To think that A Health Care worker should not re-use a rubber glove from the bin

(105 Posts)
NotQuintAtAllOhNo Sun 25-Nov-12 21:37:12

and use on a new patient?

Even if she did not put it on her hand, but added it to the dressing to keep it all moist?

Or am I precious?

Considering whether to call the Practice Manager tomorrow or not.

flow4 Sun 25-Nov-12 23:39:03

She took it out of the BIN?! shock
I can't even think of anything else to say - that is just so obviously a Bad Idea. shock

McChristmasPants2012 Sun 25-Nov-12 23:39:17

OMFG another policy they have broken, gloves unless infected ( this should be placed in an orange bag) should be placed in a tiger bag ( yellow with a black strip)

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Sun 25-Nov-12 23:40:19

Should I perhaps report the entire clinic to somewhere, rather than just talk to the practice manager?

RyleDup Sun 25-Nov-12 23:40:52

No, she shouldn't have done that. Is she insane? I'd put in a complaint.

My jaw is on the floor (and my stomach is churning)
Yuck! shock

FlyingFig Sun 25-Nov-12 23:46:17

I'm really confused - did she take a used glove from the bin and wear it whilst dressing your son's foot? How did a glove keep the dressing 'moist'? And why would she include a 'piece' of glove for you to takehome?

Or has she supplied the glove and told you to add it to a layered-type dressing?

Both are dreadful, mind-boggling possibilities; either way a used glove should not feature in any sort of health care setting, private or not...

I'm really confused! confused

flow4 Sun 25-Nov-12 23:48:23

I think you can look up the clinic, find out more about the care standards it should be following, and report a concern here, NotQ : www.cqc.org.uk/

shesariver Sun 25-Nov-12 23:49:40

Completely out of order and a bit mad really. A bit confused how you ended up at a private clinic though.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Sun 25-Nov-12 23:50:05

So rummaged around in the bin for a glove, took it up, and cut a piece from it, to add to a layer in the dressing. She handed me the remainder of the glove to take home (A used glove presumably worn when treating another patient).
The piece she cut was from the wrist area of the glove. She said it was important to keep the area moist.

I am supposed to remove the dressing on Wednesday and replace it with a new plaster and to add a piece of used latex glove under the dressing....

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Sun 25-Nov-12 23:50:34

I googled for Podiatrist in my post code.

CSIJanner Sun 25-Nov-12 23:51:24

Gaffa tape then smile

Try www.avma.org.uk/ for reporting medical negligence within a private practice. Also, when you complain, hand in a letter backing up the complaint. If they seem to brush it aside, you can report the nurse to www.nmc-uk.org/ who will do an independent review.

All info found via the BBC news website

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6999307.stm

HTH!

flow4 Sun 25-Nov-12 23:51:53

I had a NHS referral recently and ended up at a private clinic. hmm I wasn't even given an NHS option. angry (But that's a whole other thread...)

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Sun 25-Nov-12 23:53:09

Thanks, will review these links tomorrow. Need to go to bed.
sad

FlyingFig Sun 25-Nov-12 23:54:36

Oh that's really just a) disgusting and b) totally at odds with the idea of aseptic dressing technique.

Plus there's such a wide range of dressings out there that are suitable for both moist and dry wounds, none of which involve snipping bits from dirty gloves!

Please, please make a complaint and if possible, see a nurse at your GP practice before following the advice given by this woman smile

FlyingFig Sun 25-Nov-12 23:55:28

I'm going to try the gaffa tape on my hairy toes though wink

flow4 Sun 25-Nov-12 23:56:08

A lot has changed in health since that BBC article was published in 2008... The Care Quality Commission is the new regulatory body.

Solo Sun 25-Nov-12 23:58:43

I second the tape thing. Dd had two verrucae and after everything else failed to get rid of it, I followed the advice on another verruca thread and used duct tape, changed it every day held on with medical tape and some weeks later, they fell out! bloody marvelous!!

FlyingFig Mon 26-Nov-12 00:02:46

Will duct tape help painful corns? <hopeful>

OMG! I work for the NHS and I am shocked to hear about this. We have to do courses on hand hygiene and cross-infections and this HCA is clearly flouting the rules and possibly putting you/your son at risk. In the hospital I work in we use clean gloves for every patient and wash our hands in between. This is completely unacceptable and you should definitely take it up with your Practice Manager tomorrow, please.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Mon 26-Nov-12 00:58:41

shock

youngermother1 Mon 26-Nov-12 01:16:24

Talk to the practice manager, because if used then atrocious. However, before going in all guns blazing, confirm they do not have some sort of large glove dispenser.
Given the low cost of gloves and the importance of hygiene, I think it unlikely anyone would re-use one in this way.

CSIJanner Mon 26-Nov-12 07:32:59

FlyingFig - do! It changed my hobbit life smile

dawnpreview Mon 26-Nov-12 07:42:52

At the risk of being flamed, why did you not say anything to her at the time?

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Mon 26-Nov-12 08:35:22

dawnpreview. Hindsight is such a fabulous thing. Like I said further down, I was too shocked to say anything. Had had a terrible morning with two unruly kids (7 and 10 - you'd think they would be able to read my memo about "Saturday Calm" and adhere to it) It has been a total stress at home, with ds1 telling me he had to be somewhere half an hour earlier than I thought, changing our plans and dropping him (and dh) off before going to the clinic, running late (but was there on time) and stressing about parking.
I find I make mistakes if I am stressed and off balance.

And no, I can guarantee you they did not have a kitchen bin for storing gloves.

I suspect she is outdated and a dirty skank, as she graduated before I was even born, according to the therapist info on their web site.

I suspect she had run out of gloves, as she did not use any when dealing with my son. I did not see her wash her hands either.

flow4 Mon 26-Nov-12 08:45:26

Who WAS she? You didn't get treated by some deluded patient just pretending to be a healthcare practitioner, did you?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now