Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To like Kirstie Allsopp?

(186 Posts)
plaingirly Sun 14-Oct-12 13:18:43

Pretty much all of my friends and colleagues seem to hate her! Something about setting women back 60 years.

I like her - and all the craft stuff. I don't see that she is setting women back or being anti-feminist. Surely feminism is about choice so she is choosing to live the way she does - and has the freedom to do that.

In interviews she always seems pretty straightforward and doesn't hide who she is. She is a bit posh but that is who she is - no point hiding the accent! Maybe I am biased because I love all the crafty homemaking type stuff. (And her clothes.)

"For some women, the wedding-veil canopies, crocheted jellyfish mobiles and calli-graphy place cards in Kirstie’s Vintage Home (more recession-friendly than her previous books and television series, it has tips on how to transform old fabrics and furniture into modern-day treasures) are not only off-message but demeaning. Sally Bercow called one of her shows 'condescending, too-good-to-be-true, middle-class nonsense’.

Allsopp is unflustered by such criticism. 'When people call me a 1950s housewife trying to take us back – that’s so wrong,’ she says. 'I consider myself a feminist. I have the most balanced and equal relationship with my husband. Likewise at work with Phil [Spencer, her 'TV husband’ of the past 13 years]. He’s paid the same as me and I expect to get paid the same as any of the men on Channel 4.’"

www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9599318/Kirstie-Allsopp-televisions-crafty-lady.html

comelywench Tue 16-Oct-12 21:53:06

grin

showtunesgirl Tue 16-Oct-12 20:32:47

her

showtunesgirl Tue 16-Oct-12 20:29:12

No, I dislike because she's a narrow-minded Tory. grin

comelywench Tue 16-Oct-12 20:01:45

That's fine showtunesgirl you dislike her because she's narrow-minded, not because she's a Tory.

squoosh, is there something wrong with being married to a banker?

I think Kirsty is great and the cottage looked really good after she had finished - much better than Sarah Beeny's renovation which just looks tacky because she tried to do it on too tight a budget.

kensingtonkat Tue 16-Oct-12 18:02:07

My main beef with Kirsty Allsopp is that she's got a very big mouth and a pea sized brain.

I really struggle to understand how someone so very expensively educated an be so very, very thick. She has no GCSEs and yet is so deluded she thinks she's appropriate casting for Question Time, or public policy roles such as housing tsar.

Her homefinding business had to go into liquidation, her home design "business" licence has been a spectacular markdown, and I can't recall a single episode of LLL where her negotation skills have added anything to the process. (Her clients have paid ceiling price on every purchase made on the show, according to a survey on House Price Crash).

She was a vile on Celebrity Apprentice, having hissy fits like a spoilt child when she didn't get her way.

She was boasting about buying British the other day on Twitter. Turns out she was boasting about her collection of Hunter wellies. Which are American-Chinese and have been for years.

She's a pox and the sooner she's off baking cakes for Ben instead of pontificating about things she patently knows zero about, the better.

showtunesgirl Tue 16-Oct-12 17:52:05

comely the biggest problem I have with Kirstie Allsopp though is the fact that she does not seem to understand why someone would have different political leanings to herself. That's the big difference here. My friends are Tories but they can see another person's point of view. When KA has been on things like QT, she has shown time and time again that she doesn't understand anyone who is not in the same boat as her.

plaingirly Tue 16-Oct-12 17:42:10

I have never really watched the property programmes but love the craft shows. Sky plus them and then watch them repeatedly.

comelywench Tue 16-Oct-12 11:28:13

showtunesgirl You like your friends in spite of their political beliefs because there's more to a person than their political beliefs.
It's just lazy to say I dislike her (the person) because she thinks x,y or z. Conversely, I have no problem if you dislike her because she keeps banging on about x, y and z.

MamaMary Mon 15-Oct-12 21:06:38

I don't mind her, but she's little more than a salesperson on LLL. I dislike the way she tries to sell the property to the couple no matter what it's like - it could be a rubbish house and she's claiming it's perfect. I lost respect for her when she started telling a couple the 'obvious solution' for a house would be to extend it at the back when it was clear to me (having had a similar house) that an extension wouldn't work at all. I realised it was all total b**l**t! And the builders the couple hired proved me right!

squoosh Mon 15-Oct-12 21:01:20

If you say so.

MadBusLadyHauntsTheMetro Mon 15-Oct-12 21:00:24

Let's hope so. That would make all of the people here considerably more sophisticated than all of the people who usually seem to be commenting on political threads.

squoosh Mon 15-Oct-12 20:57:38

Yes, but I don't think anyone here has said that? I'd imagine people who don't like her for being a Tory have a fair idea of what that constitutes.

MadBusLadyHauntsTheMetro Mon 15-Oct-12 20:55:01

If you're going to dislike someone for their political beliefs, be damn sure you understand what they actually believe. A lot of people, asked why they don't like Tories, will basically say something only marginally more sophisticated than "Because they believe in putting babies on spikes". And it just makes them look stupid TBH.

Never voted Tory in my life. Just sayin.

LittlePicnic Mon 15-Oct-12 20:53:48

I love her and Nigella. I may not agree with either's political beliefs but I still like them. Nothing better than when channel 4 shows episode after episode at the weekends, especially when it's cold outside. smile

squoosh Mon 15-Oct-12 20:48:30

I would have thought disliking someone for their political beliefs is one of the most understandable reasons to dislike a person.

showtunesgirl Mon 15-Oct-12 20:46:02

And comely, why isn't it ok to dislike someone for their political beliefs? To me much of what Tories believe are morally reprehensible.

Actually, I have some very close friends who are Tories and I like them in spite of their political beliefs. grin

showtunesgirl Mon 15-Oct-12 20:44:16

I can't stand her. She's a Tory idiot of the highest order.

She thinks that everyone should stay at home with their parents until they can afford to move out and buy their own place. Er, Kirsty, with the economy being what it is at the moment, I would STILL be living at home instead of renting my nice flat in London.

comelywench Mon 15-Oct-12 19:03:34

I like her. I was devastated to read on a different thread that she was unpleasant. It's nice to hear some others say she's nice. Maybe she's just 'normal' and has good days and bad days.

I really don't think she should be implicated in people over-stretching themselves financially. That was always going to happen.
I enjoyed her crafty programmes too, nice to see different techniques being done, even if it is really being one by a minion.

Really don't see why it's acceptable to dislike someone based on their politics. Especially when it comes across as reverse snobbery.

MadBusLadyHauntsTheMetro Mon 15-Oct-12 18:57:44

Do you think she's responsible for this strange idea doing the rounds in the lifestyle sections of the papers that it's cheaper to buy a good second hand sofa and reupholster it than buy a new one?

I mean it is. If you usually spend >£2k on a new one.

For the price she had some poor dweebs reupholster some antique chairs I could have bought two of the Ikea sofas I'm sitting on.

GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Mon 15-Oct-12 18:47:50

I love Nigella - and look how grand she is.

300 grand for a cottage on Exmoor is beyond most local people's wildest aspirations.

I have no idea how people knit - my gran used to knit really complex jumpers with patterns and shapes on out of her head. God knows how. I haven't seen a wool shop for ages (I remember really enjoying going to wool shops when I was a kid and looking at the different balls of wool and poking them).

marshmallowpies Mon 15-Oct-12 18:16:45

plaingirly well, pear shape, then, but she accentuates the waist by often wearing belted dresses or coats. I tried to mimic this look for a while at work but failed miserably.

plaingirly Mon 15-Oct-12 18:10:49

Big fan of twee.

I was flicking through her latest book today - nice pictures, nice paper, but I don't think they are many projects that I would actually do.

Might be more tempted when the television show starts!

Would you say she has an hourglass figure? (Thinking back to the comment about trousers not suiting her body shape.)

Faxthatpam Mon 15-Oct-12 16:43:23

She's alright on Location, very silly on the crafty nonsense show (yes, let's all go glass blowing!? hmm).

I pay no heed to her silly political views - about as relevant as Jordan's.

I prefer Phil, and the Beeny.

marshmallowpies Mon 15-Oct-12 16:33:10

I'm torn between....

Like:
Her common sense & breezy persona.
Her dress sense (clearly that divides opinion, but I love the boots, scarf & hourglass-flattering dress combo. I'd dress like her if I had the confidence --and the money--). And I like the fact she's an attractive non-stick-insect woman on TV (as far as i can tell) who wears what she likes and not what she's been told to wear (same goes for Sarah Beeney).
- Her upfront & feisty response to people who give her flak on Twitter for having a skin condition is admirable (she developed blotchy patches on her face during pregnancy & gets a lot of nasty comments about it).
- the chemistry between her & Phil really is genuine and you so rarely get that on TV.

Dislike:
- whatever her feminist credentials in the workplace, the comments I read in an interview that she does think women should defer to men in the home made me a bit hmm.
- the craft stuff a bit too twee for me.
- she's a Tory.

On balance - I like her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now