to think that mumsnet should be a website for all mums regardless

(398 Posts)
tittytittyhanghang Sun 25-Nov-12 17:18:21

of literacy and the way they speak/type and should be welcoming to everyone? I cant fucking stand this perceived superiority over certain posters that use text speak, use of hun, lol, x's etc or the suggestion that they are somehow unsuitable for this forum and should bugger off to the other one.

As as for the fucking grammer police, fuck the fuck off. Just because someone maybe didn't use capitals, or misspelt a word, or hasn't posted perfect english, doesn't open their post to ridicule.

Narked Sun 25-Nov-12 17:28:13

If you can't be bothered to write a legible post why should people bother reading it? Everyone makes spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. The odd typo is accepted. It's only the extremes that are picked up on.

The posts full of text speak and truly atrocious spelling are often trolls playing a part.

OhComeAllYeZombies Sun 25-Nov-12 17:28:16

The MNHQ stance on text speak can be found here:

www.mumsnet.com/info/accessibility

Kewcumber Sun 25-Nov-12 17:28:37

textspeak is difficult for people with visual impairments who use programmes to "read" words out so I think it should be discouraged.

But I do think the deliberate use of hectoring people about their spelling, grammar etc is a cheap shot. Mostly if I can understand a post I'll address the post, I'm a grown up and pretty literate myself so I can mostly understadn thigns even if they aren;t well written./

And I type so fast and badly taught that my posts are littered with typos anyway!

SoupDragon Sun 25-Nov-12 17:28:49

Adults using text speak deserve to be ridiculed IMO. Well, not actually ridiculed on my part but I do lower my opinion of them and their intelligence. Doesn't stop me helping if I could though.

If, as you say, MN should be a place for all mothers then you have to allow the grammar police the freedom to be here.

omletta Sun 25-Nov-12 17:29:02

Text speak is very hard to read.

A lack of punctuation also make a post hard to read.

Poor spelling and/or grammar is largely irrelevant IMO.

mrsscoob Sun 25-Nov-12 17:29:16

I think it is funny that people (myself included) don't have a problem with people using the word cunt but hate the word hun grin

YABU

YABU

(ponders the hypocrisy of typing "YABU" to condemn text speak)

:-)

Kewcumber Sun 25-Nov-12 17:30:32

And I have seen seen the grammar police harrass someones spelling on a thread without realising she is blind and dictates her posts and is entirely at the mercy of the programme if it picks a bizarre spelling. I do find it very humbling that she never points this out to anyone.

MumsGoToReykjavik Sun 25-Nov-12 17:30:36

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

tisnottheseasonyet Sun 25-Nov-12 17:30:47

Although soupdragon it could be argued that "MN" is a form of text speak, "IMO" definitely so...

MardyBra Sun 25-Nov-12 17:30:50

TessCow Indented paragraphs are so 1980s. shock

MardyBra Sun 25-Nov-12 17:31:39

Anyway, we all put up with Chaos. we can't be that bad.

<dusts typewriter>

Your point?

SaraBellumHertz Sun 25-Nov-12 17:32:00

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 25-Nov-12 17:32:38

Erm. An OP with the words fuck the fuck off in them isn't terribly inclusive though, is it?
Peace and love covers most things ime.
HTH
grin

WorraLiberty Sun 25-Nov-12 17:32:52

I'm just glad Shakespeare never got his hands on an Android grin

But soft, what light through yonder window breaks?
It is the east, and Juliet is the sun.
Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon,
Who is already sick and pale with grief

bt soft, w@ lyt thru yonDr windO breaks? itz d east, n Juliet S d sun. Arise, fair sun, n kil d nVS m%n, huz alrdy sick n pale W grief

mrsscoob Sun 25-Nov-12 17:33:23

Why was reykjaviks post deleted?

lljkk Sun 25-Nov-12 17:33:24

I'd rather txtspk than posters who can't write in paragraphs. So ½ YANBU.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 25-Nov-12 17:33:43

Personal attacks that are struck out will still be deleted btw

MumsGoToReykjavik Sun 25-Nov-12 17:33:50

I have always thought that the abbreviations used on forums are very different to text speak. Txt spk deliberately spells words wrong, dat and dis for example and some words are spelt/altered so ridiculously that you actually use more letters than if you spelt it correctly! Totes stupid innit?

InSPsFanjoNoOneHearsYouScream Sun 25-Nov-12 17:33:53

Or
Oi Romeo, wher da fuck iz u?

MumsGoToReykjavik Sun 25-Nov-12 17:34:50

Why was I deleted? I was just jokingly responding to what mrsscoob said!

McChristmasPants2012 Sun 25-Nov-12 17:35:11

i hate text speach, I can not read it and i am not prepared to learn it.

mrsscoob Sun 25-Nov-12 17:35:36

Oh yes I hate it when people don't use paragraphs, I never read those posts, it hurts my brain.

WorraLiberty Sun 25-Nov-12 17:35:49

SP!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now