To want to tell my friend she looks exactly like her DP's Ex?

(20 Posts)
qwertina Sat 17-Nov-12 20:22:49

Basically, a good friend of mine has been with her DP for 9 months and is very happy with him. They met through a mutual friend.

Her DP seems nice and they are now talking about moving in together. He always tells her how attracted he was to her since the first moment he saw her.

Anyway, I went out with a group of people from my primary school - my friend does not socialize with them. There was a woman who looked just like her, the same hair colour and style, figure, they even move in the same way and could easily pass as sisters. I mentioned it to one of the people I was with, who vaguely knows her. It turns out she is my friend's DP's Ex. They were together for 6 years.

I am now wondering whether to say anything to my friend, I think she would be deeply hurt to know that the instant attraction was probably due to her looking like his ex. And I don't want her to know that I knew and didn't say anything. I am struggling to imagine what I would feel like if I was her and found out. I might be massively overthinking it, I have known for over a month and it is really bugging me.

ajandjjmum Sat 17-Nov-12 20:23:52

Maybe he just finds that physical type attractive? Don't think it's worth causing a fuss over.

RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock Sat 17-Nov-12 20:24:05

Don't say a word.

Whatnowffs Sat 17-Nov-12 20:24:44

DON'T TELL HER FFS!

Bunbaker Sat 17-Nov-12 20:25:01

What is there to gain by telling her? It isn't anything to do with you.

squoosh Sat 17-Nov-12 20:25:08

Some people just have a type. All of Boris Becker's girlfriends have looked very alike. If they're both happy I wouldn't say anything. She may already know, if she doesn't she'll see a photo at some stage.

FromEsme Sat 17-Nov-12 20:25:42

You're over-thinking this. People generally go for a physical type, so it's hardly surprising.

Not me though. I'll go out with anyone.

qwertina Sat 17-Nov-12 20:25:46

Probably, although they really look remarkably similar.

FromEsme Sat 17-Nov-12 20:26:22

But why on earth would you tell her? I really think this is quite an odd thing to be worried about.

qwertina Sat 17-Nov-12 20:26:35

Ah great, kind of what I wanted to hear smile

missymoomoomee Sat 17-Nov-12 20:28:39

What would anyone gain by you telling her?

Would it help her? Would it help him? Would it benefit their relationship?

He hasn't cheated or anything his only 'crime' is probably being attracted to a certain type. Keep your nose out.

mrskeithrichards Sat 17-Nov-12 20:30:46

Esme you made me laugh!

Op don't tell!

Look at rod stewart, all his recent partners are identical!

qwertina Sat 17-Nov-12 20:33:25

Very true about Rod! I shall keep my mouth shut.

squoosh Sat 17-Nov-12 20:34:20

If you're friend is Penny Lancaster don't worry about it, I think she may already know!

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Sat 17-Nov-12 20:34:35

I was quite shocked when I met my husbands ex for the first time (some 15 odd years ago).

She was the same height as me, she had blue eyes, blonde curly hair, and slim. Just like me. We looked at each other and started laughing. He just said "great, see you have found each other and hit it off)

It is just that dh likes blonde women with curly hair and blue eyes.

MikeLitoris Sat 17-Nov-12 20:35:23

My dp has had 3 serious gfs.

We all have a similar look.

So what?

BarredfromhavingStella Sat 17-Nov-12 20:38:55

No don't tell her, just forget it-as said previously we all tend to have types & that's all this is, by telling her you may cause a problem unnecessarily.

MummytoKatie Sat 17-Nov-12 21:05:32

The first time I found a photo of dh's ex I had about a second when I thought it was me.

He has a definite physical type (average height, sporty build, long fair hair, girl next-door look.)

GrendelsMum Sat 17-Nov-12 21:08:07

I'm the total, total opposite (physically) to DH's ex - think her = tall blonde Swedish woman, me = tiny Italian type. I find that quite freaky, to be honest.

qwertina Sat 17-Nov-12 21:11:49

None of my previous bf's look alike, I am attracted to the person and what they are like rather than just their looks which is probably why I find it weird. But I do appreciate that people have certain types.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now