to suspect that the % of men who cheat is way way higher than most of us realise

(53 Posts)
soontobedivorced Sun 25-Nov-12 11:01:23

I have a friend who works in a very male-dominated work environment and sometimes they forget she is there. Boys talk and last week she told me that out of 20 of them, all married, 18 have mistresses and they are quite open about it between themselves. She was warned about the men before she started the job - in her boss's words: "they'll love you...be careful".

I'm (almost) divorced and been on dating sites for a year now and have been propositioned by many many men who openly admit they are married, and these are just the ones that admit it. Usually you can tell because they have no picture on their public profile.

I've been shocked by the amount of cheating that goes on, I must be so naive, I had no idea it was this bad, and its made me really pessimistic about finding a future partner. On the sites I just get messaged by guys who just want sex, guys who are married, guys who are odd, guys who are mentally ill. Internet dating just seems be be a massive hook-up site now and no-one seems to have a shred of moral fibre, its a nightmare.

garlicbaguette Sun 25-Nov-12 15:05:58

Wrong industry? grin

I loved my job, actually. The fact that many other people loved it for different reasons doesn't affect my enjoyment. I agree some of the remarks above are unfairly sexist.

skaen Sun 25-Nov-12 15:18:39

I work in a very male dominated area and have never heard any discussion of mistresses or affairs. In fact, the only time anyone's sex life is even remotely discussed us after the single men have a night out and generally crash and burn.

Otoh, I know 2 women who've had affairs. One is now married to her lover, the other is still married.

My personal view is that it is very common in jobs where there are lots of evenings out/ away days etc, especially where there is also a lot of travel and not so common otherwise, partly because there aren't the easy oppprtunities.

lovebunny Sun 25-Nov-12 17:47:08

women are so stupid. even when told directly 'we are having/have had' affairs, they don't believe it.
why do men do it? because they can. because the same women who won't believe their husband could get a woman, think they can have sex with other men and that doesn't count.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now