To put raw spaghtetti into a home made tomato sauce?

(21 Posts)
seeker Sat 17-Nov-12 08:03:50

My Italian grandfather is spinning in his grave.........

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sat 17-Nov-12 07:54:36

unfortunately I have a pan with a silicon handle and not one of those I could bang in the oven.

I had to fry the onions first so couldn't boil the pasta in the pan first.

Casmama Sat 17-Nov-12 00:13:09

I often do this but then I tend to chuck in two tins of chopped toms so there is generally some excess liquid which is absorbed by the pasta.

Bogeyface Sat 17-Nov-12 00:11:59

cook the spaghetti then add the cold sauce to the pan (after draining the spag hmm ) and it heats through. Job done.

SlightlySoupStainedBabygrows Sat 17-Nov-12 00:07:56

Used to do this in my overly short lunch break, when I only had one ring on the stove that would heat up quickly enough. Works better with quick cook pasta, otherwise it takes too long to cook through.

Pippinintherain Fri 16-Nov-12 23:44:19

Just add more liquid and chuck in the oven.

mrskeithrichards Fri 16-Nov-12 22:03:38

You are all geniuses!!

DrinkFeckArseGirls Fri 16-Nov-12 21:54:37

I put prawns in it at the end, so it cancels out the grim way of cooking it. yes, I thought it would be like cooking lasagne.

sound great to me! Thats tomorrow night sorted!!

DrinkFeckArseGirls Fri 16-Nov-12 21:53:00

One pot had the oil from chorizo as I couldn't be bothered to find a pan and the other has breakfast porridge stuck to the bottom. Maybe I should've used one with the chorizo, it would've made for a more interesting layer of flavours grin.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 16-Nov-12 21:52:38

I suppose you could adda bit more water to the sauce then let it cook out.

Sounds grim though. Just use another pan.

Fuchzia Fri 16-Nov-12 21:52:17

My mum used to layer raw spaghetti with Tom sauce grated cheese and few olives. Baked in the oven for fourth minutes it was yum. Like a v cheap lasangne

DrinkFeckArseGirls Fri 16-Nov-12 21:50:45

Ohbugger you're a party pooper. And also you're a little right. the sauce is a bit dry. As if the pasta soaked up all the liquid. Edible though. Nowt wrong with it.

Pippinintherain Fri 16-Nov-12 21:50:15

I whack it all in a big dish and put in the oven for 45 mins.

Saves on washing up.

I make bolognaise in the slow cooker, then chuck in raw pasta 45 minutes or so before we eat. That works a treat. In a pan though, I'd probably do as OhBuggerandArse suggests.

GoldenGreen Fri 16-Nov-12 21:46:35

That is a brilliant idea. I did similar today - heated up some tomato soup and had the genius idea of putting some gnocchi in towards the end. Was very nice!

OhBuggerandArse Fri 16-Nov-12 21:46:10

Bad bad idea. It will all stick together and produce sludge. It'd be a better use of slovenly impulses to just cook the spaghetti (separately) in a dirty pot. The boiling water will dissolve most of the muck...

Anonymumous Fri 16-Nov-12 21:45:45

Isn't that what you're supposed to do? confused Whoops...

CaliforniaLeaving Fri 16-Nov-12 21:44:35

You're a short cut genius grin My SIL used to do that when her boys were little, she hated washing up LOL

MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 16-Nov-12 21:44:25

Did it work?

DrinkFeckArseGirls Fri 16-Nov-12 21:43:12

I realised it would take for 5 minutes forever to clean one of the two small pots suitable for cooking enough pasta pour moi. So I put the tinned tomatoes in with all the bits and then put the raw spaghetti in. Is that unreasonable or am I a short-cut genius a la Nigella? You know, like chopping stuff with scissors. I invented it first envy but was ashamed to admit to anyone...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now