AIBU to ask why The Gruffalo is so very popular?

(143 Posts)
octaviarose Mon 19-Nov-12 21:39:42

I don't really understand why the Gruffalo is so very popular as a children's book, please someone explain the enormous appeal.

It's brilliant! Though I love jd in general and I'd rate a number of her other books higher than grufflo.
And you can sing along to gruffalo soldier. Which always amuses me.

Have you read any others? Snail and the whale is brilliant. Squash and a squeeze is good.

MammaTJ Mon 19-Nov-12 21:42:06

I do not know, ask my DS who is Gruffalo obsessed!! It is harmless though, so all good. grin

FreudiansSlipper Mon 19-Nov-12 21:42:15

shock

it's frigging fantastic the cartoon is too. Sadly ds does not want me to read it to him anymore sad

SirBoobAlot Mon 19-Nov-12 21:42:40

The Gruffalo is brilliant. It is a wonderful story smile Julia Donaldson is very talented, all of her books are a huge hit here.

DS adores Gruffalo though smile

picnicbasketcase Mon 19-Nov-12 21:43:28

The charming illustrations, sweet storyline, the rhyming helps young children who have just started learning to read, the comical aspect of a main character being small and vulnerable outwitting everyone around him... Stuff like that I expect.

Bingdweller Mon 19-Nov-12 21:43:35

The Gruffalo in Scots is fantastic!

Glittertwins Mon 19-Nov-12 21:44:22

I dread to think how much she has made from us ever since they were bought The Gruffalo by my oldest friend!

sidandlinus Mon 19-Nov-12 21:44:40

as well as book, we used to have the audio tape with imelda staunton - really brilliant stuff - DD loved it - worth looking out for.

Welovecouscous Mon 19-Nov-12 21:44:45

Ds loves the scariness of the gruffalo pictures!

Disappearing Mon 19-Nov-12 21:45:16

The DVD version is fab, way better than the book, the music is so enchanting.

I would agree that the plot is a little weak though. My DC are totally disinterested in the book.

TheMysteryCat Mon 19-Nov-12 21:46:30

Beautiful writing! Jd understands language development, rhyme and rhythm for children, but also creates books that parents enjoy reading too. We've got all of her books. Tabby mctat is a big favourite

CSIJanner Mon 19-Nov-12 21:46:51

The stage show is fab, however it was totally trumped by the Hungry Caterpillar puppet show. Fantastic!

Pancakeflipper Mon 19-Nov-12 21:47:19

It's because the nut was good.

It's cos you can do fantastic voices and the mouse triumphs the Gruffalo. And you can spot the squirrel, frogs, woodpecker etc.

SminkoPinko Mon 19-Nov-12 21:47:25

I have always thought it is vastly overrated too. It's not bad but not a proper classic like The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Green Eggs and Ham or The Tiger who came to Tea. I think Toddle Waddle is JD's finest work, personally.

honeytea Mon 19-Nov-12 21:47:35

It's a fantastic book! I read it with kids with very basic English skills and they just love the sound of the words and the pictures.

derekthehamster Mon 19-Nov-12 21:48:05

I always preffered 'Room on a broom'

derekthehamster Mon 19-Nov-12 21:48:34

preferred blush

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Mon 19-Nov-12 21:48:35

Ds likes to shout "Woof" (I don't know what noise foxes make sorry grin), "Twit Twohoo" "Hisssssss" "Squeak" and "Grrrrr" at the appropriate moment throughout the book so he can't actually hear the rest of the story.

And with the Gruffalo's Child he also gets to shout "Stick" and "Moon" a lot too. It makes him happy.

millie30 Mon 19-Nov-12 21:49:58

DS loves the Gruffalo, although his favourite by Julia Donaldson is The Smartest Giant In Town. I think it's the repetition and the illustrations that appeal to him.

maddening Mon 19-Nov-12 21:50:34

It's fab tis why smile I know it off by heart now as ds has a thing for grabbing the book or turning all the pages so it's best just to recite it smile

Because DD is so cute when she tries to kiss the Gruffalo's mouth. I love the rythym, and the illustrations, and the sheer ingeniousness of the Mouse.

Glittertwins Mon 19-Nov-12 21:50:58

A trip to Room on the Broom at the theatre is their Christmas present this year smile

louisianablue2000 Mon 19-Nov-12 21:51:18

YANBU. I do not get why JD is quite so dominant in picture books, there are others who are better. Not fussed about Axel Scheffler's illustration, I don't hate them but I don't adore them like some others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now