mugs. The tree is part of the whole festivities. I don't have a set date, just a Saturday.

So no, YANBU, I would smile if I saw a Christmas tree up.

SugarplumMary Tue 27-Nov-12 12:08:54

Thank goodness - SoniaGluck and manicinsomniac we get called all sorts by people becuase that's what we do.

OP YABU - and WRONG - VERY WRONG.

But enjoy.

ours going up this week as busy next weekend and then away then busy weekenf

manicinsomniac Tue 27-Nov-12 12:04:50

YABU

It's November.

I'm with SoniaGluck , our tree and other decorations go up on Christmas Eve and not before, no matter how much the children whine! grin

Give them something to do on Christmas Eve afternoon anyway!

What Mintyy said.

I used to be a 20th Dec sort of person. This year we are getting tree from the School Fair - on 8th Dec, and I think that is too early!

Mintyy Tue 27-Nov-12 11:47:10

Yabvu. V. U.

SoniaGluck Tue 27-Nov-12 11:45:47

It's not even Advent yet shock

Tree and Christmas greenery up on 24th and taken down on Twelfth Night.

A traditionalist, that's what I am. grin

wonderingsoul Tue 27-Nov-12 10:21:26

purplepidjchickisnotthemessiah

that would be me then grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now