Broken families - wtf

(40 Posts)
daisygatsby Fri 16-Nov-12 21:21:29

Am at a wedding with dh family.

Dhs aunt came along and said - do you know aunt 'y' pointed out that all our children our with children from 'broken homes ' . I guess my dh and all his cousins happen to have hooked up with people whose parents are separated or divorced. And then the other aunt said 'well their with a good family that stick together now .''

Then Dhs mam said ' my friend thinks English people don't have as big weddings cos they think they're all going to do it again in a few years time.'

What the actual fuck.

ninah Fri 16-Nov-12 21:53:21

man the English don't divorce enough
wtf is a 'broken home'? maybe she should go on antiques roadshow

ninah Fri 16-Nov-12 21:56:28

superb example of a near broken home craquelture in place, foxing to the near side, impasto glaze just beginning to show a bit of wear and tear
conservatory leaking, nada tryptchs or twigs n shit
Offers?

ninah Fri 16-Nov-12 21:57:06

what is 'very' Catholic?
is it like very pregnant?

BridgetBidet Fri 16-Nov-12 22:00:41

I have been with my husband for 13 years married for just over 10 and our first child is only 8 months. It does get easier. Are they from Cork? That's where mine are from. Yeah you do have to take a bit of shit but it gets better.

And do give it back, not in a shouty way but in a jokey way.

It worked for me. I used to take loads of rubbish about it.

Actually come to think of it some from his brothers was more than I could deflect even with jokey sarcasm. But they do get used to it - and get used to you, after a while. I think this is the same with any in-laws, not just the Irish. But the whole nationality thing with the Irish does add another dimension.

Was it your children from a previous relationship they said were from a broken home? it's not clear. If it was your children from a previous relationship maybe she was trying to make a poorly made compliment, saying that you were all a family now etc, etc.

BridgetBidet Fri 16-Nov-12 22:02:30

Very Catholic is like really actually hating the gays and being totally against abortion when fairly Catholics can often reconcile not thinking those things with being Catholic.

daisygatsby Fri 16-Nov-12 22:20:45

bridget not cork, no.

I've been living in ireland well over ten years so am used to all the english jibes. I just thought this was particularly nasty and holier than thou and really got my goat .

RubyrooUK Fri 16-Nov-12 22:21:09

Ninah...

I meant very Catholic as in they go to church every day, not just once a week. And they think that it is wrong to use birth control and you should stay married even if you are unhappy because that is what god wants.

I know other people who call themselves Catholic but don't feel the same way.

It's the same way I guess that I call myself a rubbish Jew because I grew up in that culture but love bacon sandwiches and didn't want to get DS circumcised. So I wouldn't say I'm very Jewish. But still a Jew because that is my cultural background. smile

daisygatsby Fri 16-Nov-12 22:21:43

Oh and sorry no, not my child from a broken relationship, but me since my folks are divorced

ninah Fri 16-Nov-12 22:26:27

ok really confused now!
I work in a catholic school and to be honest Ive found people refreshingly unbiased
Does that mean they are 'quite catholic'?
or that they are lulling me into a sense of false security so they can tar and feather me for being a friend to many Dorothys and an unwed mother?
When did Joseph marry Mary, incidentally/. do we know?

ninah Fri 16-Nov-12 22:27:50

and I am not catholic but take the blessing every fortnight
does that make me 'a litte bit apostate?'

daisygatsby Fri 16-Nov-12 22:29:34

Ninah, being Irish catholic is different to being catholic, IMO. An extra dose of hypocrisy

RubyrooUK Fri 16-Nov-12 22:35:07

No idea what it makes your colleagues on the "Catholic scale" that I seem to have started, Ninah, apart from good workmates! smile

SoleSource Fri 16-Nov-12 22:49:40

Racist bitch!

WorraLiberty Fri 16-Nov-12 22:52:54

Oh well at least you have your goat

Make sure none of them get it

MyLittleFireBird Sat 17-Nov-12 01:34:24

Floggingmolly In answer to your question, there are plenty, plenty 'broken homes' where the parents are married. Conflict, sadness, secrets & lies, coldness, fear, unhappiness, fighting - those are some of the things that make a home broken. In many cases, divorce mends a child's broken home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now