To think that A Health Care worker should not re-use a rubber glove from the bin

(105 Posts)
NotQuintAtAllOhNo Sun 25-Nov-12 21:37:12

and use on a new patient?

Even if she did not put it on her hand, but added it to the dressing to keep it all moist?

Or am I precious?

Considering whether to call the Practice Manager tomorrow or not.

Svrider Sun 25-Nov-12 21:39:02

Of course not
Yanbu
Yes speak to practice manager

germyrabbit Sun 25-Nov-12 21:41:03

huh? added it to the dressing? how?

MammaTJ Sun 25-Nov-12 22:22:48

Ewww!!

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Sun 25-Nov-12 22:30:51

What did she do??

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Sun 25-Nov-12 22:30:53

She made a "layered dressing" (not for salad, but for foot)

and included piece of glove. I found it most bizarre.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Sun 25-Nov-12 22:32:21

Sounds very weird and very gross!

Leverette Sun 25-Nov-12 23:11:39

What the hell?

Jesus Christ. She's picked up a used rubber glove contaminated with fuck knows what microbes and used it as part of a wound dressing???

Yes speak to practice manager and ask different member of staff to remove this "dressing" to prove what it consists of. Photograph it.

Should be instant dismissal for gross misconduct - applying USED CLINICAL WASTE to a wound.

If you contract an infection sue for clinical negligence.

DoubleLifeIsALifeHalved Sun 25-Nov-12 23:14:30

Foul & surely dangerous. Defo complaint first thing tomorrow. If its your foot, I'd consider taking off that part of the dressing unless it would bleed copiously or something. Maybe get a professional to redress really rather shortly?

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Sun 25-Nov-12 23:14:47

She gave me the same used rubber glove to take home, so I could do the same on Wednesday.... (Still in a side compartment in my bag)

I was so shocked I did not manage to say anything.

The clinic even prides themselves of having served Olympic athletes in summer.
They do physiotherapy, podiatry, etc.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Sun 25-Nov-12 23:15:47

It is not my foot. It is my sons. He has a verruca, so no skin contact with dressing. There is ointment inside a hole in the first dressing, then dressing, then rubber glove then top dressing.

YANBU. She needs a refresher of Infection Control, quicksmart!

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Sun 25-Nov-12 23:18:45

Practice manager has employment law background, and from the NHS, I think I will be met with lots of Legal jargon and goobledigook to be honest.

Let her reel off her legal jargon and say, " I see your legal mumbo jumbo and I raise it by a call to the papers"!!! That is disgusting and presumably both you and your son saw this! So you have backup!!!

cumfy Sun 25-Nov-12 23:26:22

Added it to the dressing confused

fridgepants Sun 25-Nov-12 23:26:53

My brother had an injection at school during the 1980s, and the nurse reused the needles. He was very lucky just to get an infected arm.

McChristmasPants2012 Sun 25-Nov-12 23:27:14

contact pals......as a cleaner at the nhs infection control would have my head on a plate

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Sun 25-Nov-12 23:28:16

This was not an NHS clinic. A private practice. Not sure how serious they are.

fusspot66 Sun 25-Nov-12 23:35:52

That is outrageous. A private practitioner will be subject to cross infection requirements by law as are tattoo parlours. Absolutely shocking.

She took it out of the bin?!
YANBU
Did the bin have an orange/yellow bag in it?

CSIJanner Sun 25-Nov-12 23:36:49

I caught a lovely foot wart from the local swimming pool. After countless over the counter £££ remedies, the local NHS nurse told me to use gaffa tape on it and nothing else. Just change the gaffa tape every 2-3 days, starving the wart of oxygen etc and it will wither and die. Sounded all old wives take to me, but blooming heck, it worked!

And also exfoliated my big toe and removed my life long hated hobbit foot hair forever. So Brucey Bonus! grin

Meanwhile, report her. Forget the legal jargon, just let her babble on at you and then finish off with a winning smile and say, "okay - I'll try to remember all of that in my letter to my a) insurance company" (if they're paying your son's bills - private practises hate that as it affects payments) "and b) the GMC". See if they back track then

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Sun 25-Nov-12 23:36:52

No, it was just a black fashionable looking bin, in a bullet shape.

Ah, you sure it was definately pre-used then? And not a fancy glove dispenser masquerading as a bin?

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Sun 25-Nov-12 23:38:02

We dont have private health insurance.

We just went there because my son had picked up a foot wart/verruca from the pool. (I reckon)

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Sun 25-Nov-12 23:38:42

No, it was the size of a kitchen bin. 70-80 cm tall.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now