To wonder why this has received little or no publicity in the mainstream media?

(16 Posts)
NicholasTeakozy Sat 10-Nov-12 14:29:43

Disability Living Allowance to be removed completely, with no safety net from disabled people with families where the household income exceeds £8,000. This government clearly has no morals.

nickelrocketgoBooooooom Sat 10-Nov-12 14:40:31

sad

I don't like the way "bathing" now means to clean above the waist with a flannel - so that means, you can't clean your own bottom, but because you can clean your torso, you're classed as clean? sad

WineGoggles Sat 10-Nov-12 14:45:22

Not sure if this is the same issue but 38 Degrees (excellent pressure group) have a campaign at the moment regarding the disabled and benefits here:

38Degrees

fuzzpig Sat 10-Nov-12 14:51:17

That's terrifying.

I am going to be applying for DLA soon, with the help of social services to whom I referred myself because I can't cope with my (invisible) disability. It is very unlikely I will be able to keep my job once I'm offcially diagnosed in a couple of weeks.

Every day I see more news that makes me think it's not even worth filling in the bloody form.

Mrsjay Sat 10-Nov-12 14:54:13

is it not savings exceeding 8k I

GrimAndHumourless Sat 10-Nov-12 14:55:11

bleak and terrifying prospect

Mrsjay Sat 10-Nov-12 14:55:52

OH sorry I didnt read it right that is actually shocking people need DLa to live life I get DLA have done for years I dont know if it will be stopped or not sad

TulisaLover Sat 10-Nov-12 14:58:01

As always, if you have managed to save you are forced to now spend it. Means tested but....

....The real scandal I think is that it only applies to cash/shares savings. You could have 8K in savings, be paying rent and you get nothing. However, if you have a million pound house with no mortgage and no savings, you'll get help.

Ladymuck Sat 10-Nov-12 15:02:01

I think that your issue hasn't hit the media, because it isn't true, is it? The new PIP payments aren't going to be means tested.

NicholasTeakozy Sat 10-Nov-12 15:12:06

No Tulisa, if your partner earns over £8k you lose DLA. This is going to make so many people destitute, and it's fucking appalling.

I think the final few lines of her blog post are so very telling.

TulisaLover Sat 10-Nov-12 15:22:07

Sorry Nicholas, I just assumed what MrsJay said was correct - last time I trust her I can assure you.

What I said does apply to other bennies though, and it's always grated on me as a tad unfair to those who saved in cash compared to those who had real estate.

TulisaLover Sat 10-Nov-12 15:23:35

And if what the OP did say is true - that is a shockingly low level to set the means test at. 8K isn't enough for one normal person to live on unless they are lucky enough like DP and I to be self sufficient.

Mrsjay Sat 10-Nov-12 15:29:31

Sorry Nicholas, I just assumed what MrsJay said was correct - last time I trust her I can assure you.

TBF i did say i was wrong in the next post grin but with any benefit is is over 8k in savings I really hate the thought of DLA being an income based benefit it isnt fair on anybody

No, this is not true. Personal Independence Payment will be available to disabled people whether they are in work or not.

Being in work or returning to work will not be a relevant change of circumstances unless someone’s needs have increased or decreased as a result of employment.

Personal Independence Payment will be a non-taxable benefit.

Personal Independence Payment will be non-means-tested, so earnings and other sources of income will not affect the amount of Personal Independence Payment.

this is what it says on the goverment website no metion of partners earnings at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WelshMaenad Sat 10-Nov-12 15:47:59

The reference to partners earnings is talking about ESA (incapacity Ben) not DLA, from what I can gather.

Mandy2003 Sat 10-Nov-12 16:05:57

This is a site mentioned in another thread. I hadn't seen it or its links before, good info on the changes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now