AIBU to think the government should cap the number of children called a particular name each year?

(128 Posts)
sausagesandwich34 Sat 13-Oct-12 22:52:27

ok I know I am and this is supposed to be a bit of a light hearted thread but....

I am a brownie leader

25% of my pack are called Chloe!
3 of them have a surname starting with the same letter

out of the rest of them Molly,Holly & Emily I have multiples

I've taken to calling the entire pack by their full names so no one feels left out hmm but that's 48 names to rememeber!!!

how do teachers do it?

Salmotrutta Sun 14-Oct-12 10:52:14

Hardly anyone has my name.

I doubt it'll make a resurgence hmm

GhostofMammaTJ Sun 14-Oct-12 10:53:34

I had never heard of DD2s name when we had her. It was DPs idea and I liked it. Got home from hospital two weeks after she was born to find that someone else in our street of 25 homes had got a dog and called that the same!!

Then a few months later someone moved in over the road and they had an older DD with the same name.

Then my neighbours across the road had her brother to stay with his DD with the same name!

It is not common though and I can't imagine she will have anyone in the same class with the same name. I think the brother named his DD after hearing mine being shouted at called.

MinnieBar Sun 14-Oct-12 10:55:33

Well between DS's and DD1's classes, only 5/20 are represented around here - and only one of each.

Extending it to friends, I know 10/20.

This leads me to conclude that there must be regional pockets of popularity. So your idea needs yet more refining OP I'm afraid… you need to find the areas with high levels of Amelias and ration them the hardest. Then we'll see the Boden mummies moving house to certain areas 'Well yes, the school might be failing, but there hasn't been a Jessica for two years so we're guaranteed to get that name'.

We have an Emily smile

PedanticPanda Sun 14-Oct-12 11:25:52

mumble would you have been willing to do the grape test to be able to use the name?

5Foot5 Sun 14-Oct-12 11:41:36

When I was at senior school there were six of us with the same first name in our form. That was 6 out of fifteen girls all answering to the same name! In the year as a whole there were seven of us - one other Jxxxx in another form.

What I could never get over was why, when the school looked at the list of people starting in 1973 and had to decide how to allocate them between five forms, they thought it would be a good idea to put 6 of the 7 Jxxxx all in the same form rather than split them between forms.

quoteunquote Sun 14-Oct-12 11:42:55

I know seven couples called Dan and Kate, we also know quite a few more couples that have duplicate names, really confusing sometimes especially when phone messages are left.

Himalaya Sun 14-Oct-12 11:50:58

How about a cap and trade system and let the market allocate?

Amelia, Chloe, Jack and Josh might end up trading at £500 for a naming licence.

Adolf, Gladys, Alan and Gertrude you could pick up for £1.

....of course if your name goes up in popularity and you trade it in later by dead poll you can cash in on your parents' foresightedness. grin

CassandraApprentice Sun 14-Oct-12 12:39:01

There are very common names in this area that I have never heard of prior to moving here.

We went for out of fashion traditional names - but found ourselvess at a head of a resurgence in popularity.

EndoplasmicReticulum Sun 14-Oct-12 12:44:22

Perhaps when children start school there should be a re-allocation, allowing duplicate children to choose an alternative name.

sausagesandwich34 Sun 14-Oct-12 13:10:39

thinking about it I know 3 couples called Andy & Jo

and I only know 1 Amelia who is 19 so not popular round here at all

him -postcode lottery do you think?

JumpJockey Sun 14-Oct-12 13:29:39

Quoteunquote - my neighbour's under-tens are called Kate and Dan grin

Interesting, DD1's Rainbow troupe has no repeated names and only one name in the top 20. I don't hear them very often around here, it would be a perfect moving spot for the Boden mums grin

QueenOfToast Sun 14-Oct-12 16:04:19

YouMayLogOut:
You get the ones who think they're being frightfully original and edgy but then they find most other people in North London have picked the same name!

This was me, I was so gutted with my lack of originality that we moved out of North London to suburbia where I can pretend that I still have some credibility and urban edgyness. grin

Littlebluetoo Sun 14-Oct-12 16:09:12

I've just come across a little girl called Alizabeth. Can't work out if it is a real name or just being silly with the spelling! I do know the poor child will be forever having to say " no you need to spell it with an A"!

ivykaty44 Sun 14-Oct-12 17:43:50

I have heard of an Alaura

complexnumber Sun 14-Oct-12 17:54:17

I haven't read any of this apart from the 'you being a brownie leader' bit.

So I just want to say thank you to you, and all the other brownie leaders around the world.

We love you!

Forget names.
Forget numbers.

Barcodes are the way forward. They have the added advantage of you being able to scan them in and out the house/school.

redlac Sun 14-Oct-12 17:58:19

5foot5. I am a J** born in 1973! Think there was 5 of us in our year at school

I am now know as J** L at work too as we have 4 J***e and 3 J***a

DD is the one one of up her name in her year so far at Primary however at nursery she did have classmates called Keeley, Cailey, Casey, Kate, Katie and Cassie - which was confusing when she has a slight speech impediment

redlac Sun 14-Oct-12 17:59:33

Bugger - I fucked up my **

1944girl Sun 14-Oct-12 18:03:25

My year of birth is in my user name.When I was at school there was one class I was in with four Carols.They were all born in December.The teacher referred to them as Carol A,B.C.or D.It was very common in those days for every girl born in December to have the name Carol or Christine.The equilivant for boys was David or Christopher.These names are not widely used now, and usually gives the owners age away.
There is always a ''fashion'' for names, they are all over the place then fade away and come back again.

JollyJackOLantern Sun 14-Oct-12 18:08:03

I was in a hockey team of 11 girls with6 Kirstys and two Kirstens. Nightmare.

Yanbu.

Lancelottie Sun 14-Oct-12 18:09:57

We once had a birthday party consisting entirely of Philippas and Katherines.

SeveredEdMcDunnough Sun 14-Oct-12 18:12:30

Have never met another child with ds2's name, or ds3's. I have met one other of ds1's, he's nearly 10.

I feel a bit better and less poncy after reading this thread, so thankyou.

It wasn't all about being different - I just felt odd using a name someone else I know had already got, iyswim - it feels like stealing!

marbleslost Sun 14-Oct-12 18:20:51

We once had a birthday party consisting entirely of Philippas and Katherines.

I don't think it's a new problem. Some of the wards I worked on seemed to be made up entirely of Valeries, Phyllis's or Ronald's.

I have a v common name which nobody uses now. It's very aging I think when that happens.

I do find Alizabeth amusing but I'm not quite sure why.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now