To pay the taxi driver half the fare?

(205 Posts)
Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 18:32:16

Booked a taxi at 7:30pm on friday night for 8:10pm. The taxi hadn't turned up by 8:20pm so rang and was told it was at the end of my road. Still hadnt arrived at 8:30pm so rang again to be told the same, which clearly wasn't the case as my road is a culdesac with 28houses so not long! Taxi finally turned up at 8:45pm then the driver drove like a prick the whole way to destination. When I got out I only paid half the fare was I being unreasonable to do so?

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 21:58:34

Take the bus hahaha erm no I rang a taxi for a reason.

There were 3 of us who got the taxi and all of us said paying half wasn't unreasonable

Tiredmumno1 Sun 07-Oct-12 22:01:58

Still not so sure the police would see it that way, but hey ho. What's done is done, you are obviously not going to do anything about it, so just move on and hope that the cab company don't follow it up. Also I think there were more than 3 people here telling you that you were being U, also you probably won't be able to use their cab company anymore.

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 22:15:00

Have used the company for when coming home. No issues what so ever! They can call the police over £2 as I don't care because the police will probably laugh at them

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Sun 07-Oct-12 22:24:46

£2? So your entire fare was only £4? confused

Where the fuck do you live where you can get taxi rides for £4? shock

Taxis round here won't take you to the end of your own road for less than a fiver.

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 22:28:22

£4 is the minimum fare and it was less than a mile journey which we would normally walk but it was pissing down

XiCi Sun 07-Oct-12 22:29:10

Of course yabu. If you needed to be at a surprise party then why leave so little time to book a taxi? The situation you found yourself in was your own fault. Surely you realise that taxis start getting busy at that time on a friday night? What youve done is basically theft, and you sound so very proud of yourself. As everyone else has said it wont have been the drivers fault, yet he gets a mouthful from you and half his fare left on a seat, nice

SirBoobAlot Sun 07-Oct-12 22:30:04

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

calypso2008 Sun 07-Oct-12 22:30:50

I think you slightly missed the point of my bus analogy but 'hey ho' the three of you all agreed that you were totally in the right so I am not quite sure why you are asking us.

A four pound taxi fare must mean you could have walked there in about two minutes.

calypso2008 Sun 07-Oct-12 22:33:44

biscuit from me too.

Honestly, I am surprised anyone agreed to pick up a four pound fare on a Friday night at 8pm.

Poor taxi driver, I hope and expect, they never pick you up again.

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 22:34:23

It's a 15min walk and not one I'd want to do in heels and the rain!
We left the same amount of time we do every Friday we go out. The taxi company is huge so most the time you can ring and say ASAP and they are there within 10-15 mins

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 22:35:02

The £4 fare is the minimum rate for local journeys

Tiredmumno1 Sun 07-Oct-12 22:35:24

What sirboob said.

XiCi Sun 07-Oct-12 22:39:53

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

ShellyBoobs Sun 07-Oct-12 22:40:40

£4 fucking pounds? Between 3 of you?

And you only paid the poor sod half of it because the company ballsed up?

Unbelievable. And very fucking tight.

How did you each spend the 67p you saved?

FredFredGeorge Sun 07-Oct-12 22:40:57

Okay so YABU now to wait 35 minutes for a 15 minute walk and arse about a 4quid fare.

The principle of disputing a fare I don't disagree with but when you're already messing the driver about with such a short and irrelevant journey.

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 22:43:43

Erm not an irrelevant journey. I'd love to see you walk it in high heels and heavy rain!

ravenAK Sun 07-Oct-12 22:44:02

Oh well, yadbu then.

Should've a) cancelled & walked & b) not diddled the poor bloke out of £2.

Just use adifferent firm next time if they overbook.

DeepPurple Sun 07-Oct-12 22:47:56

I got a taxi last night. I booked it 3 hours before I needed it. He turned up 15 mins early and gladly waited for us as we weren't ready.

My fare was also £4. I paid £5. Even though I was a bit annoyed that he was early and I felt a bit rushed. It would never occur time to pay half of such a small fare.

£4 between 3 of you and you only paid £2 between 3 of you? Selfish.

Yabvvvvu.

Hth

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 22:49:33

Clearly you lot don't understand that it wasn't appropriate to walk! We would of looked like drowned rats by the time we got there,

40mins is adequate time to book a taxi on Friday night

calypso2008 Sun 07-Oct-12 22:51:24

MerylStrop Sun 07-Oct-12 22:52:31

YABreally incredibly U - it was the company's fault, not the driver's
He'll be out of pocket now

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 22:54:25

Yes it may have been companies fault but on the phone they said pay half if you feel appropriate

Surely it's not the companies fault for him driving a prick

Tiredmumno1 Sun 07-Oct-12 22:59:45

You asked if you were BU, quite a few people have told you that you are, so why not just take that rather than keep trying to explain? I haven't changed my mind.

AmberLeaf Sun 07-Oct-12 23:04:23

YABVU

My Dad used to cab for a living, you do realise thats what it is, a living not a charity?

It wasn't the drivers fault it was the controllers fault, the controller is the one that lied to you!

On a few occasions my Dad drove people who said they wouldn't pay up straight into the police station where he would start to sound his horn.

They paid up then of course.

Total pisstake.

bonnieslilsister Sun 07-Oct-12 23:05:39

You are a cheese never heard this before and here is a biscuit to go with it

Can't get over between three of them they refused to pay £2 tight gits what you do is pay what you owe and don't leave a tip if you are that peeved

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now