to worry that my new career may embarrass my dd?

(36 Posts)
Quasimodo Thu 11-Oct-12 21:27:32

ok...ive decided i want to do a PGCE to teach secondary, so i have started volunteering at dds primary year 5; she is year 3

i have a physical deformity which is not blindingly obvious immediately; some people notice it straight off, it has taken some friends a couple of years to notice hmm (they could be being polite i suppose. but its ugly, and getting worse with age

ive spoken to dd about it before; she looks blank and doesnt know what im taking about. i suppose ive always had it and always been her mum so maybe she doesnt see it

anyway some of the year 5 kids have noticed. some have asked me about it politely and some have expressed a bit of horror/disgust.

im worried that this is going to lead to problems/embarrassment for dd. And am considering not doing the PGCE afterall

its more WWYD i suppose? how would you handle it?

HappyJustToBe Fri 12-Oct-12 08:42:50

Don't comment on anyone your DD has a crush on in the hearing of others and you'll be top notch.

Whatever you do will be embarrassing to a teenager anyway!

Mrsjay Fri 12-Oct-12 09:01:32

Please keep up with it don't let your disability hold you back my children didn't realise i was disabled until somebody told them , your child loves you, I work with children and have in the past volunteered with the primary and I have only heard 1 or 2 incidents where children giggled 'cos i walk funny' , dont let it hold you back and good luck smile

Mrsjay Fri 12-Oct-12 09:02:50

Whatever you do will be embarrassing to a teenager anyway!

^ ^ this when your dd reaches teen years there will be times she won't want to walk beside you and everything you do is wrong regardless of what you look like,

Trills Fri 12-Oct-12 09:17:30

You should definitely go for it.

waterlego Fri 12-Oct-12 09:46:29

Totally agree with the others here. I'm an ex-secondary teacher and can vouch for the fact that teenagers will always find something to be rude about, whatever you look like! But having a teacher who doesn't necessarily fit their idea of what is usual or expected is a valuable learning experience for them.

I once worked with a very short (unusually so) male teacher who took a bit of ribbing from some students but took it very well and was extremely popular. More to the point- an excellent teacher.

One of my very good friends is a teacher and also has albinism so looks a bit different from the average person. In addition, her eyesight is obviously very poor so she has to use special glasses/lenses and so on while teaching. She is a brilliant teacher who has no trouble with discipline and I feel she sets a great example to her students in terms of what is possible for someone with a disability.

Slight tangent there, as you have said you have a deformity rather than a disability, but you get the point.

Good luck with your studies smile

DameFannyGallopsAtaGhost Fri 12-Oct-12 09:56:07

Just slightly off topic OP, but please be aware that teaching can be really bad for your back, and make sure you have specific advice and exercises to counteract the impact of working on a black/white board, standing lots etc?

kerala Fri 12-Oct-12 10:04:04

My mother taught at my primary - I was pretty indifferent to it tbh children so self absorbed it wasnt an issue for me or either of my sisters. Things become "normal" for children so the fact Quasimodos mum teaches on Thursdays will be utterly unremarkable.

That said my father taught at our secondary school which was MORTIFYING. He was a relatively popular effective teacher but still horrendous. I dont think its ideal to have parents at school secondary level but primary fine.

Trills Fri 12-Oct-12 10:05:15

I dont think its ideal to have parents at school secondary level but primary fine.

I'd say it's the other way around actually, at secondary school your parent will be one teacher out of many, and may not even be your teacher (we had three geography teachers, for example)

kerala Fri 12-Oct-12 14:29:44

You have obviously never sat in a full school assembly given by your dad Trills.

Trills Fri 12-Oct-12 14:35:55

Haha. No, I haven't.

kerala Fri 12-Oct-12 14:38:28

Maybe its ok if your parent is a low key scuttle in and out of school one of 3 geography teachers. Less so if locally "famous" high profile deputy head...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now