to think everyone thinks everyone else is going to loads of parties

(66 Posts)
sarahseashell Wed 14-Nov-12 17:47:57

what is this 'party season' of which they keep on about in magazines etc. Is everyone really deluged with party invitations confused I'm quite old and never find myself having to buy loads of frocks and wonder which christmas party to attend etc
<unpopular emoticon>

EmmaNemms Wed 14-Nov-12 18:45:35

Plus a traditional extended family gathering just before Christmas, which we have been doing 20+ years, which I love. Not glam at all though.

WaitingForMe Wed 14-Nov-12 18:46:18

I get lots of invites. I have a social family and because I'm self-employed I do a lot of networking so there are lots of meals etc through that. Sadly I won't be doing much this year as PFB is due tomorrow.

I love it but a hell of a lot of it is technically working. Lots of business cards getting passed. I'm also proactive and if I hear about a useful sounding event I'll contact the organiser.

So the velvet dress at the bottom of a staircase? That'll be the restaurant that has a monthly networking lunch and which puts on a fancy Christmas do. The guests have bought their tickets, dragged their spouses along and are doing the usual chit chat just later and in a slightly different format. As a regular, I'll get sent a snazzy invite but really they are just after my money!

Then there's gallery and museum evenings where you dress up and view the collection by fairy light with a glass of wine. Those can be fun. Again, if you've attended one you get sent invites. Arrange to go with some friends and it's fab.

Nope my work had a Christmas do but it's fancy dress so I don't get the chance to wear a fancy frock. DH's work are having a lunch rather than evening meal this year so I don't even get that either.

stinkinseamonkey Wed 14-Nov-12 18:48:22

In fact even when I was at uni and there were usually more parties than you could go to, it dried up a bit at christmas when people left in dribs and drabs before the end of term to go home to their families to sit in pubs with their school friends

stinkinseamonkey Wed 14-Nov-12 18:49:42

"and I've never known anyone to "snog the boss", or anyone "from accounts" at their work do either! ooh I have. I know quite a few people who changed jobs because of a mistake at the office Xmas party"

so they DO exist? grin, I thought those sort of office parties just happened in magazines and on telly!

MulledWineOnTheBusLady Wed 14-Nov-12 18:52:07

Hmm. Museum/evening/wine/fairy lights with friends sounds pretty good! Maybe I need to get proactive.

MulledWineOnTheBusLady Wed 14-Nov-12 18:52:43

Those parties happened where I used to work too, but that's cos it was accounts.

I once snogged someone at my then husband's work do (before we married though) blush

Lavenderhoney Wed 14-Nov-12 19:08:17

I used to to loads before marriage and dc. Nothing now sadly. I am a sahm now. I have a wardrobe full of ball gowns and cocktail dresses, shoes and sparkly handbags that may never go out again. I dont open it much, they all seem so accusingsmile Plus I cant fit the dresses now.

I know quite a few people who have been very very indiscreet at christmas partiessmile perhaps a thread could be started?smile

I had friends in all industries though, and army, and sports, the arts, so it was very full on. It depends who you know, plus I used to arrange some myselfsmile

Wouldn't recognise myself now...

Teahouse Wed 14-Nov-12 19:14:49

Haven't been to a Christmas or New Year's party for probably 20 years...actually, what is a party?

LettyAshton Wed 14-Nov-12 19:24:45

I haven't been to one either for 15 years.

I don't think I'd enjoy an office party any more, though. If I got pissed/flirted/danced it would be downright embarrassing - no, make that certifiable .

Also, why is everyone so busy ? I'm not. I got an e-mail from a "friend" who said we must meet up but the first slot she had open was in late January...

crypes Wed 14-Nov-12 19:26:31

I wanna party like a celeb!

WilsonFrickett Wed 14-Nov-12 19:39:31

I wouldn't normally write about my Oh's office party for fear of outing myself, but as there will be approx 1000 people at this venue every night in December:

A huge conference hall on the outskirts of Town. Actually at the airport, in fact. Done in an Egyptian theme. Cos nothing - nothing says Christmas to me like 'entering through our mysterious pyramids and walking like an Egyptian.'

Shoot. Me. Now.

crazyhatlady Wed 14-Nov-12 19:43:56

Almost every member of my family have August birthdays, including myself and my son. Christmas parties have a LOT to answer for. I'll be staying home this year.

Meglet Wed 14-Nov-12 19:48:51

I used to go to one work meal a year. It really wasn't that exciting.

Party dress season is alien to me.

bedmonster Wed 14-Nov-12 20:08:08

Stinkin I didn't say they were mutually exclusive did I? It's a pretty obvious fact that generally you go out less when you have small children. I have just learnt to enjoy that and not feel bitter that I can't go out as much as I used to.
I have an evening out most weeks, but as I am a SAHM mum I no longer have a works Xmas party.

Coffeeformeplease Wed 14-Nov-12 20:15:10

The Christmas work do I really miss, they were absolutely mad, I loved them. Oh well. This year I'll have a night out with my Zumba class, I'm curious. Husband's work does children#s x-mas party, nothing for spouses.
I do my own x-mas party then pah

MrsCantSayAnything Wed 14-Nov-12 20:18:32

Sarah it's the magazine's job to sell a lifestyle. That's all it is.

MoomieAndFreddie Wed 14-Nov-12 20:57:26

ha i know, i always think this when i read shit magazines

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Wed 14-Nov-12 21:13:39

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that these parties are mythical. The sales & marketing Christmas party at work is fairly hair-raising but I'm not invited sad

Fairyliz Wed 14-Nov-12 21:39:24

Ha you need to work in the public sector; we use to have great parties. Lots of snogging and shagging went on at the Christmas do. Must have been the excitement of getting away from local government offices t a local hotel!

TwitchyTail Wed 14-Nov-12 21:44:42

I've never been to more than one Christmas party (at a push) in any given year, and certainly none that have required a sequinned "party dress" and matching bag.

So it's either a myth, or everyone hates me.

sweetheart Wed 14-Nov-12 21:48:31

Oh blimey I wish it was mythical! We are mad in December, every date gets booked up months in advance and as even started spreading into November. I end up dreading most of it.

wonderstuff Wed 14-Nov-12 21:59:04

My work do got cancelled because not enough people wanted to go - dh has one but we aren't going to go because with hiring a tux, getting a dress + cost of transport - all to spend an evening with people we don't really like all that much - we decided better to spend the money on a day out with the kids (steam engine to see santa). A mate is having one, its tarts and vicars themed - no posh dress needed.

Bunbaker Wed 14-Nov-12 22:16:24

"Oh blimey I wish it was mythical! We are mad in December, every date gets booked up months in advance and as even started spreading into November. I end up dreading most of it"

So how do you get to go to so many parties then? Our work do is in January at a holiday camp. I will probably go out for a meal with some mum friends in December, but we don't really "party" We don't give parties and none of our friends do either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now