Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To not even bother trying to provide any healthy options?

(35 Posts)
Agent64 Thu 08-Nov-12 22:17:18

DDs birthday party tomorrow. It's quite a small affair, just a bunch of friends coming round after school for food and games, age 12-13. Pizza, garlic bread, spring rolls and a heap of crap maize based snacks have been requested and will be provided, along with shock fizzy drinks and lurid OTT cupcake tower.

Cupcake tower will be homemade. Everything else has been bought in and will either go from freezer to oven or will be opened and poured into a bowl.

My question is this - is there any point at all in providing grapes/carrot sticks/cherry toms/anything remotely healthy or should I just give it up as a lost cause and send them all home hyper?

You can always give them the guinea pigs if they don't get eaten

shock guinea pigs are pets, not food!

Agent64 Fri 09-Nov-12 20:23:24

It's over. The grapes went down a storm - as did everything else grin.

I'm giving myself a wine.

socharlotte Fri 09-Nov-12 13:36:31

I did a party tea for boys aged 12-14 a few years back-similar menu and a few salady things like you mention.Also had meringue and strawberries and cream for desert.
They were like a swarm of locusts and they ate everything.Absolutely every crumb including garnishes on the plates!!

BrainSurgeon Fri 09-Nov-12 13:28:36

I would put on the table whatever fruit you normally have in the house, if they get eaten fine, if not - no loss.

<naive mum of a 4 yo>

pigletmania Fri 09-Nov-12 12:55:33

It's a teenage party don't bother

Everlong Fri 09-Nov-12 12:54:14

Yes indeed. Meant to type hummus but forgot.

HazeltheMcWitch Fri 09-Nov-12 12:53:14

I agree re carrots, cucumber and toms, IME they do usually get eaten. Although I normally do hoummous as well, so not exactly low fat. If you're in doubt, I'd say so they above cheapy veg, but leave off on the grapes, as they're quite expensive! they way you've not wasted too much money if not eaten?

Everlong Fri 09-Nov-12 12:46:36

I've been to a lot of parties in my life.

I've seen the grape/carrot/peppers thing and thought wtf but they always get eaten.

So yes I would put them out.

You can always give them the guinea pigs if they don't get eaten.

Beamur Fri 09-Nov-12 12:43:47

I also put out school bars, boxes of raisins and satsumas with the sweets on offer for Halloween and they were hoovered up. At the party earlier that evening I had to make extra carrot sticks because they'd all been eaten and the kids were clamouring for more!
My teenage DSS has been known to buy himself grapes as a snack....
It's not that weird really.

Jins Fri 09-Nov-12 09:43:44

shock

Carrot sticks, grapes, cherry tomatoes?

12-13 years?

shock

Well I held a 4 yo birthday party at McDonald's grin

Tangerines are brilliant for playing catch and "cricket" with (veteran here).

Little hint.

Agent64 Fri 09-Nov-12 08:29:33

Yeah Scrambled but what did they do with the satsumas?

rogersmellyonthetelly Fri 09-Nov-12 07:23:13

I am the veteran of many kids parties, I always provide a healthy option along with the sugar laden crap. At the end of the party, all the food is always gone, with the exception of the plate of fruit, carrot sticks and tomatoes. In fact the only time I have ever seen anyone touch the stuff was when a small boy took two carrot sticks, stuck them up his nose and ran around the room shouting "I'm an alien"
Teenagers even less likely to eat them IMO

ScrambledSmegs Netherlands Fri 09-Nov-12 00:39:53

I would have agreed with everyone else on this thread re: pointlessness of healthy food a couple of weeks ago, however...

On Halloween we had two bowls - bagged sweets in one, satsumas in the others. Young teens cleaned us out of satsumas. Left the haribo. Weirdos. confused

justbogoffnow Fri 09-Nov-12 00:24:39

I'd bung a few cherry tomatoes and grapes out, what's the harm grin?

apostropheuse Fri 09-Nov-12 00:21:32

Please don't taint a perfectly good party by giving them healthy stuff!

There are plenty more days in the year to be sensible.

WorraLiberty England Fri 09-Nov-12 00:12:53

Seriously though, who cares.

It's one meal out of a lifetime of meals

If it contains nothing healthy, no-one's going to die.

ImperialFireworksInMyKnickers Fri 09-Nov-12 00:09:16

Going to buck the trend here, I did birthday tea for ddtwins (13) a few months ago and the cherry tomatoes and grapes mysteriously vanished, and not into/under the sofa either. Also the carrot and cucumber sticks with the dips. In fact it all disappeared into them somewhere. Despite the one who has acrimoniously divorced parents and therefore cons both of them out of huge amounts of pocket money bringing shedloads of Haribos and other OneStop crap.

WorraLiberty England Fri 09-Nov-12 00:07:13

YABVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVU

If they're only 12-13yrs, you should provide grapes that are cut in half.

In fact, if they have olives on their pizza that's a choking hazzard.

Oh and don't embarrass them by providing glasses for their smuggled in WKDs...that's like so embarrassing.

HELPMyPooIsStuck Fri 09-Nov-12 00:02:47

You need party rings, it's not a party without party rings, stick some chilli guacamole ( beans innit ?? ) down next to the crisps for a bit of healtherising.

thebody Fri 09-Nov-12 00:00:26

Love mumsnet!!!

KatAndKit Thu 08-Nov-12 23:16:13

If it was summer I would say strawberries. so long as you had a massive chocolate fountain to entirely negate any health benefits from the fruit.

thebody Thu 08-Nov-12 23:14:00

Sweetpea, don't bother re food, just check rucksacks for parents stolen booze.

My ds got totally pissed at 13 at a house party with lovely parents who were downstairs with the healthy snacks.

RightUpMyRue Thu 08-Nov-12 23:09:36

Grapes and cherry tomatoes will probably get used as missiles by 12-13 year old boys.

I'd stick with crisps. At least they're dry and can be hoovered up easily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now