Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

'DH' sets his alarm for 06.10 but doesn't bloody get up until 6.45!

(68 Posts)
sandyballs Tue 20-Nov-12 09:02:43

He snoozes it and drifts off into another lovely sleep, I'm lying there FUMING.
He don't get what the problem is. I don't want to wake up that early every bloody morning. angry

Bodyclock

For heavy sleepers/hard to wake types, the light slowly comes on 30 minutes before the alarm. It has the effect of "waking the brain" up, before you physically wake up. So when alarm goes off you wake up bright.

Changed my life, essential in the winter.

I do this blush
its like i dont hear the alarm really. im not awake.

JudeFawley Tue 20-Nov-12 09:37:48

No, no, no! YANBU.

My dh is required to leap out of bed the second his alarm goes off. He is also required to have his clothes in the bathroom and not disturb me again.

I would be so grumpy if he pressed the snooze button.

LadyHarrietdeSpook Tue 20-Nov-12 09:38:29

OP I would have felt sorry for you except mine sets it for FIVE and let's it go to 6.15. Or did, until I went completely insane. Did this on a morning I'd gotten home from work at 11 pm too.

AlienRefluxLooksLikeSnow Tue 20-Nov-12 09:40:53

My DP does this and the baby sleeps in our room!!!! Really annoying.

putonyourredshoes Tue 20-Nov-12 09:47:19

From earlier replies it seems to be mainly a male habit but YABU because I do it and it drives my DH mad, we are very gender neutral in our house.

I do it so I can listen to the news and stuff before I get up. If you leave it any later than 6.10am you don't get the business stuff and have to put up with the sport.

My DP has narcolepsy, he struggles to wake up - first alarm goes off at 6.00am, second at 6.30am, then: 6.45, 7.00, 7.15, 7.30 and finally 7.45am

I hate it, as it means if I've had a bad night with the little one - we're both wide awake at 6am again. However he can't help it, so I try not to be too mean about it. Sometimes I do have to vent, and thank goodness for my blog!

lottiegarbanzo Tue 20-Nov-12 09:50:21

How can anyone not understand that this is annoying? They'd have to lack empathy to the point of being a psychopath.

He should probably live alone. Definitely sleep alone.

CrunchyFrog Tue 20-Nov-12 09:50:46

It's really annoying. XH did it, and I had to go in EVERY MORNING and get him up anyway.

If it's so hard to get up, go to bed earlier!

Maybe that's U, I don't seem to need much sleep. But still!

I can't believe so many people are putting up with this! I totally agree with HipHop, it's not a necessity that they do this, it's a habit and one they can change.

I also used to be like this, and on days when my DH isn't here I might still indulge.

But it's just rude and selfish to steal someone else's sleep, I never do this when DH is here.

At the very least your partners should make a good faith effort to change their waking habits -- those light clocks are supposed to be really good. Or do what they can to improve their sleep overall, so they are not so tired in the morning.

x-post

Obviously people with sleep disorders not included in my comments!

Grumpla Tue 20-Nov-12 09:55:23

YANBU.

My DH and I often have to get up early for work - the rule is latest possible alarm and get dressed in the hallway. We don't even switch the bathroom light on in case the fan wakes up the other person or the kids! It is simple consideration.

Stabstabstabstabstab!

I retaliate by giving him a very awakening nudge whenever I'm up with the insomniac DC in the night.

Kethryveris Tue 20-Nov-12 09:57:17

dhs is allowed to go off twice, he has to get up at 4.30am for a 5.45am start every other week.

only once did it go off more than twice and i informed him if he did it again i would insert it sideways where the sun doesnt shine, and i was serious. He gets "Get up or turn it off" growled at him now.

dreaming yes he is much better now we have light clock with birdsong alarm.

Still bloody bone idle though.

x2boys Tue 20-Nov-12 10:01:51

My dh does this but sometimes forgets to set snooze so wakes up in a mad panic .I once came back from a night shift to find him still in bed at 08.15 he was supposed to be at work at 0700? We both work opposite shifts for childcare reasons and when its my turn to get up i have to get up as soon as alarm goes off to iron uniforms etc [ which i should of done night before] whilst dh just gets himself up and goes on his merry way very annoying!

InNeedOfBrandy Tue 20-Nov-12 10:04:04

I do this, I have 4 different times set on ipod, one on phone and one proper alarm clock. I still really struggle I just prefer being up at night then the day. I love my bed and hate getting up.

dreaming I too am shocked how many people are putting up with/suffering with this on a daily basis.

cees Tue 20-Nov-12 10:08:32

Oh dh used to do this, he doesn't anymore (evil grin)

NaiceSpam Tue 20-Nov-12 10:10:47

YANBU it's soooo annoying!

BUT - please get him a Wake Up Light. It starts switching on about half an hour before the time you've set it for, and starts really quietly. Mine DP's is set to have the radio wake us up, so it's very gentle and really works. I have never ever slept through it - I open my eyes bang on the exact minute I've set it for, you'd think with just a dim light and gentle chattering would take ages to wake you up, but it doesn't. I just flick it off and get out of bed and DP sleeps on for however long he wants.

On the other hand, that's because I am considerate enough to flick it off straight away. But when you flick it off the sound goes off but the light stays on so it is easier to not go back to sleep, and a dim light staying on for a few minutes while I wake myself up doesn't wake up DP.

I bought DP's for xmas last year and now can't imagine trying to wrench myself out of bed by a loud blaring in the dark!

NaiceSpam Tue 20-Nov-12 10:11:37

Oh. X-post HipHop.

MissVerinder Tue 20-Nov-12 10:12:01

My DP ruined my maternity leave with this, it's so frustrating.

Set his alarm for 7, snoozed it until 8 (had to be at work for 8.30)

I always have problems getting him up for work, so I just let it go; I told him I wasn't his mother and if he was consistently late and got the sack I was out.

I slept on the sofa for a few nights so he didn't disturb me with the snoozing and it seemed to cure the problem grin

(He doesn't have problems getting up at 5am to go out on his motorbike, BTW).

YANBU, it's awful sad

HipHop, shocked is the word.

I mean don't get me wrong, I know we all have our sleep preferences and they can be really hard habits to break, and sleep is really important. But isn't part of living together about adjusting our habits so as not to torture our partners? I can't imagine getting to a point where I would know my habits were leaving my partner fuming and without sleep and just not caring or doing anything about it. I'm not sure psychopath is the word for it lottie grin but I don't know, to me it just seems really really selfish.

PurpleGentian Tue 20-Nov-12 10:13:59

You have my sympathies OP.

DH's alarm also goes off much earlier than I would find necessary. He is a very very heavy sleeper and it takes an awful lot to wake him up if he's not fully rested.

It's very very annoying, as it wakes me up.

But for DH, this isn't just a bad habit. He genuinely does not wake up. It's not a case of him hitting the snooze button when the alarm goes off - he's still lying there snoring away, completely oblivious. We've tried a light clock, and those are equally ineffective as far as DH is concerned they wake me up though

bedmonster Tue 20-Nov-12 10:18:01

My DP does this and while it used to drive me mad being woken up at 6 (when he doesn't get up til 7) I now get up at 6 and go for a run. I was finding it difficult to fit it into the day anyway so it's the perfect use of time.
I get home just as he's getting out of the shower so I can jump straight in.

I still think it's stupid though, and wonder why he wouldn't rather have an extra proper hour of sleep than a broken hour of shitty dozing confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now