Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to want to take a sharp knife into Sainsbury's and...

(64 Posts)
MardyBra Thu 08-Nov-12 19:26:58

... trim down the extremely long stalks on their broccoli before buying it. They're bloody heavy those stalks. Probably double the cost of the broccoli.

MardyBra Thu 08-Nov-12 19:27:51

And while I'm at it, I'll take the vines off those vine grown tomatoes rather than pay for them.

VirginiaDare Thu 08-Nov-12 19:27:56

You know you can eat the stalks, they are part of the broccoli?

Could you also please pierce the additional packaging surrounding their cucumbers? Cucumber is wrapped in clingfilm. Clingfilmed cucumber is then place in enormous plastic sealed bag. Why? WHY?

MardyBra Thu 08-Nov-12 19:28:56

I like the stalks raw, but there's only so much stalk one can snack on.

AnnoyingOrange Thu 08-Nov-12 19:30:04

I was in Tesco he other week and the guy next to me twisted the broccoli in his hands, snapped the stalk off and tossed it back into the tray

I was shock

BonkeyMollocks Thu 08-Nov-12 19:31:26

My Gpigs would be rather miffed if they didn't get their stalk!

MardyBra Thu 08-Nov-12 19:31:28

I'm sure the stalks are getting longer and longer. There is probably a directive to the supermarket suppliers to cut the stalks good and long otherwise they'll screw them up the arse even more.

MardyBra Thu 08-Nov-12 19:31:58

Are those guinea pigs or grandpigs?

YANBU

It won't be long before the veg comes complete with a plot of soil and a farmer.

MardyBra Thu 08-Nov-12 19:32:28

So tempting Annoying

MardyBra Thu 08-Nov-12 19:33:08

I would pre-peel bananas in the aisle, but they might go a bit brown and squishy in the trolley.

MaryZezItsOnlyJustNovember Thu 08-Nov-12 19:37:01

Our supermarket supplies a little hacksaw so you can chop off the stalk.

Their broccoli is double the price, mind you grin.

But our cucumbers are naked.

A hacksaw shock

I wonder how many health & safety risk assessments they had to complete before that was allowed.

MaryZezItsOnlyJustNovember Thu 08-Nov-12 19:40:13

I know.

Every time I see it I'm amazed. It's attached with string to the plastic box of veg.

MardyBra Thu 08-Nov-12 19:41:48

shock at the hacksaw. It would only take one nutter to saw through the string...

sparkle12mar08 Thu 08-Nov-12 19:42:03

I always snap broccoli stalks - Jamie O suggested it in one of his programmes during the time he worked for Sainsburys. If it's good enough for Jamie...

MardyBra Thu 08-Nov-12 19:42:33

LIke the user name Maryz.

Probably put some poor brocolli-stalk-chopping sod out of work.

Where will it end? Sewing machines in the aisles to run up your own clothes, ovens to bake your own pies.....

<frets>

MaryZezItsOnlyJustNovember Thu 08-Nov-12 19:43:40

I'm running a one-woman campaign Mardy and failing badly

I was polite, though, and used "just" instead of the alternatives.

mumtoaandj Thu 08-Nov-12 19:45:37

Can you eat the thick stalk- i never knew that? i take the grapes off the thick heavy branches, i am not paying for the branch bits!

StElmo Thu 08-Nov-12 19:47:26

I didn't know you can eat the stalk! I just break them off.

CaliforniaLeaving Thu 08-Nov-12 19:48:31

I chop the stalks up and cook them with the broccoli, tastes good to me.

MardyBra Thu 08-Nov-12 19:48:57

I'll join you Maryzz - can you think of something not too long to type (I like to log out to avoid teenage stalking!)

MaryZezItsOnlyJustNovember Thu 08-Nov-12 19:50:28

I log in using my email address when I have a long name. Else I get confused.

I dunno - MardyBramindsYouItsNotDecemberYet is a bit long grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now