AIBU to think the government should cap the number of children called a particular name each year?

(128 Posts)
sausagesandwich34 Sat 13-Oct-12 22:52:27

ok I know I am and this is supposed to be a bit of a light hearted thread but....

I am a brownie leader

25% of my pack are called Chloe!
3 of them have a surname starting with the same letter

out of the rest of them Molly,Holly & Emily I have multiples

I've taken to calling the entire pack by their full names so no one feels left out hmm but that's 48 names to rememeber!!!

how do teachers do it?

JollyJackOLantern Mon 15-Oct-12 18:01:15

The Scottish stats office publish every national forename and top 10s for each council area. Helpful smile

QueenStromba Mon 15-Oct-12 17:53:17

Whoah - my name has really gone out of favour. It's a completely normal name that doesn't sound old fashioned at all but there were less than 30 babies born in 2010 with any spelling variant. It's a lot more popular in the states so people think it's more common than it actually is.

My boys have the top 2 boys names.
My daughters name rarely makes it I to the top 100.
I don't know any other Oliver's and there are none in his nursery either.
It could be an area thing.
Ds1 was named after his grandad.
Ds2 was named while we were waiting to go down to my section as we decided we didn't want baby hotcoffeeisamemory on his wristband!

MsVestibule Mon 15-Oct-12 13:47:11

I like the idea of a local Top 100. We consulted the national Top 100, instantly dismissed anything in the Top 20 and thought we were fairly safe.

But it seems that ever since we named DS, every other bugger in my area has called their son the same name and I can pretty much guarantee that he will always have another boy in his class with the same name. Might as well have just called him Archie/James/Joshua angry.

FrankelSaysRelax Mon 15-Oct-12 13:33:59

With some animal breed societies (dogs, horses, etc) each year has an allocated letter, so every animal born in that year must have a name starting with that letter. It helps to be able to identify which year an animal was born.

<realises teachers might not like this idea> wink

Himalaya Mon 15-Oct-12 13:19:46

Hope you've all had a go on this baby name voyager uk version

Tallalime Mon 15-Oct-12 11:44:06

My DD is the only one of her in her class, in fact there are no repeats in her class, though there are a Kaydee, a Kaycee and a Kaylee I almost cried with disappointment when we turned up on the first day and they weren't triplets after all

I know a LOT of Bens though and Evies and Chloes and approximately eleventy billion Maddis...with no E.

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 15-Oct-12 10:09:03

Woo hoo! I'm posh! No wonder it's not popular round here grin

Mrsjay Mon 15-Oct-12 10:06:23

I think Archie is a sterotypical middle class boys name I am not sure if that is right though ,

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 15-Oct-12 09:59:44

I have an Archie. I had no idea it was such a faux pas until it set the eyes of MN rolling uncontrollably! (although tbh I still don't actually know why as I was too scared to ask)

Only 1 person I know knows anyone with an Archie. Think it's definitely a postcode lottery. Round here they're all Oliver or Rhys.

My 2 (teenage) DDs both have names from my country of origin, and local to the area I come from, so never meet anyone called the same or even anything close.
DS however is Max. He is the only one in his year.
In his class there are 2 Mia, 2 Maya, 2 Daisy hmm

LucieMay Mon 15-Oct-12 00:32:40

I was quite happy with my choice of name for DS- it's easy to pronounce, easy to spell (unlike our long complicated Greek surname) and a traditional proper name. However, he's the only one with it in the school and I rarely come across it so it means he is always easily distinguished (which is a good job in the award assemblies as the deputy head can't pronounce our surname and always calls him out by just his surname).

BlueSkySinking Sun 14-Oct-12 23:25:01

I know 5 Isla's, 3 Jack's, 1 Amelia, 4 Max's, 1 Josh,

hooper02 Sun 14-Oct-12 23:15:28

Makes me think of my A level maths group, about 15 of us in class with 3 Sarahs, 2 Joannes, 1 Joanna and 2 Catherines, oh and the identical twin of one the Sarahs was in the class too. Bit confusing for the teachers

3 girls called Leanne, lee-Ann , Leeann in my class at school. All with surname jones. It was a nightmare.

Dd had 3 Ellie Browns in her year.

Both dc's have top twenty names but are the only ones in their school years. Our surname is Oliver which does cause problems for ds as several teachers have struggled to plumb it in to their brains that its his surname not his given name.

EldritchCleavage Sun 14-Oct-12 20:17:39

Everywhere I go these days I trip over an Oscar.

RedGreenWhiteViolet Sun 14-Oct-12 20:11:44

I sometimes feel guilty for calling dd1 Olivia. There is only one other in her class and luckily they have different nicknames. We gave dd2 an foreign name so we've only ever met one in England apart from dd. People often ask if they are really related. blush

sausagesandwich34 Sun 14-Oct-12 19:53:47

complexnumber
thank you, nice to know we are appreciated blush

mycatoscar Sun 14-Oct-12 19:48:43

My husband works with 3 lees. They are known as digger lee, fat lee and black lee! Apparently they don't mind, I think I might though!

I was one of 7 Rebecca's in my year at school, luckily there are several nickname versions of that, although now I might be fat Rebecca lol! Or stroppy Rebecca grin

peppapigpants Sun 14-Oct-12 19:26:43

eandh and barbarianmum I know someone with two children called....

Max and Ellie!!

BarbarianMum Sun 14-Oct-12 19:20:59

I am very glad my sister got to 'Max' before I did, or ds2 would be the 4th one in his class.

eandh Sun 14-Oct-12 18:51:49

Dd1 is Ellie I would do anything to rename her now, 2 Ellie's in her clas, 2 Ellie's and Ella at brownies and 3 Ellie's at the stables where she rides (wanted to call her pippa but bottled it and used as a middle name :0(

Dd2 is Hattie funny enough in her primary school of 600+ children she is the only Hattie! There are 3 cases of 30 in each year and they put 3 Finns together in her class would you not think they would split them up?? Although her class does seem to have the collection of children with unique or unusual names so her name seems fairly normal!!

My dds name is in top 5. I hate it and wish I had never chosen it.

I liked another lovely name but now exh vetoed it sad even dd wants to change her name!

JollyJackOLantern Sun 14-Oct-12 18:36:41

Ds's name was well outside the top 100 in 2010. In 2011 when he was born it shot up to 60 something. Not much you can do about that.

SeveredEdMcDunnough Sun 14-Oct-12 18:34:42

Well, I was trying to think of a nice name for ds3 and all the ones I liked, I already knew someone like a close friend who had used that name. It felt a bit uncomfortable, like I was copying them.

So I had to rule out quite a few that way. finally came up with something very unusual but still 'normal'-ish - I mean it's a recognisable name, it's not hard to spell or pronounce. And mostly, I really like it.

I just couldn't use something my old friend had already used, or my cousin, or my friend at school. I felt like I was treading on their toes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now