to think that mumsnet should be a website for all mums regardless

(398 Posts)
tittytittyhanghang Sun 25-Nov-12 17:18:21

of literacy and the way they speak/type and should be welcoming to everyone? I cant fucking stand this perceived superiority over certain posters that use text speak, use of hun, lol, x's etc or the suggestion that they are somehow unsuitable for this forum and should bugger off to the other one.

As as for the fucking grammer police, fuck the fuck off. Just because someone maybe didn't use capitals, or misspelt a word, or hasn't posted perfect english, doesn't open their post to ridicule.

Shakey1500 Tue 27-Nov-12 20:22:21

MardyBra Thank you smile

Arisbottle Tue 27-Nov-12 18:45:06

fellowship feeling like you don't fit in has nothing to do with self Esteem, not in my case anyway. I am just aware that I am not like the vocal majority here. I don't particularly want to be like them either, I am quite happy to be as I am.

However that does not mean that everyone is like we with balls of steel and the hide of a rhino. Therefore it is awful whe others are made to feel stupid or inferior .

Cahoootz Tue 27-Nov-12 12:21:26

I think it all about intent. If someone points out another posters crap spelling/grammar/text speak or whatever in a nice helpful way then that is OK but if it is done to be rude, patronising or mean way then that is not ok.

There was a nice, helpful thread recently on how to spell definitely . It was jokey and good humoured and I thought it was perfectly ok. (with the added benefit that I can now spell definitely grin )

tittytittyhanghang Tue 27-Nov-12 12:11:50

Good for your Eliza, hope it makes your day better smile

grin Eliza nicely done.

hoarders It's called responding to others who had mentioned the Tyson troll thread so fuck off

BIWI Tue 27-Nov-12 08:14:17

Sorry.

Should have LOLed at that I suppose

BIWI Tue 27-Nov-12 08:13:49

Ha ha ha ha

EIizaDay Tue 27-Nov-12 07:48:03

I don't know what the OP's post is actually about because my eyes glazed over at all the swearing on it. I judged that it wasn't actually worth thinking about and I allowed myself to "feel superior" (OP's words) because I wouldn't use trashy & foul language LIKE SHE DONE.

differentnameforthis Tue 27-Nov-12 07:41:31

Hun, x's lol, grammar & spelling errors don't bother me. But everyone knows how to write English & they should have the respect for other posters to make their posts as easy to read as possible, especially if they are seeking help.

tittytittyhanghang Tue 27-Nov-12 07:39:09

*I think we are allowing this textspeak thing to cloud the real issue though. That Tyson poster only slipped into textspeak occasionally, but she just demonstrated through her posts (in terms of subject, writing style and opinions) that she was poorly educated, a bit dim, probably young, probably poor, definitely common.

That's the real reason she got a kicking. Anyone who thinks it was all about the gobbledegook textspeak is being less than honest with themselves.*

This is what im driving at and I agree with this. MN is big enough imo that the Tyson poster should be able to post and not get a kicking for the reasons above. Surely if you don't want to engage or think Troll, you just don't respond or report to MN?

MrsHoarder Tue 27-Nov-12 07:32:26

FOFF how many of the posters here even saw that thread? I didn't and was discussing the general case.

Southeastdweller Tue 27-Nov-12 07:09:43

I hadn't noticed any criticism or moaning about text speak or bad grammar confused

But personally, I can't bloody stand to read the text speak that goes on here and yes, I do judge people who do it. It's one reason I quit Facebook.

I thought the Tyson thing was a fake straight away. Who actually talks like that in rl? That's why I thought they got the response they did as people thought "here we go, another troll'.
SM, I'm happy to accept a range of comments on my blog thanks. However I draw the line at trolling and downright abuse. No Blogger or forum member should expect to pit up with that level.

FellatioNelson Tue 27-Nov-12 03:42:18

I think we are allowing this textspeak thing to cloud the real issue though. That Tyson poster only slipped into textspeak occasionally, but she just demonstrated through her posts (in terms of subject, writing style and opinions) that she was poorly educated, a bit dim, probably young, probably poor, definitely common.

That's the real reason she got a kicking. Anyone who thinks it was all about the gobbledegook textspeak is being less than honest with themselves. Anyone remember Cod's atrocious typing style? It never did her any harm, did it? We managed to decipher it well enough because we wanted to.

Do I want to spend hours talking to people like Tyson's mum on here? No, not really. They don't float my boat. I hope they will get bored and go away. It doesn't mean I enjoy seeing them humiliated though, not unless they have said/done something sufficiently wicked that means they deserve to be put in the stocks.

Still can't decide whether she was for real or not, but on balance I think she was.

fridgepants Mon 26-Nov-12 23:11:21

LadyBeagle, I am so working class that I had never tried it until I went 'up to university'. Nor pesto. When I came back at the end of my first term, my mum informed me that I had 'foreign breath'.

LadyBeagle Mon 26-Nov-12 22:59:04

How terribly mc of you fridgepants grin.

fridgepants Mon 26-Nov-12 22:56:43

I keep misreading 'netmums' as 'nethummus'

scottishmummy Mon 26-Nov-12 22:39:00

you shouldnt blog if you cannot tolerate anything other than praise
if you blog expect range of comments,some you likey,some not.
if youre not robust enough to tolerate it dont blog.by blogging you invite opinion

I didn't personally direct anyone to fuck off elsewhere, I just offered the advice that, should you not enjoy being here, for whatever reason, then no one makes you stay. I say the same to people who have openly or anonymously slag off my blog- no one makes you read it.

Latara Mon 26-Nov-12 21:10:57

YANBU smile

EverlongLovesHerChristmasRobin Mon 26-Nov-12 21:03:22

I've seen the odd text speaker on here. For sure. Memorable.

tittytittyhanghang Mon 26-Nov-12 20:59:57

No, she wasn't. Granted not very good english but eligible enough for all the piss taking after, with plenty of assumptions about the type of person she was, and where she did and didn't belong.

usualsuspect3 Mon 26-Nov-12 20:59:21

Who are 'they' ?

zeeboo Mon 26-Nov-12 20:57:45

They have baby centre and NMs though surely?

EverlongLovesHerChristmasRobin Mon 26-Nov-12 20:55:47

HOW did I miss that hair dye thread! Fucking fabulous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now