....to bloody love Julie Burchill

(37 Posts)

Yeah Joanna

Two important things to note in this article, I think - no, make that three -

1. I just have a real problem with people who seek to portray fatness or thinness as moral concepts.

2. Frankly, the ill-tempered tone of Joanna’s diatribe suggests a woman who — in order to court public admiration well into her 60s - has starved herself to the point of rage. grin

3. eat well, exercise often, die anyway - double grin

And that's why I love Julie Burchill!

PropertyNightmare Fri 16-Nov-12 11:02:16

I believe in tea and cake and on that basis I would choose Julie over JoLo any day of the week.

lljkk Fri 16-Nov-12 10:54:40

I don't twitter so don't know. I'm not sure if she said anything, but in the lengthy interview with McAlpine's lawyer yesterday I thought he mentioned Burchill pointedly. And lord knows how acidic she can be, and not quick to apologise either.

Dawndonna Fri 16-Nov-12 10:07:18

It doesn't sinister. The point was she was insistent on having been to the university of life and it had made her far more clever and far more aware than the rest of the university educated population. She spouted this crap for years in The Observer. She left The Observer so that she could go to university.

FreudiansSlipper Fri 16-Nov-12 09:01:30

did Julie mention her love of coke or the Groucho Club yawn yawn

and some people do eat whatever they like and that might be lots of food that would make others put on weight my nanny always ate cream cakes, chips at least 4 times a week and she had a big appetite for her size and stayed thin until she died. my aunt is the same too and I know other people like this they are just very lucky

SinisterBuggyMonth Fri 16-Nov-12 08:50:51

why should not having a degree stop you from living in a Uni town?

What did she say about McAlpine lljkk?

lljkk Fri 16-Nov-12 08:03:02

Has JB apologised for her comments (?tweets) about McAlpine, yet? I think McAlpine's lawyer pointedly mentioned her conspicuously absent apology, yesterday. Praised Monbiot for unreserved apology.

TheHairyDieter Fri 16-Nov-12 07:36:56

I have loved Julie Burchill since she wrote for The Face, 30 years ago. I remember her saying that she wished Annie Lennox & Dave Stewart would die in a plane crash grin

Dawndonna Fri 16-Nov-12 07:28:26

Julie Birchill will be on a diet in a month or so.
She didn't need university, because she was so clever and she did university of life stuff. So, off she goes to Brighton.
Didn't need religion etc. So off she goes to study theology.
Didn't need a nice middle class abode etc.
Lives in bloody Brighton.
Sod off Julie, on occasion you may have a valid point, but actually, the piece looks as though it were written (as usual) by a sixteen year old with a grudge.

Bewitched - I think that's got a lot to do with why I like her! Anyway - the thing is - I can quite see that in many ways I am BU and I do agree that JB is a piece of work with a certain style that might be seen as highly annoying by some. I just like her!

Inertia Fri 16-Nov-12 06:46:44

Yabu. Although the sentiment of this article is fairly reasonable , Julie Burchill's work is usually tremendously annoying. The way she calls women 'broads' irritates me beyond belief, and much of what she writes is all about her.

reindeerjumper Fri 16-Nov-12 01:53:12

Yabu. I really dislike her.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Fri 16-Nov-12 01:30:51

I like Julie Burchill.
She's a typical fucked up, contrary Brightonian.

As am I.

grin

SinisterBuggyMonth Fri 16-Nov-12 01:22:20

I always loved her (twirls crimped hair and doodles a pony)

LessMissAbs Thu 15-Nov-12 23:03:36

I'm sure Joanna Lumley doesn't live solely on lettuce and does indeed eat the evening meal she mentions *irishchic". Otherwise she would die, wouldn't she?

I thought Burchill's article predictable and sensationalist. And hypocritical - she fails to mention that Lumley simply has more talent than she. She also misses the point, and it is a fair one - people in the west, women or not, tend to eat too much for their energy needs. Its Burchill who is attempting to turn it into, in her own words, "a bitch fest".

I always find Burchill's articles depressing, and a bit seedy somehow, and no longer read her much.

MorrisZapp Thu 15-Nov-12 22:55:35

Julie Burchill is just unbearable. On the odd occasion she says something sensible, it's meaningless because of the torrents of contrarian bollocks you have to read to get there.

irishchic Thu 15-Nov-12 22:48:47

I think the thing that most disappoints me is discovering that Lumley lives on lettuce. I do not think that it is necessary to lively solely on lettuce in order to be slim into old age. I happen to think that keeping active and eating well should so that. Also, i had thought she would be the type to think to hell with diets I'll eat what I like sort of thing, but no. she starves herself, how depressing and conformist of her, she is not the free spirit i thought she was.

GothAnneGeddes Thu 15-Nov-12 22:03:12

Julie Burchill misses as much as she hits, but this is a hit.

However, if the O.P had put anything about weight in the title this thread would be full of miserable buggers saying that anyone over size eight is a hideous glutton. Some would even write it in bold or italics so you definitely know it's true hmm

Hate Julie Birchill, started refusing to read her years ago. Does she still go on about how she knew the Sex Pistols? (Yeah, you're so cool Julie, we all wish we were you hmm.) And I remember an article she wrote about how men dominated everything - pointing out that they even dominate homelessness. confused Maybe it was some kind of clever irony, but I couldn't see it.

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 15-Nov-12 20:03:27

Also...is Julie Burchill seriously calling Joanna Lumley rent a gob?

Oh the delicious irony.

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 15-Nov-12 19:52:56

Tiggy LOL! I so agree!

Ouch Tiggy - that's a bit harsh! Are you telling me you don't draw endless ponies and write crappy poetry in your diary? grin

TiggyD Thu 15-Nov-12 19:41:51

She's a moody 14 year old semi-goth who never grew up. I bet she still writes crappy poetry in her diary, draws endless ponies, and crimps her hair.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Thu 15-Nov-12 18:21:31

I don't love her. She makes some good points although she does then contradict herself a bit.

But then she's always done that.

I don't know what happened to her but whatever it was that removed her from our TV screens is good with me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now