Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think people who are really creative don't go around telling you so

(64 Posts)
jusfloatingby Fri 23-Nov-12 11:51:46

There's a woman at work who's always talking about how 'creative' she is and how she's such a 'creative thinker' and not 'a typical office type'. But at the same time there's no actual evidence of this creativity. I mean, she doesn't paint in her free time, or write novels, or wear really unusual clothes or live in an old converted house or somesuch. Even in work she doesn't come up with particularly original ideas etc. I've noticed this on The Apprentice as well. They're all falling over each other to tell everyone how creative they are while displaying no supporting evidence of this.
Has it just become fashionable to be a creative type nowadays?
I do have a couple of friends who are genuinely artistic but they just get on with it; they don't feel the need to go around telling everyone.
I'm not ranting or anything; she doesn't really put in or out on me. But I'm just curious as to why creative has become such a buzz word lately.

Janeatthebarre Mon 26-Nov-12 12:00:22

I have a sister in law who spends her life enrolling in creative writing classes, art courses, pottery lessons and anything else that's vaguely arty. Unfortunately, though, she's not the least bit creative but seems to really admire creative people and aspire to be like them. The sad thing is that she's actually very good at practical things like sorting out computer problems, putting together complicated flat pack furniture, understanding the instructions that come with new TVs and household gadgets, but instead of developing those skills into a satistying job or hobby she's determined to pursue things that she has no innate talent or flair for, then gets bored and moves on to the next artistic pastime.
However, if she's happy I suppose its none of my business. But I agree with posters on here that people who like to tell you they're creative are usually people who would like to be creative but are aware deep down that they're probably not.

WelshMaenad Fri 23-Nov-12 20:46:04

Last time someone asked me to think outside the box at work, I asked if I could go and think outside with a fag instead, as I might be more productive. I fucking hate corporate wank speak. An ex boss once described me as "his little blue sky thinker". I'm fucking 6ft tall, for starters. Arsewipe.

MadameCreeper Fri 23-Nov-12 20:41:22

An ex manager of mine was always thinking outside the box and every team meeting he would encourage us to think outside the box.

The most boringly predictable and conventional woman of my aquaintance tells me at least twice every time we meet..."I'm a bit of a rebel, me"

TheDuchessOfEarl Fri 23-Nov-12 18:05:42

The thing with the couple in Kirstie's (Tedious) Vintage Home is that the wife was previously an art teacher. How can someone with an arts background have so little creativity that they can't stick a few things on a dresser?

Creativity is something that other people recognise in you, not something that you can announce you have (well IMO anyway)

UrbanSpaceManBaby Fri 23-Nov-12 18:04:15

I was once introduced on a hen night as 'the wacky one' awful, I do interesting stuff and I'm socially skilled enough to generally pull something interesting out of the company I find myself in. But I'm not a clown for hire and it was like pulling teeth that night.

My mil identifies herself as creative but really it's just painting-by-numbers.

thebody Fri 23-Nov-12 16:59:08

Because she thinks it makes her sound interesting and beautiful.

She sounds a boring pain in the arse.

I am not creative at all which is shite as my dh and all the kids are but then I am boringly practical,. While they decorate the Christmas tree I Hoover the fuckin pine needles!!

cheekybaubles Fri 23-Nov-12 16:55:37

grin

jusfloatingby Fri 23-Nov-12 16:52:23

Is that an accountant who wears indian smocks and burns joss sticks??

cheekybaubles Fri 23-Nov-12 16:48:32

Was just thinking could do with a creativeaccountant grin

jusfloatingby Fri 23-Nov-12 16:36:09

No Cheeky. No accountants here.

NotMostPeople Fri 23-Nov-12 16:32:01

arghhh 'hear' not 'here'.

NotMostPeople Fri 23-Nov-12 16:31:34

We are a creative household and there are times when I might say it but it's occasional and often to do with the dc's. Ie. we like X school because they have great art facilities and we're a creative family. I can here how wanky it sounds so I rarely say it.

I think in general that if you have to point out an attribute then you don't have it. My mother is always telling me that my step father is very intelligent, surely this should be obvious (and it's not).

cheekybaubles Fri 23-Nov-12 16:24:31

You are not accountants are you op? grin

RichardSimmonsTankTop Fri 23-Nov-12 16:06:16

All my friends say I'm mad! I can't help it - I guess I'm just a free spirit.

I like the expression 'the empty can rattles the most'. OP, your colleague is trying to fill a void. It's silly because I'm sure there's something she's good at - we all have our strengths and we should be proud of them even if our greatest strength is sorting recycling efficiently.

AlexReidsLonelyBraincell Fri 23-Nov-12 15:52:59

People who describe themselves as "like, so random" hmm are usually more often cunts.

orangeandlemons Fri 23-Nov-12 15:34:41

OooohI love that link between Maths art and science. They are all interlinked. I think this is something tht is never considered in schools. I defo agree with creativity and maths. Do has degree in maths me thinks in much much more creative way than me who hs a degree in design.

valiumredhead Fri 23-Nov-12 15:27:50

redsky I snorted too - anyone with half a creative bone in their body would have been able to come up with what Kirsty did ffs!

ClippedPhoenix Fri 23-Nov-12 15:14:37

What's bubbly anyway? Does she squirt a bit of fairy liquid up her backside every morning? grin

freddiefrog Fri 23-Nov-12 15:03:21

Oh, god 'wacky'.

There's a woman who works in our local pub who constantly tells anyone in earshot how she's 'mad' and 'bubbly'

No, you're just irritating!

WelshMaenad Fri 23-Nov-12 14:55:28

Oh sweet lord, people who are "wacky".

I used to work with a guy who liked to do stupid, annoying things all the time, including playing quite cruel practical jokes, and put it all down yo being "wacky as hell, me!".

Until he round me up past the point of return, upon which I told him "you're not wacky, Kevin, you're just a cunt". Amazing how he instantly reigned in that wackiness!
[/rant]

honeytea Fri 23-Nov-12 14:53:39

I just find it strange when people talk about their positive attributes, it would be like someone sitting there and going on about how athletic they are or how academic they are.

I think creativity can be expressed in most aspects of a person's life. You can be a creative mother and make dens and join in with imaginative play, you can find creative ways to solve problems in the work place, you can be creative in the kitchen. I don't think you actually need to have a finished craft/artwork to live a creative lifestyle, but having said that to go on about what a creative person you just makes you sound like a talking CV.

freddiefrog Fri 23-Nov-12 14:42:40

YANBU!

My SiL constantly bangs on about how creative she is. She makes and sells 'cutting edge' jewellery at craft fairs, but all her work has been done before, many times over (Scrabble tile rings, etc), a lot better. It's nice enough, but creative and cutting edge?

My eldest daughter is very arty and SiL likes to take all the credit for it.

I used to make wedding cakes for a living (I still do a bit but I pick and choose what I do), but that's not creative at all apparently.

jusfloatingby Fri 23-Nov-12 14:34:51

I always laugh when I hear or read of people saying 'I like to surround myself with creative people'. It just sounds so daft, like a load of people are paraded before them on a conveyor belt and some of the lucky ones get chosen to 'surround' the aspirational artist/writer whatever.

Corygal Fri 23-Nov-12 13:28:55

It's one of those words that make me cringe. Only people I know who use it are a) try-hards who do nowt b) sell fridges wackily, at best.

The arts/science split is a modern, well, 18th century hangover. No one saw it as any type of difference before then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now