Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to throw myself to the nest of vipers for a serious telling off

(65 Posts)
howtobeamermaid Sun 07-Oct-12 23:50:28

I need one. I can't believe what I've just done. I feel sick.

Have stinking cold and was feeding baby DS (7 months). Put him down in cot and went downstairs. All quiet on monitor. Up to check 10 mins later and he's studiously chewing on one of my tissues I've somehow put down in cot with him. Shreds of it everywhere. Pick up, there's a 50p sized wodge of it on the roof of his mouth.

Mind is whirring with what-ifs now. Jesus Christ, I feel like the shittest mother ever.

Ugh. DH said he was fine, no point thinking of what if. Just be more careful in future. No that'not enough. Need a good flogging.

Wheresmypopcorn Thu 11-Oct-12 04:10:49

Illagevidiot - that's just beautiful.

I think eating sudocrem is a rite of passage for every baby/toddler, not an accident? grin

Accidental, your post made me laugh grin

HappyJustToBe Tue 09-Oct-12 08:38:45

Not your finest moment but if that is the lowest point in your child rearing then you're a fantastic mother. This is what I tell myself every time DD manages to find the sudocrem and get a mouthful before I notice - not ideal but if that's the worse I do then I'll take that.

howtobeamermaid Mon 08-Oct-12 23:19:48

Accidental haha! that's brilliant. And missorinoco DS is always trying to get his chops into the sudocrem too! I'm feeling better, thanks all, a good day today, only managed to let DS faceplant on the coffee table once

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Mon 08-Oct-12 21:48:31

These make me feel like an ace parent grin

When my DS was tiny my DH picked him up during the night when he was crying and 'temporarily' put him in the laundry basket while he went for a wee. He forgot about him and went to bed. I woke up to the sound of a tiny muffled cry from the bottom of a lie of dirty washing.

No harm done but I still remind and take the piss out of DH about it now.

missorinoco Mon 08-Oct-12 21:30:47

You have just reminded me of when DC1 was dropping his nap, and was playing quietly in his room (there was the obvious mistake). When I went to get him up he'd got the Sudacrem from on top of the chest of drawers and eaten it.

It was a tissue. It fell out of your sleeve/pocket. Hope you are feelng better now.

Neednewjeans Mon 08-Oct-12 21:23:42

Oh and you sound like a fantastic mum. Most would have just thought 'phew' and promptly forgotten about it.

Neednewjeans Mon 08-Oct-12 21:22:51

An accident! Just breathe and move on.

shuffleballchange Mon 08-Oct-12 20:06:35

You most certainly aren't a rubbish mum. I'll just give you two examples of my crappy parenting (there are plenty more) When DS1 was about a year, I had smothered him in his diprobase cream, he wad so slippery he somehow managed to shoot over my shoulder and hit the floor headfirst, luckily I was kneeling, not standing. Last week DS2 had two bumps to the head, two fat lips, a bruised cheek and split ear which had to be glued, god that sounds awful now reading that back, all separate incidents whilst in my care. Both fell off the bed in their first year and both have fallen down the stairs. They are two of the happiest, healthy boys you could wish to meet and are the centre of my world. These things happen.

SoupInaBasket Mon 08-Oct-12 18:47:28

My mum left a cup of hpt fresh tea at toddler level and my brother tipped it all over himself.
24 years on she still thinks about it!
My brother is absolutely fine and I'd say a brilliant bloke.
And you'd never know he got burnt!
X

Mistakes happen. There have been many times I've done some daft things but DD is still fine.
She fell off the bed when she was fairly small; I've left the stairgate open and she wandered onto the landing; she picked up a cat claw from the carpet and tried to eat it...
Each time I was there and able to intervene immediately so no damage done.
Doesn't stop me beating myself up over it though, so I fully understand.

Convert Mon 08-Oct-12 18:43:27

Floggingmolly I thought I'd got away with that one with DC3 and was feeling all smug until I left her with my Mom while I went on a driving lesson and she let her fall off the bed grin

peachypips Mon 08-Oct-12 14:35:43

Oh and nothing wrong with eating a tissue! No more likely to choke on that at 7 months than finger food. They have a great gag reflex at that age. When DS was one he ate a tea bag from the bin!!

peachypips Mon 08-Oct-12 14:22:55

For the first two years with my first particularly I used to obsess about all the dreadful things that could happen to him. All manner of awful pictures used to run through my head. I still sometimes do it but not anywhere near as much! Try and relax- that will be better for everyone in the long run. When my youngest was 4 weeks old my OH dropped him at the top of the stairs. He bounced twice and then hit the concrete. He had a skull fracture and a brain bleed. He's fine now! We just felt like the wordt parents- but it was a mistake, just like you. There are so many things that could happen I'm amazed more don't.
Bless you- stop worrying and start enjoying!!!!

Floggingmolly Mon 08-Oct-12 14:20:25

Oh, and by the way, they've all rolled off the bed at some time or another during their first year. All of my three, and everyone else i've ever spoken to has had it happen too. They've all survived!

RobinSparkles United States Mon 08-Oct-12 14:20:03

If I had a pound for every mistake I made I would be rich.

It's a shame that I don't because then I would be able to afford to pay someone, who actually knows what they're doing, to look after my DC! grin

Go easy on yourself! It was an accident and no harm was done in the end. It's no use thinking of the 'what ifs'.

Hope you feel better soon! smile

DontGrumbleGiveAWhistle Mon 08-Oct-12 14:14:04

Ahh - the flogs were for my three things - not for yours! Hope you're still not feeling vulnerable

[slinks off now]

DontGrumbleGiveAWhistle Mon 08-Oct-12 14:13:06

Oh I forgot - flog flog flog!

DontGrumbleGiveAWhistle Mon 08-Oct-12 14:12:13

Didn't let DC1, aged 18 months, fall down the stairs because we were moving shortly so why put up a stairgate...
Didn't lose DC2, aged 2, in a busy tourist area abroad...
Didn't let DC3 fall out of the pram aged 8 days old...

And I'm trying to convincve DH that we should have another? hmm

theodorakis Mon 08-Oct-12 13:29:58

When I was 2 weeks old my mum dropped me down a stone staircase and I apparently bounced 10 times. When I was 4 I drank Dukhams Hypergrade engine oil that was in a corona lemonade bottle. I was left at some awful craft show aged about 7 and when I was 5 they all got off the tube at Earls Court, walked home and didn't realise they had left me on the train until I had reached the next station. My parents lost me at the big CND march but were very committed and decided to wait until things "thinned out" before panicking.
I have modelled my parenting on a lot of don't do what they did but a little speck of what they did because they were ace parents, I love them to bits and they have always been there for me really. I forgive them for everything except taking me on a CND march, that was terrible, I was so scared my friends would find out!
I hope that helps

KenLeeeeeee Mon 08-Oct-12 13:22:13

The reason you are far from a shit mother is that you are beating yourself up over this. You haven't shrugged it off and said "oh well, he's fine". You're meant to be freaked out, but you do also need to take a deep breath and accept that everyone makes silly mistakes.

When bathing dd when she was 18months old, dh let her stand up in the bathtub, whereupon she slipped over, banged her mouth on the side and ended up having to have her two front teeth removed under GA because they were smashed. Stupid mistake on his part, but he's bloody careful now about kids in the bath.

LilyCocoplatt Mon 08-Oct-12 13:17:54

Just this morning my almost 2 year old fell out of the supermarket trolley because I hadn't done the seatbelt thing up tight enough, had put the trolley out of arm's reach of the tempting goodies while I reached up to get something and of course she tried to stand up to reach them and toppled out. I was lucky, nothing broken and she stopped crying and forgot all about it when I bribed her with chocolate five minutes later, she also regularly lauches herself off the sofa onto the laminate floor with a thud, most kids are pretty bouncy.

theodorakis Mon 08-Oct-12 13:16:45

Nothing helpful to say except get better soon and eat some chocolate to feel better.

Lueji Mon 08-Oct-12 13:05:22

I didn't lower the bottom of DS's cot when he had outgrown it and he fell over the side, knocking his head on the floor. blush sad

I think we have all done stupid things with our children.

We are not perfect.

MsVestibule Mon 08-Oct-12 12:13:07

TBH, I can't believe how nice everybody is being to the OP. She negligently left a tissue in a baby's cot, and that's OK? Consider yourself flogged, you bad mother.

I didn't carry 3mo DD in a bouncy seat, then balance it on my hip while I opened a door and allow it to collapse so she fell on her head. Or put my 7mo DS in a Bumbo seat on a raised surface so he fell off, yes, on his head. Oh no, I'm a responsible mother, me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now