Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that if your pet has a terminal illness you should not just wait for it to die?

(16 Posts)
RockinD Sat 24-Nov-12 10:27:15

I have had animals all my life. I love them to bits, spoil them rotten and they live to a good age - my last cat was 18, my [rescue] dog at least 14, but when the chips are down, they are ill and they will definitely not recover, I have no hesitation, after discussion with my vet, in having them PTS. I think it's the last thing we do for the animals we love.

I have a friend whose cat now has terminal cancer. The animal is clearly in a bad way, although the vet says he is in no pain. The cat is holed up under the spare bed, not eating, not drinking, basically just waiting to die.

Am I being unreasonable to think this is cruel and to wonder whether I really want to be friends with this woman because of it?

OpheliaPayneAgain Sat 24-Nov-12 10:30:14

If the cat isn't in pain, why would you have it put down? It still has some quality of life and is loved.

You may choose not to be her friend because of her views but you might find she dumps you because you are judgemental.

I'm sure she wil have the cat PTS when the time is right.

LineRunner Sat 24-Nov-12 10:33:11

I think that when an animal cannot eat or drink then having it PTS is best if the vet will come to the house and do it.

I would rather one of my cats died at home if it were going to be fairly rapid and less traumatic for the cat than having to transport it, when ill, to the vet's surgery.

It's a really tricky one. Is there a vet who would come to her house?

Mrsjay Sat 24-Nov-12 10:33:19

I am sure your friend doesn't want her cat suffering but imo it it isn't eating and just waiting then I think she is being a bit cruel to her cat perhaps for her own benefit,
maybe the vet did say the cat would die though and be better at home ? i dont think you should stop being her friend though maybe try and chat to her about the cats quality of life, we had our 18yr old cat PTS because of kidney failure she had stopped eating and drinking it is heartbreaking but i really think when the time comes we should do the kindest thing for our pets

I had a neighbour who kept her dog alive the poor thing had terrible cancer in its spine it would yelp and she had to help it go to the toilet so unfair and cruel.

Don't agree, but I would need to be really sure the cat was in no pain.

Once I was convinced of that, really properly had the pain managed I would be curled up with my cat waiting for him to go.

Natural death is a part of life and death without pain is one I wish for myself and my adored animals. Unfortunately that rarely happens and I've never had the opportunity to love an animal right to the end, instead they've all had to be pts in a vets surgery - and that is a poor substitute than slipping away into a peaceful sleep.

Catsmamma Sat 24-Nov-12 10:36:24

I am with you OP...it's the ultimate responsibility to make sure your pet has a decent end

Different if the cat is pottering about, taking an interest in life, but that poor cat. sad

People are too keen to let nature take its course and not do the right thing.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Sat 24-Nov-12 10:37:06

If the cat won't eat or drink then it will be experiencing discomfort and probably pain.

How does a vet know if an animal is in pain or not?

I don't think the automatic answer is to put any animal with a terminal illness to sleep in every case. If a responsible and loving owner has considered it and decided against it, then there must be a reason.

Mrsjay Sat 24-Nov-12 10:40:26

If a responsible and loving owner has considered it and decided against it, then there must be a reason.

I think so no animal lover really wants their pet to suffer although I do hope the woman is keeping it alive because she doesn't want to lose her cat (if that makes sense)
outsiders can see things differently , my cat was diagnosed with renal failure 6 months before we had her PTS somebody told me oh you need to have it put down well no she was poorly but fine,

GhostShip Sat 24-Nov-12 10:43:20

Wow. Some friend you are.

Her pet is dying, she's taken it to the vet who says it's in no pain. She might not want to let go yet, and may want her pet to pass peacefully at home, with her.

It's a hard situation to be in, and you should be supporting your friend not judging her on a forum.

Sabriel Sat 24-Nov-12 10:56:56

My beloved cat died last year. Until the last day she was still eating and drinking, but sleeping most of the time. She was clearly not in pain, purring and enjoying being stroked.

On the last day she went downhill fast and I was debating at what point to call the vet, but I really didn't want to put her through the trauma of the hated cat box, a trip in the car and into the vets. I knew she was going - it wasn't that I wanted to selfishly hang on to her. I left her sleeping on a pillow in the kitchen and went out to put the washing out. When I came back in she'd gone sad

More recently my elderly lovebird was ailing. Every day I expected to find him dead but he kept hanging on. He started struggling to stay on the perch, and rolling around on the cage floor but still he hung on. I felt really guilty because he did seem to be fighting to hang on but I took him to the vet. He had no quality of life as far as I could see. The vet agreed with me.

freddiefrog Sat 24-Nov-12 11:01:40

My cat has a terminal brain tumour. She's also blind

But she's in no pain, still snuggles up for cuddles, mooches around in the garden and enjoys winding up the dog.

We keep a close eye on her but she still enjoys her life, so I'm not going to have her PTS just yet.

Once she shows signs that she's suffering, then we'll make the call.

It's a tough call to make.

LST Sat 24-Nov-12 11:07:59

I agree with you op. Quality of life imo includes eatingband drinking not waiting to die. The poor cat must feel rotten to not nourish itself. It doesn't understand why it feels the why it does..

LST Sat 24-Nov-12 11:08:23

* eating and drinking

OP you discussed with your vet and made the decision to have your pets PTS.

I discussed with my vet and had my 17 yo moggy (rescue) PTS.

Your friend has obviously discussed with her vet who says the cat is not in pain at the moment.
If it changes, I'm sure she'll review.
She knows her own pet.
Maybe she is too cowardly to let him go. But that's her decision to make. And at least the cat has been seen by his vet.

PessaryPam Sat 24-Nov-12 11:48:05

Sabrel this is how my cat went, she hated the vet and it was kinder to let her fade away naturally in her own home. She was very old and went very peacefully.

Astelia Sat 24-Nov-12 12:11:05

OP your friend has been told her pet is not in pain and she isn't ready to say goodbye yet. I can understand this.

I have a poorly house bunny who has had neck tilt since August. The vet says she is in no pain and has tried everything but to no avail. We now just keep her comfortable. She sleeps most of the time but she is eating and drinking and keeping herself clean. She has lots of cushions around her as she can't stand up without support.

It is distressing but I feel she has some quality of life and I can't bear the thought of her being PTS. The other bunny will be so bereft when she goes, it is an awful situation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now