WIBU to wear jeans, Converse and a blazer to an "interview" ;?

(99 Posts)
StaceeJaxx Thu 22-Nov-12 17:27:02

Been on the dole for 3 months now since DH was made redundant. About 6 weeks ago they changed things around and I now have an "advisor" I see every 2 weeks when signing on. She is supposed to do everything she can to improve my chances of getting a job. (And she's surprisingly, very nice). She arranged for me to go on a CV course a month ago where they re-jigged my CV to make it more up to date and professional. They were supposed to email me the finished CV 2 weeks ago, and haven't hmm but that's another thread.

Anyway she signed me up to get some work experience (which is pretty much like workfare - working for a certain period of time but still receiving JSA) because I've been a SAHM for the past 11 years. I was put on the list and told I'd get a call when something became available. At the time I asked work clothes, because I don't own anything remotely work friendly. I wear jeans and leggings all the time and TBH look a right scruff most of the time too. I can't afford to buy new work clothes (can't even afford a shite pair of jeans from Primark for £6)! She said we could sort something out when I get a placement.

I got a phonecall from the Jobcentre today about a work placement. I have to go to an interview first and then they'll let me know if I am successful. The interview is tomorrow at 10am. I have nothing appropriate to wear. The smartest thing I have is dark blue jeans, with a dark vest top and a black blazer on top. Would that be appropriate? Would Converse look best with the jeans (Converse are white) or would black boots be better? Boots are very scuffed an old but might be better than white trainers?

Cherylkerl Thu 22-Nov-12 20:04:38

Good luck smile

Cherylkerl Thu 22-Nov-12 20:04:43

Good luck smile

TheMysteryCat Thu 22-Nov-12 20:06:32

The job centre have a small grants pot for people to buy interview clothes. Ask them for next time.

Good luck!

Mollydoggerson Thu 22-Nov-12 20:08:05

Also, if you get a chance tell them you really want the job, I have been the interviewer and sometimes (depending on the role), the eagerness of the person carries alot of weight. show them you really are enthousiastic about the job.

Best of luck.

Beachcomber Thu 22-Nov-12 20:11:59

Good luck!

Dress the best you can with what you have - IRON your clothes so that they look smarter (I say this as someone who thinks ironing is a waste of time and energy but here it could make a difference to your overall smartness).

Go with very clean hair, nails, shoes etc. Give yourself plenty of time to get ready and be very punctual.

Fingers crossed for you.

MrsDeVere Thu 22-Nov-12 20:17:35

I think there are a few people on here who do not quite understand the concept of being skint.

If you have not got a job how can you kit yourself out in case you get one? And lets not forget the OP is not going to have more money in her pocket in a months time because this is workfare, not a salaried job.

If you are a size 20 its not easy to pop into any shop and pick up a bargain.

And a bargain when you are on benefits is 50p not £20.

Good Luck and keep your eye out for suitable stuff over the next few weeks so you can have an emergency interview outfit.

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 22-Nov-12 20:19:27

Meant to say in my first post, best of luck with the interview smile

I'm sure you'll look nice. Best of luck with the interview.

PolterGoose Thu 22-Nov-12 21:34:10

What MrsDeVere said

And loads of luck for tomorrow thanks

hermioneweasley Thu 22-Nov-12 21:38:10

Good luck! Tell them you want t do the job and are excited about the opportunity - it's amazing how rare that is!

Good luck for the interview! Glad you found something to wear.

ThatVikRinA22 Thu 22-Nov-12 21:53:01

i had a friend who for interviews sent for a decent quality suit from Next, kept the tags in, just wore the suit for the interview (literally) then sent it back in pristine condition.

i know its cheating but....
unless you can borrow its all i can think of.

come to think of it, get a Next directory - they have some great washable suits for very little money - if you could pay each month it would be pennies for a suit.

is that an option so you have some decent work wear for when you have "real" interviews?

ThatVikRinA22 Thu 22-Nov-12 21:56:50
hk78 Thu 22-Nov-12 22:03:07

Elastic hairband looped through the buttonhole then wrapped round the button for a bit extra security.

Black opaque tights underneath in the same colour as the trousers to minimise any gaps?

Size 20 and cheap = Asda, Tesco, Peacocks, Store 21, and many charity shops do too.

Good luck smile

SomethingProfound Fri 23-Nov-12 12:34:18

How did it go OP?

StuntGirl Fri 23-Nov-12 14:14:19

Hope the interview went well Stacee!

careergirl Fri 23-Nov-12 14:29:19

I thought happy to be corrected on this that you are entitled to a small grant for clothing you may need to wear to an interview etc?

StaceeJaxx Fri 23-Nov-12 14:32:43

Thanks for asking. smile It went quite well. After all my fretting it was actually quite informal. He was very nice, explained about the business, what I would be doing etc. He said the placements usually last 10 days, and that in the past year they've had 11 people on placement and 6 of them have been given a job! So I have to email my CV over to him, (as the jobcentre were supposed to send him all my info but of course they didn't hmm), and he said he has some more candidates to see this afternoon and on Monday and he'd ring me next week.

StuntGirl Fri 23-Nov-12 14:41:24

Will keep my fingers crossed for you smile

YDdraigGoch Fri 23-Nov-12 14:52:58

How did it go OP?

I've got my fingers crossed.

GlitKnit Fri 23-Nov-12 18:31:54

Clothing ?

cranverry Fri 23-Nov-12 18:48:23

Fingers crossed for you.

diddl Fri 23-Nov-12 18:59:27

All the best for Monday!

I think it´s horrible that people wear stuff with the tags in & then take it back.

Then some poor sod pays full whack for second hand stuff.

Or is that OK because they can afford it & the other person couldn´t?hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now