Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To say yes and take the money?

(22 Posts)
WelshMaenad Mon 19-Nov-12 12:50:47

I live in a small street of 13 houses, one us a rental owned by a lovely couple who live in Essex. They did us a favour some time ago by refusing to accept a known troublemaker as a tenant and we're very friendly now. I hold a key for emergencies and showed the house to potential tenants last time round to save them the journey. Tenant recently did a glut and I have just shown the house to a couple who have paid a deposit and will be taking the tenancy.

Problem is, the last tenant left a load of crap in the house which I've offered to shift so the new tenants can move in ASAP. It'll be an hour or two of cleaning plus schlepping some stuff to the tip.

I've never accepted any money for showing tenants etc despite them pressing - they sent me a big bunch if flowers last time. Landlady has said that she must pay me the going rate for clearing/cleaning though, and to be honest we could really use the cash, as well as it covering my petrol etc.

WIBU to let her pay me for this, or am I being grasping?

WelshMaenad Mon 19-Nov-12 12:51:17

Flit not glut!!!

ShamyFarrahCooper Mon 19-Nov-12 12:52:24

Not grasping at all! It's nice to have a nice relationship but you are offering your services which they would pay heavily for otherwise. YANBU

SoupDragon Mon 19-Nov-12 12:52:26

Take the money. This is more work than showing a few people round occasionally.

YANBU - you are helping her out (and prob still saving her money) - you could do with the money, she is happy to pay. It's a no brainer, take the money smile

SoupDragon Mon 19-Nov-12 12:53:13

You might want to make a comment that you are still happy to do the usual stuff free of charge but this payment will be most appreciated.

Hopeforever Mon 19-Nov-12 12:55:18

Accepting money is fine

RichTeas Mon 19-Nov-12 12:56:35

If you don't accept the money, she will feel like she is imposing upon you. Accept it gracefully and say you'll go out for a nice meal with it (whether you do or not) which makes it seem like less of a payment and more of an appreciative treat.

WelshMaenad Mon 19-Nov-12 13:22:09

She knows me well enough to know I'll spend it on rum!

expatinscotland Mon 19-Nov-12 13:23:42

YANBU! Why not? She's offering and you're doing a good job?

091972 Mon 19-Nov-12 14:47:12

YANBU as she's offering to pay & I'm sure she wouldn't offer if she didn't feel it was justified...agree with RichTeas...if you don't accept she may feel bad about asking you for favours if and when the need should arise in the future.

MsNobodyAgain Mon 19-Nov-12 14:48:30

Take the money.

I have a friend whose son I babysit overnight once a month. She paid me £50 the first few times. I told her not to bother, but then she spent money on a massive bunch of flowers and really nice pj's for the kids.

Now I just take the money grin

BonaDea Mon 19-Nov-12 14:51:08

YANBU

You can of course tell her that you'll still do the other bits and bobs for free, but I think in the lead up to Christmas it would be fine to say "actually, thanks very much, it would be great if you could pay me the going rate".

I'm a landlord and seriously it can be soooo tricky to get stuff like this sorted - how do you get people in to do stuff for just a couple of hours, get them the keys, how do you know they're reliable. She'll be chuffed to have someone doing it she trusts, who has keys and that she can rely on. Seriously, the money is probably the least of her worries - you are offering her convenience and getting the job done. Go for it smile

(p.s. you don't live in Scotland, do you grin)

Take the money, you can always make the point that it's not why you'll do it but she may well be more comfortable paying you.

Peanutbutterfingers Mon 19-Nov-12 14:52:28

Take the money, honestly. I have lovely neighbours who help me out a lot with childcare, but because they will never accept any money I hate to ask them except in an absolute emergency because there doesn't seem to be anything I can do in return and don't want them to think I'm taking piss.

It must be a real weight off their shoulders to know there's someone reliable and trustworthy who's happy to help out

PickledFanjoCat Mon 19-Nov-12 14:53:59

Take the money! I probably wouldn't for just showing people around but that's proper work is that!

You'll be doing her a favour as if you don't she will feel all weird about it.

Kendodd Mon 19-Nov-12 14:54:46

They want to give it to you and will probably feel bad if you don't accept it.

Take the money.

McChristmasPants2012 Mon 19-Nov-12 14:55:54

Take the money

MulledWineOnTheBusLady Mon 19-Nov-12 14:58:47

YA absolutely NBU. I would feel very uncomfortable not paying someone to do work like that. in fact I'd probably ask you not to do it and get someone in from an agency at much greater expense - so a good result for nobody! smile

zlist Mon 19-Nov-12 16:23:30

YANBU
They should and clearly want to pay you. They will probably be relieved and grateful if you take the money.

WilsonFrickett Mon 19-Nov-12 16:41:50

Take the money. She'll feel better and will probably ask you to do other bits and pieces in the future. If you don't take it she'll feel like she's imposing on you and will never ask you to do anything again. If you're really comfortable doing the odd show-round for nothing, then let her know, but just say 'yes, actually that would be appreciated.'

amothersplaceisinthewrong Mon 19-Nov-12 16:43:50

Take the money, she can knock it off andy profit she might make and save a bit of tax...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now