to call my DH baby?

(59 Posts)
charlmarascoxo Fri 23-Nov-12 12:55:12

I've always called him baby, from about the third week of knowing him.

My friend told me that whenever I call him that it makes her absolutely cringe. She's really not the type to use pet names very often, so I don't mind her saying this but -

AIBU to not think I'm the only one to love calling my OH baby or is it rather cringe?

charlmarascoxo Fri 23-Nov-12 13:27:54

TaggieCampbellBlackFriday my DH calls me honey sometimes.

I asked him to call me princess but he refused! haha.

SarahBumBarer Fri 23-Nov-12 13:31:26

I call DH babes. It is quite cringeworthy. That's part of the point grin I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks.

My DH calls me "Gorgeous". That is truly cringeworthy blush he calls it out quite loudly smetimes and people turn to look and you can see the look of disappointment on their faces grin Also he called me that from day 1 and is terrible with names so it was quite clearly a means of not getting my name wrong. Remind me why I put up with him?

2rebecca Fri 23-Nov-12 13:34:49

Most pet names are cringy if overheard, I tend to choose blokes who don't give me silly names. I don't like spouses calling each other "mum" and "dad" either, seems a bit creepily incestuous but it's mainly the very old (70+) who do that. Could understand it if they are talking to their children but when it's a friend or colleague saying "I'll ask dad" is wrong.

MamaGeekChic Fri 23-Nov-12 13:36:27

Call him what you like in private, but pet names in public are cringe-y.

I call DH lovely, sweetie, baby,sexy, gorgeous and even <whispers it quietly> hubby.

I'm going to get myself chucked off MN for being so blatantly uncool aren't I?! grin

Ooh ooh I call him daddy too!! Do I win??!

I do the same, but don't usually call him anything other than Dave when we're out with others.

Turniphead1 Fri 23-Nov-12 13:40:05

Henriettachicken! daddy??? No no no no no.

LST Fri 23-Nov-12 13:40:20

I call DP daddy, bab and babe everywhere and anywhere. I don't give a hoot if anybody cringes. That's their problem.

Chopsypie Fri 23-Nov-12 13:43:33

I call mine gorgeous, and because Im -common- northern also call him gorge

He has a variety of names for me which range from chops to mint tits

Pet names are supposed to be cringey. Thats the point

upanddown83 Fri 23-Nov-12 13:44:37

Me and my DP always call each other baby, babe, darling, Hun and a variety of other probably cringeworthy (to other people) names and we don't care we love each other and really don't use our proper names unless we're arguing or writing cards!

SarahBumBarer Fri 23-Nov-12 13:44:55

I have to call him daddy in front of the children - DS shouting "babes" up the stairs to get his father's attention sounds all kinds of wrong!

LaCiccolina Fri 23-Nov-12 13:57:26

It's really naff all to do with ur mate. Babes or baby is perfectly normal pet name. Particularly around where I live. (U watched towie?!)

Catch ya laters babes!

charlmarascoxo Fri 23-Nov-12 14:04:17

Is it more cringe to display it on FB? Such as writing on his wall -

Baby you are my everything, I love you so much.

upanddown83 we are the same re arguing. If for example if his name was Ben, it soon changed to Benjamin when I'm really angry.

GreenyEyes Fri 23-Nov-12 14:05:37

Karen MacDonald always used to call Steve 'baby'. I always thought it sounded strange in a northern (my own) accent.

I can't talk, my husband calls me wifey and instead of being all cross, I go all soppy.

SantaisBarredfromhavingStella Fri 23-Nov-12 14:27:31

I used to call DH baby, still do occasionally. Who cares what your mate thinks as it has fuck all to do with her.

blueshoes Fri 23-Nov-12 14:31:37

Sorry it makes me cringe.

One of the reasons why I could not get into the Christian Grey character in Fifty Shades was because he used 'baby'. Urgh, instant passion killer.

GanglyGiraffe Fri 23-Nov-12 14:32:29

MIL calls her DP 'Baby-Cakes'. Makes me cringe every time!

MumsGoToReykjavik Fri 23-Nov-12 15:04:44

grin at Pedro and Spartacus!

BartimaeusNeedsMoreSleep Fri 23-Nov-12 15:21:46

"I don't like spouses calling each other "mum" and "dad" either"

I agree, although I do admit to speaking for DS (he's only 14 months) and saying things like "hey papa, can you change my nappy please" wink and also nicer things like sending a photo of DS by phone and texting "I love oyu papa"

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Fri 23-Nov-12 15:28:00

We call each other baby sometimes, in over the top Welsh accents (little in-joke)

But never in public! smile

MrsWolowitz Fri 23-Nov-12 15:28:57

It's cringey to use pet names in front of people but I guess really its none of their business.

DH and I do use pet names for each other but not in public.

Arf @ Spartacus grin

LalyRawr Fri 23-Nov-12 15:32:34

Oh gosh, me and my OH have ridiculous names for each other.

Ranging from babe/baby, Hun, sweetheart right to Pringle Head, Poodle Butt, Pea Brain and whatever else random names come into our heads at that precise moment.

The only time I call my OH By his name is when I'm annoyed at him.

LalyRawr Fri 23-Nov-12 15:33:18

Oh and not in public! In public it's normally 'oi, you with the face' or some other such romantic endearment.

BrainSurgeon Fri 23-Nov-12 15:35:33

<whispers> I call DP baby sometimes.... trying not to do it in public but yes it does slip. And we call each other Mummy and Daddy when DS is in the room.

However our proper pet name (we call each other the same thing) is really really cringeworthy.

It's Sausage.

blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now