To not like her taking my children across a busy road

(29 Posts)
stella1w Mon 26-Nov-12 23:46:49

This is my aunt. She is elderly, has macular degeneration, severe arthritis, walks very very slowly and can only walk very short distances. She likes to use the buggy as a kind of waking frame and is unsteady on her feet. I don,t like her taking the kids across the road without me because she is slow and unsteady and all it takes is one crazy motorcyclist out of nowhere. She is deely offended.

stella1w Tue 27-Nov-12 09:04:09

I originally mentioned motorcyclists becuase she has maculkar degeneration and i suspect poor vision and there more likely not to see a bike than a big colourful car. However, what i meant was any fast moving vehicle that does something unexpected

toofattorun Tue 27-Nov-12 09:22:44

Oh dear...

Tigga, OP didn't generalise, she said "all it takes is ONE crazy motorcyclist" not "what if a motorbike came along? We all know they're all crazy motherf*ckers".
Oh, and before you start, I too had a motorbike before kids and yes, I was responsible like you, Tigga (although I can't deny that I am proper crazy!).

toofattorun Tue 27-Nov-12 09:34:52

Stella It sounds like your aunt sounds like she is in denial, but I think it's more a case of your aunt trying to cling on to every last bit of independence she has got. Poor woman. It reminded me of my dad when he was ill. He clung on to every bit of independence he had until he physically couldn't walk anymore.
Everyone has their pride and this is her way of showing you that she is not unable to take responsibility. However, we are still talking about your children's safety so YANBU at all. Have you explained again that its not about her, it only takes one arsehole driver to cause damage.

stella1w Tue 04-Dec-12 19:17:15

Thanks. Worried that if i explain again eg. I do trust you, i just don,t trust the cars, it will sound patronising and if i spell it out, eg. Because you are too old and infirm to jump out the way, she will get really angry. The fact she actively wants and needs to push the pram to help her walk does not help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now