To have been stressed out by Aldi

(67 Posts)
Loveweekends10 Sun 25-Nov-12 11:48:48

Just done a food shop at Aldi to save some money. It stressed me out. There was trolleys and pallets all over the place. At one point there was a backlog of people with trolleys who couldn't get down an isle. The food seemed to be stored in such a random way that I was back and forth. Then oh my god at the checkout he threw the food at me and it took 20 minutes to distress and sort my trolley out.
I cannot do that every week. AIBU?

I shop at aldi. I love it. Ours is very good, organised and the staff are polite. I did get a cats bum face from the checkout woman though the other day when she asked me halfway through through throwing my stuff at me was I paying by card or by cash and I replied I'll make that decision at the end when you give me the total!

Why do they ask you that? Is is because it shaves two seconds of the total time it takes to hurry a customer through the checkout or what?

RooneyMara Sun 25-Nov-12 13:45:56

Oh thanks Mary, yes I feel sorry for them too. I understand and I do get cross if people are VERY slow but what can you do.

Sometimes I think they do it on purpose. grin

BackforGood Sun 25-Nov-12 13:44:58

YABU.
Any supermarket you've not been in before / regularly takes a bit of getting used to the layout - that's not to do with it being Aldi.
You just have to work with the system. They are the absolute BEST supermarket for getting though quickly, simply because you don't have to wait while eveyone in front of you packs all their stuff. It all gets put in the trolley then you can spend as long as you want packing it into your own system.
I went to Morrisons this week - not even at the weekend, it was a Monday morning! - and it took 18 mins from when I joined the queue, until she started serving me. Give me Aldi anytime.

DowagersHump Sun 25-Nov-12 13:42:47

grin Rooney

dawntigga Sun 25-Nov-12 13:40:05

YABU and a bit wet.

FFSIt'sJustShoppingTiggaxx

Maryz Sun 25-Nov-12 13:38:58

I have to say, Rooney, You are very brave. I don't think I would use my local Aldi when 8 months pregnant. I think I would pay more and go somewhere a little more civilised.

I always feel sorry for little old ladies in Aldi (irritated at their slowness, but simultaneously sorry for them blush).

PeppermintCreams Sun 25-Nov-12 13:38:53

Unless I'm literally getting bread and milk, I always get a trolley. It's much easier.

I try and load all the heavy/bulky stuff onto the checkout first then the lighter stuff. I have two massive reusable bags that I have opened ready in the trolley and I packed them straight in after it's scanned. If the bags fill up there is normally space to put stuff in the rest of the trolley, and I repack it as I put it in the boot of the car. Toilet rolls, juice cartons, nappies I don't pack, just leave to one side in the trolley and just put on the parcel shelf of the car.

It works for me anyway. grin

SarahBumBarer Sun 25-Nov-12 13:38:12

Aldi is the ONLY shop that I specifically go to for things - their nappies, washing powder, washing up liquid are great. I've also stocked up on cremant de jura for Christmas because it is yum and so much better than any champagnes even close to my budget and I love their almond chocolate bars too. The packing is "abrupt" but you get used to it - as Maryz says they have really useful long conveyor belts so no excuse for being disorganised.

Oh and they have plenty of trolleys which can accommodate both a toddler and a baby.

Actually we could use a bit of a stock up - now that DH is stirring from his bed I might go and drag him off to Aldi :-)

RooneyMara Sun 25-Nov-12 13:36:55

S'Ok DH smile

you can't see me through the screen!

Violet77 Sun 25-Nov-12 13:36:51

You need to learn the tricks of the trade :-) shop with ikea bags, straight into the trolley so no repack. Put your items on the conveyor belt in categories, heavy first, meat together, fridge etc etc. ( you can pack these in smaler bags on your way round if you wish)

I also avoid weekends and find a big aldi so much better!!

I find it way less stressful than tesco as its so efficient when you master the above.

DowagersHump Sun 25-Nov-12 13:35:12

Oh sorry, yes I can see that sad

ILoveOnionRings Sun 25-Nov-12 13:33:49

The checkout system at Aldi can be an 'experience' if you are not used to it. I agree with other posters, put the large, heavy stuff first, then if you can load the travellator in a fashion eg fruit and veg, heavy stuff first then grapes and tomatoes last, same with fridge stuff etc. Pop a few big bags open in the trolley and then go for it.

It isn't Tescos, Sainsburys where you able to pack eveything neatly, in order in your bags but you do get used to it. I pop my card in my pocket after I have loaded the shopping so it is ready to pay. DH gets constant 'hurry ups' growled at him, then he tidies the bags while I pay.

We are in and out in 30minutes, takes about 5 mins more to unpack once home. Sometimes, especially when I goto Sainsburys I feel like I have lost hours in there.

RooneyMara Sun 25-Nov-12 13:32:59

That sounds like a good idea, Sam.

I wasn't actually aware there was a 'system' I was mucking up for everyone else, btw - maybe they ought to have a sign up saying trolleys are compulsory unless you want all your stuff to fall on the floor.

Once you get the hang of Aldi it's bloody brilliant.

ArtexMonkey Sun 25-Nov-12 13:31:14

I love lidl and aldi. I am generally clumsy and awkward in day to day life anyway, but I cope fine with the checkout system there. If it annoyed me enough that I felt upset or angry enough to get into an online ruck about it, I would just shop somewhere else I guess.

SamSmalaidh Sun 25-Nov-12 13:29:15

The other thing you can do is get an old lady style wheely shopping trolley - fill it as you're going round, organise your shopping on the conveyer belt so tins go first, eggs go last, and then as it goes through the til just scoop things straight into your trolley.

fedupofnamechanging Sun 25-Nov-12 13:29:04

I bought Blackforest stollen in there yesterday. How can a shop which sells such a thing, possibly be bad?

OP, the good thing about Aldi is that they don't fuck with the layout, so once you learn where everything is, it tends to stay there, so shopping is easier.

RooneyMara Sun 25-Nov-12 13:28:37

Because I have quite bad SPD and pushing something heavy is really bad for that and hurts more than carrying a basket.

Maryz Sun 25-Nov-12 13:28:11

And since in our Lidl (and Aldi) there is usually only one or possibly two tills open, one or two people trying to pack at the checkout can cause a near riot.

JackThePumpkinKing Sun 25-Nov-12 13:27:37

You don't pack at the til, take a folding crate, stick it in the trolley and put everything straight into that - no need to repack then!

(i do pack at the til if I have a basket - no choice, they take the baskets off you. I'm v quick though)

DowagersHump Sun 25-Nov-12 13:27:31

Why don't you get a trolley if you're 8 months' pregnant? confused

There is a long counter at the front of the store designed for you to sort your shopping

RooneyMara Sun 25-Nov-12 13:27:22

Mary, I'm not slowing anyone down, as I have just explained. They are getting on with their transaction while I am on the floor.

RooneyMara Sun 25-Nov-12 13:26:48

Yes I think I will have to, Sam. I find trolleys really hard at the moment but if that's the protocol, I'll have to do it.

Maryz Sun 25-Nov-12 13:26:44

Rooney if you have enough stuff for more than one bag, you should have a trolley.

Because whether you like it or not, and whether you think I'm being unfair or not (sorry about that), you are slowing the whole system down.

DowagersHump Sun 25-Nov-12 13:26:27

Link fail - try this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now