Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that A Health Care worker should not re-use a rubber glove from the bin

(105 Posts)
NotQuintAtAllOhNo Sun 25-Nov-12 21:37:12

and use on a new patient?

Even if she did not put it on her hand, but added it to the dressing to keep it all moist?

Or am I precious?

Considering whether to call the Practice Manager tomorrow or not.

Solo Sat 01-Dec-12 00:44:04

I can understand why! my Dd did a lot of objecting (she's 5), but after about a week, she gave in and let me put it on, even to the point of asking me to do it when I forgot.

Whatdoiknowanyway Fri 30-Nov-12 11:04:32

24/7 would have been better but she refused to walk around on squelchy banana skins all day!

Solo Fri 30-Nov-12 09:56:16

Hmmm..that's interesting. The duct tape thing took around 3 weeks and I rarely left her with a tape free day. Will definitely remember the banana skin thing though. I'm most impressed that it was just over night and not 24/7. Thank you!

Whatdoiknowanyway Fri 30-Nov-12 08:14:54

It did take a few weeks but her feet were in a terrible state and no over the counter remedy had worked. The doctor had suggested freezing but it would have been too painful to get them all done at once. We tried one and that was bad enough. Also, she was very into sport and could not have coped with limited use of her feet while they healed.
What we did was pith to skin, every night whist she was in bed. I was doubtful initially but it worked.

Solo Thu 29-Nov-12 23:03:15

How long did the banana skin take? I have heard this, but didn't try it but am logging it in my brain for the future and is it pith to skin or skin to skin?

Whatdoiknowanyway Thu 29-Nov-12 14:31:26

The other thing that worked for me was banana skin. Seriously. My daughter's feet were covered in verrucas - both feet - and over the counter remedies did nothing. Banana skin, cut into small pieces and held on with micropore tape, as recommended by our local, very good, podiatrist, did the trick.

I hope you get the right response to your letter.

Solo Thu 29-Nov-12 13:13:52

Over the counter treatments do not work! Seriously, the duct tape is the only thing I've ever used on either of my Dc's that has worked! I was completely amazed! I just put a strip of the black duct tape over the verruca each morning after the shower (ensure it is thoroughly dry), then use medical type tape to hold it on. Do this for as long on is necessary and the verrucas will drop out!

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Wed 28-Nov-12 11:12:12

I have not heard from the practice manager yet. Another voicemail message from the podiatrist. Will cancel the follow up today and post my letter.

Took ds to local minor injuries to have the dressing redone as he managed to step into a puddle wearing his crocs, and they were quite gobsmacked at the incident.

They advised to not keep it moist, but dry and with plenty of air, and just buy over the counter verruca treatment and forget this clinic.

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Tue 27-Nov-12 18:45:35

Sorry I should clarify that last post- I can see that a waterproof cover over a Verruca dressing would probably increase the efficacy of the treatment, I've not seen any clinical guidelines recommending this though and it's just beyond disgusting to use a dirty one.

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Tue 27-Nov-12 18:42:57

NotQuintAtAllNo it's quite possible that the practitioner is self employed and fee sharing in some capacity with the clinic. The owner should have drawn up a contract about standards of clinical care. I doubt you would be able to access it but in a standard pre designed contact the owner would be able to ask them to leave - if they so wished.
You could also complain to the society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists www.feetforlife.co.uk (sorry can't do links). They would formally investigate.

You say it was a treatment for a verruca? It's possible (although I've never heard of it) that they were trying to increase the efficacy of the acid or Marigold Therapy they had applied.
It's disgusting behaviour and should be reported.

Lovebunny why would a nurse use a street after an injection? It just doesn't make sense. Disgusting that a dirty one was used but even odder that it was after the injection as that would surely delay clotting. Yuck.

Sorry you've both had awful experiences. We are not all like that.

Leverette Tue 27-Nov-12 16:31:05

I expect both the clinic and practitioner are panicking...

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Tue 27-Nov-12 16:08:52

nurses have taken used sterets wipes out of the bins to rub my open wounds. that is almost beyond belief.

But when you consider that the doctor at the maternity ward who checked me over after a fall, a week before my due date with ds2, forgot me laying on the bench in the consulting room, and left, nothing really surprise me any more.

9 months pregnant, laying on a 50 cm wide bench, next to the wall, and with SPD I could not get off it. I was the last patient, and I was luckily found by a cleaner, as otherwise, I would have spent the night...
Which I ended up doing anyway, as the maternity ward consultant thought I might have ruptured my placenta in my attempts at getting off the bench, so I was brought up to the ward for observation over night, and for a scan early next morning. hmm My first ever night away from ds1. I was not prepared to be kept in, and did not even have a book to read. hmm

Oh well.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Tue 27-Nov-12 16:04:06

I have been out at meetings the whole day, and seems I have some issues with my phone. There are lots of missed calls, but none from any numbers I recognize.

Will be posting my written complaint tomorrow.

MummysHappyPills Tue 27-Nov-12 14:46:41

Any more news on this op? I am quite appalled!

Solo Tue 27-Nov-12 00:26:17

Why did you refuse to complain lovebunny? what you describe is almost worse than Quint's experience! I would have been giving them both barrels, and I'm not a 'complainer' kinda person.

lovebunny Mon 26-Nov-12 22:49:40

at my local hospital, on two separate occasions in two different departments, when i have had injections, nurses have taken used sterets wipes out of the bins to rub my open wounds.
i refuse to have blood taken at that hospital. i told my gp. the practice manager went berserk and insisted i complain. i refused. she complained anyway and its on my health record.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Mon 26-Nov-12 22:44:45

I will update. smile

Thanks for suggestions and thoughts.
Time for my beauty sleep.

And in all my health care investigations today, I have discovered that there is copper toxicity related to the copper coil, so now I have this to worry about too. When it rains, it does not pour, it snows - cold wet sleet.

ShiftyFades Mon 26-Nov-12 22:39:48

Shocked reading this OP, I hope the practise manager gives you a satisfactory update tomorrow.
This woman needs reporting though as she works out of other places, her regulatory body need to know.
I'm so angry for you.

Djembe Mon 26-Nov-12 21:39:20

shock just marking place as want to known the outcome - shocking, really shocking Quint , good luck!

Leverette Mon 26-Nov-12 21:30:10

I can understand your fears. Integrity goes out of the window sometimes when people fear exposure for something they know is wrong.

Even if you are disbelieved re glove coming out of the bin, it is utterly bizarre practice to use a piece of it in a dressing.

The advice to contact the regulatory body is a good one; they have more power of investigation than the clinic managers. It could be suggested that they contact other patients to ask if they too have recieved the special patented glove treatment...

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Mon 26-Nov-12 21:24:35

Leverette, I have been thinking the same.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Mon 26-Nov-12 21:24:07

I am under no illusion that the practice manager will do anything else but pedal water and stand by her woman.

Right now I bet they are installing glove dispensers and replacing their black bins with more suitable bins for "clinical waste" and normal waste - there was only one bin and everything went into it.

I would not be surprised if they ask me to come in and show them, and will have taken away the black bins and put glove dispensers in the same place saying "look darling, you were mistaken, it is a glove dispenser, see?"

I have absolutely no faith that anybody will take a complaint seriously, will admit any fault.

Leverette Mon 26-Nov-12 21:24:04

I wondered the same hmm

Also thinking it might be wise to take your DS to the GP to describe what happened, have it recorded on his medical notes in case of any infection contracted.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Mon 26-Nov-12 21:19:53

Love, believe me I can see a difference between a glove dispenser and a tall black pedal bin

Now I am wondering if you were the podiatrist trying to do damage limitation?

Willdoitinaminute Mon 26-Nov-12 21:15:28

You need to send a formal letter of complaint. It is the practices responsibility to have an up to date cross infection policy that anyone who practices their has read and signed whether they are employed or self employed.

The podiatrist should be registered with their own

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now