Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To pay the taxi driver half the fare?

(205 Posts)
Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 18:32:16

Booked a taxi at 7:30pm on friday night for 8:10pm. The taxi hadn't turned up by 8:20pm so rang and was told it was at the end of my road. Still hadnt arrived at 8:30pm so rang again to be told the same, which clearly wasn't the case as my road is a culdesac with 28houses so not long! Taxi finally turned up at 8:45pm then the driver drove like a prick the whole way to destination. When I got out I only paid half the fare was I being unreasonable to do so?

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 23:07:14

So it's the controllers fault the driver drove in a dangerous manner and when asked to drive responsibly shrugged it off and said no because he had 35mins to make up?? Dont think so!
Controller on phone agreed half price fare as we'd been messed around before he even got there

Isabeller Sun 07-Oct-12 23:07:43

I used to drive a taxi on a 50/50 deal at nights so someone paying half would ensure the owner and operator (company you phone) got paid but I got nothing.

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 23:08:07

What pay for a shit service and have my life put at risk? Dont think so

AmberLeaf Sun 07-Oct-12 23:08:42

What 35 mins did he have to make up?!

It doesn't work like that!

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 23:09:45

His words were 'I have to speed and drive like this as im 35mins behind where I should be'

AmberLeaf Sun 07-Oct-12 23:10:30

I dont believe you.

Tiredmumno1 Sun 07-Oct-12 23:10:48

Good grief

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 23:11:16

Amber leaf -why?

AmberLeaf Sun 07-Oct-12 23:13:31

Because I know enough about how that industry works to think that's not something a cab driver would say-because it doesn't work like that.

sashh Sun 07-Oct-12 23:13:52

YANBU not because of the taxi being late but because of his driving.

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 23:15:38

Well that's what he said. Still no excuse for putting mine and others life at risk though

Tiredmumno1 Sun 07-Oct-12 23:17:25

So why use the same company on the way back? What if it would have been him that had picked you up again?

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 23:22:02

Used same company as 99% of the time they are the most reliable taxi firm in the area, also normally one of the safest

Tiredmumno1 Sun 07-Oct-12 23:25:26

Tbh that doesn't make much sense considering you obviously had other local cab companies, and this has wound you up so much to come on here to make a meal out of it, you were really angry that your lives were put at risk, yet a few hours later you were getting back into one of their cabs hmm

Odd very odd

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 23:28:19

The other companies are never reliable and take over 1 hour to turn up and are never as safe.
The company I used are 99% of the time there early & the safest around with polite, decent drivers

bonnieslilsister Sun 07-Oct-12 23:28:50

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 23:31:01

So doing 45 if not more in a 30 is not speeding?
Also needing to be in right hand lane of a 3 lane junction but remaining in the leftist lane until the junction and cutting up cars in the process isnt wreckless

Tiredmumno1 Sun 07-Oct-12 23:33:44

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

WorraLiberty Sun 07-Oct-12 23:36:24

Keep trying OP

But you're still BVVU

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 23:45:59

What don't you lot get about them 99% of the time being the best by far. That's why I used them again and I'll continue to use them. Since Friday have complained to the company who are investigating the driver for being late.

Haven't hopped about at all, have said im pissed off with lateness and driving. I only praised them for their normal service

zippey Sun 07-Oct-12 23:47:02

So he drove like a maniac for a mile? I think you are making excuses to ease off the guilt you feel deep inside.

I know you are trying to be beligerant and stick up for yourself but can you honestly not see that you were being unreasonable, and that you did a crappy thing to someone going about their job?

Someone made a great bus analogy earlier - Calypso - she said try getting on a late bus and say you'll only pay half fare because its late. The driver would tell you where to get lost!

Tiredmumno1 Sun 07-Oct-12 23:47:27

And what don't you get about you BU?

WorraLiberty Sun 07-Oct-12 23:48:35

No I sincerely doubt you'll continue to use them

I'm quite sure you'll be black listed.

Tiredmumno1 Sun 07-Oct-12 23:52:06

Oh gawd worra don't start her off again, she'll be telling us that she won't be blacklisted as the company think she is trustworthy 99% of the time grin

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 23:53:25

Not blacklisted as used them today and have spoken to manager who agrees I paid. Accordingly and he's investigating the driver

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now