To think protesters shouting"stop killing children"should have thought twice about doing it outside the only two kids shoe shops in town?

(133 Posts)
PolkadotCircus Sat 17-Nov-12 18:12:25

Trying to get my head round this so advice please.

I have a lot of sympathy re the Palestine situation however today I just had to get ds 9 new shoes.Soooo I dragged the 3 dc(9,9and7) to the only two kids shoe shops in town outside of which was a protest re the current situation in Palestine.The above slogan was pretty much the only thing being shouted.

One of my dc is very sensitive.Whilst we try and explain world events there are things we have to shield him from as he worries,gets scared and can think too much.The other 2 are fine.

Soooo this protest was literally below the window of said shoe shop.Ds froze and bombarded me with questions which I tried to answer.He has since been asking a lot this afternoon re "where do they kill children,why" etc.You couldn't really escape it in town as it was up and down the same street(to be fair the only place to protest).

Now I know my dc are lucky enough to live in a safe country and I know kids shouldn't be sheltered forever from nasty world events(I've explained the crux of the 2nd WW,Afganistan etc)however surely it's up to a parent as to how much you expose kids to and kids differ.

Maybe the phrasing should have been changed?

I'm very pro the right to protest though so can't quite get my head round whether I was right to be annoyed.

Maybe I wasn't,thoughts please.smile

LucieMay Sun 18-Nov-12 22:37:58

Ds is six and recently half watched (ie played while I watched a documentary on Ian Brady and the moors killings and I told him about it (just the basics, missed out a lot of the details). He said how terrible it was and we talked about it but he understood that doesn't often happen. They are old enough to have the situation explained to them, yabu and precious.

defuse Sun 18-Nov-12 22:36:16

oldmumsy , you mentioned earlier that "they" are not like "us" in the west....

You mentioned that you dont care a jot if palestinian babies die.

I am so pleased to say that "us" in the west are not like you!

Not in our name. Don't assume that "us" in the west will stand with you shoulder to shoulder because " they are not like us".

We are NOT on your side by default.

In fact, i am outraged by your government's complete disregard for palestinian babies, because we in the west recognise palestinians as humans too which you and your government does not!

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

difficultpickle Sun 18-Nov-12 21:58:20

I'm 47 and there is next to nothing I can do about the situation in the ME other than donate money. I have no issue at all about explaining what is going on (as best as I am able in such a complex issue) to my 8 yr old ds. Although he did ask questions I struggled to answer.

Anifrangapani Sun 18-Nov-12 21:55:11

Old mum - I think that many peoples understanding of the region is more nuanced than you give credit for. Killing people from either side is abhorent. Just because some person does willy waving does not mean that we have to say it is right. It is not race based critisism - it is a piss poor situation based on historical shite because people in Europe felt guilt after Ww2. It is not the Palistinians fault it is Europe & the US's . Having said that bombing the end out of each other is not the way forward.

Viviennemary Sun 18-Nov-12 21:53:04

I would not have liked my children to hear somebody shouting this. Children of 7 and nine can do nothing about the situation in the middle east so I don't think they should need their awareness raised at that young age. That is my opinion. YANBU.

littleducks Sun 18-Nov-12 21:48:51

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

difficultpickle Sun 18-Nov-12 21:48:39

OldMumsy, just seen your later posts. I assume you mean have I been to Gaza? No, I haven't. Have you?

difficultpickle Sun 18-Nov-12 21:47:28

OldMumsy I live in the UK and am British and was very lucky to survive being rather too close to one of the 7/7 bombers at the time he chose to detonate his bomb so I also know what it is like to be bombed and have witnessed and experienced that horror first hand. If you live in Israel I assume your government is the one that runs the country.

As I've said before I think your government's timing is extremely hmm coming a week after the US elections and clearly seeking to involve Iran in a wider ME conflict.

Anifrangapani Sun 18-Nov-12 21:45:54

NopeMiss- unless you are are only buying the shoes made in this country you have a moral obligation to explain to you kids the whys and wherefores of of international geopolitics. My 2 - of 8 and 10 know exactly the implication of the cheap shoes, cheap oil, peace in Europe for the most part. They understand the implication of international outsourcing on the day to day level.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 18-Nov-12 21:43:40

So having never been to the region means a person can't have an opinion? Riiiight okay then OldMumsy.

Keep trying to justify your racist opinions in any way you can.

Meanwhile,right thinking individuals will continue to be horrified by the actions of both the Israeli government and Hamas.

OldMumsy Sun 18-Nov-12 21:42:41

Have you ever been to the region? Have you ever lived there? And spoken to the people there?

OldMumsy Sun 18-Nov-12 21:41:10

Have you ever been the region?

xkittyx Sun 18-Nov-12 21:40:10

Yep, that sounds about the right level for someone who defends the slaugher of babies.

OldMumsy Sun 18-Nov-12 21:39:50

The only people who have tried to kill me personally have been Palestinians, why would I have any truck with them?

OldMumsy Sun 18-Nov-12 21:38:43

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

OldMumsy Sun 18-Nov-12 21:38:21

xkittyx Sun 18-Nov-12 21:37:51

OldMumsy Sun 18-Nov-12 21:37:08

Those targets are Hamas leaders who have chosen to live amongst civilians, how brave.

OldMumsy Sun 18-Nov-12 21:36:10

Whats your government bisjo, who are you?

difficultpickle Sun 18-Nov-12 21:32:01

OldMumsy we get coverage of both sides of the story and form opinions accordingly. I'm not sure your government's position is helped at all by their actions of today in bombing foreign journalists in two separate places let alone the indiscriminate bombing of children. The fact that your government are at pains to point out that all the 120 rocket attacks today have been accurately targeted is shocking, since those targets are children.

OldMumsy Sun 18-Nov-12 21:27:15

I have actually lived in Israel and been subject to rockets being rained down on us indiscriminately so this colours my opinions of Palestinians and what was the PLO in those days. I understand that Hamas have picked up the baton and run with it since. I find it basically incomprehensible that so many right on Mumsnetters are so happy to support the people who have spent the last few years shelling civilians as long as they are Jewish.

PolkadotCircus Sun 18-Nov-12 12:15:19

Bisjo that is exactly what I do.

difficultpickle Sun 18-Nov-12 11:40:37

Don't you just give an age appropriate explanation which is enough to satisfy the questions asked? It is not difficult. I take my lead from ds on how much he wants to know, eg US elections is something he was very interested so we had lots of discussions about that.

TandB Sun 18-Nov-12 11:00:27

The thing is, the world isn't a neat place where there is a way of reconciling everyone's needs and beliefs. The need for protest against attrocities does not mesh neatly with your need to help your son understand the world. the two things are, in this particular instance, at odds.

It is for you as his parent to decide how you best deal with this, not for others to change how they deal with the terrible thing they are protesting against.

None of us can order the world according to what we want for our children - we can only do our best to guide them through the realities of it. There are people on this thread who have had to help their children through far worse, life-changing things. It's not fair, but it just has to be dealt with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now