Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Broken families - wtf

(40 Posts)
daisygatsby Fri 16-Nov-12 21:21:29

Am at a wedding with dh family.

Dhs aunt came along and said - do you know aunt 'y' pointed out that all our children our with children from 'broken homes ' . I guess my dh and all his cousins happen to have hooked up with people whose parents are separated or divorced. And then the other aunt said 'well their with a good family that stick together now .''

Then Dhs mam said ' my friend thinks English people don't have as big weddings cos they think they're all going to do it again in a few years time.'

What the actual fuck.

ninah Fri 16-Nov-12 21:53:21

man the English don't divorce enough
wtf is a 'broken home'? maybe she should go on antiques roadshow

ninah Fri 16-Nov-12 21:56:28

superb example of a near broken home craquelture in place, foxing to the near side, impasto glaze just beginning to show a bit of wear and tear
conservatory leaking, nada tryptchs or twigs n shit
Offers?

ninah Fri 16-Nov-12 21:57:06

what is 'very' Catholic?
is it like very pregnant?

BridgetBidet Fri 16-Nov-12 22:00:41

I have been with my husband for 13 years married for just over 10 and our first child is only 8 months. It does get easier. Are they from Cork? That's where mine are from. Yeah you do have to take a bit of shit but it gets better.

And do give it back, not in a shouty way but in a jokey way.

It worked for me. I used to take loads of rubbish about it.

Actually come to think of it some from his brothers was more than I could deflect even with jokey sarcasm. But they do get used to it - and get used to you, after a while. I think this is the same with any in-laws, not just the Irish. But the whole nationality thing with the Irish does add another dimension.

Was it your children from a previous relationship they said were from a broken home? it's not clear. If it was your children from a previous relationship maybe she was trying to make a poorly made compliment, saying that you were all a family now etc, etc.

BridgetBidet Fri 16-Nov-12 22:02:30

Very Catholic is like really actually hating the gays and being totally against abortion when fairly Catholics can often reconcile not thinking those things with being Catholic.

daisygatsby Fri 16-Nov-12 22:20:45

bridget not cork, no.

I've been living in ireland well over ten years so am used to all the english jibes. I just thought this was particularly nasty and holier than thou and really got my goat .

RubyrooUK Fri 16-Nov-12 22:21:09

Ninah...

I meant very Catholic as in they go to church every day, not just once a week. And they think that it is wrong to use birth control and you should stay married even if you are unhappy because that is what god wants.

I know other people who call themselves Catholic but don't feel the same way.

It's the same way I guess that I call myself a rubbish Jew because I grew up in that culture but love bacon sandwiches and didn't want to get DS circumcised. So I wouldn't say I'm very Jewish. But still a Jew because that is my cultural background. smile

daisygatsby Fri 16-Nov-12 22:21:43

Oh and sorry no, not my child from a broken relationship, but me since my folks are divorced

ninah Fri 16-Nov-12 22:26:27

ok really confused now!
I work in a catholic school and to be honest Ive found people refreshingly unbiased
Does that mean they are 'quite catholic'?
or that they are lulling me into a sense of false security so they can tar and feather me for being a friend to many Dorothys and an unwed mother?
When did Joseph marry Mary, incidentally/. do we know?

ninah Fri 16-Nov-12 22:27:50

and I am not catholic but take the blessing every fortnight
does that make me 'a litte bit apostate?'

daisygatsby Fri 16-Nov-12 22:29:34

Ninah, being Irish catholic is different to being catholic, IMO. An extra dose of hypocrisy

RubyrooUK Fri 16-Nov-12 22:35:07

No idea what it makes your colleagues on the "Catholic scale" that I seem to have started, Ninah, apart from good workmates! smile

SoleSource Fri 16-Nov-12 22:49:40

Racist bitch!

WorraLiberty Fri 16-Nov-12 22:52:54

Oh well at least you have your goat

Make sure none of them get it

MyLittleFireBird Sat 17-Nov-12 01:34:24

Floggingmolly In answer to your question, there are plenty, plenty 'broken homes' where the parents are married. Conflict, sadness, secrets & lies, coldness, fear, unhappiness, fighting - those are some of the things that make a home broken. In many cases, divorce mends a child's broken home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now