To pay the taxi driver half the fare?

(205 Posts)
Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 18:32:16

Booked a taxi at 7:30pm on friday night for 8:10pm. The taxi hadn't turned up by 8:20pm so rang and was told it was at the end of my road. Still hadnt arrived at 8:30pm so rang again to be told the same, which clearly wasn't the case as my road is a culdesac with 28houses so not long! Taxi finally turned up at 8:45pm then the driver drove like a prick the whole way to destination. When I got out I only paid half the fare was I being unreasonable to do so?

dondon33 Sun 07-Oct-12 20:00:03

I'm in the middle - I understand why you done it, who knows where he was if he didn't offer an explanation -he could of popped to the shops for all we know.
However
The cab company I used before were terrible for this, a few of the drivers who got the sharp end of my tongue, told me it was the booking guys fault - taking all bookings when he knew there was no chance of picking up at the booked time. They'd told him not to do it and had lost lots of customers, including myself.

zippey Sun 07-Oct-12 20:05:04

Id agree about paying half if they had driven them halfway to the destination, but its not the OP's judgement call to make. Morally wrong in my opinion.

FredFredGeorge Sun 07-Oct-12 20:13:06

Disputing the fare in the circumstances is entirely reasonable, and if indeed the OP warned the firm during a chase up phone call then I'd say it was agreed by the firm when they continued to provide the service.

If the driver does have a weak contract with the dispatcher, then it might make him re-think, it doesn't mean the OP should be out of pocket.

There is nothing wrong with disputing fares, and if the driver accepted it, then all is good.

FredFredGeorge Sun 07-Oct-12 20:14:18

WorraLiberty As described it would be a civil debt - offer of payment was made on a disputed fare - that would make it not a police matter, I believe there's case law on the subject.

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 20:15:41

Also when on phone to company they said he was in a place where he didn't need to be as the job before took him to another side of town from us and where he was

Just FYI, in most firms the cabbies are self employed, not employed by the taxi firm itself. So the promises that the person on the phone made to you (that he was in your road etc) are nothing to do with the cabbie himself.

cheesesarnie Sun 07-Oct-12 20:21:47

yabu.

don't get in next time.

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 20:22:23

This taxi company has tracking so can see where each of their drivers are etc so clearly both wer wrong

MrsKeithRichards Sun 07-Oct-12 20:24:31

Yabu, totally unreasonable.

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 20:25:49

Surely it's totally unreasonable for him to be 35mins late & for the company to lie?

slambang Sun 07-Oct-12 20:31:49

YABU

The driver has no control over when the firm has said he'll be at your house. If the firm over-books him so he can't make the trip to yours in time the driver cannot miss out the booking before you to get to yours on time. If you ring and complain that he's late the firm is the one who has lied and said he's on your street. The firm will not suffer from the lost payment as he will pay them a set fee.

Did you tell him to stop driving like a prick? Did you say that you would not pay the full fare if he continued to drive dangerously. Or ask to be set down because he was driving badly?

Thought not.

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 20:39:22

Yes commented on driving 3 times and he shrugged it off and said he has 35mins to make up

slambang Sun 07-Oct-12 20:47:29

You are right. It's unreasonable for him to be late and for the copany to lie. But it's the company you should have directed your disatisfaction towards. It's like going to a restaurant and having a shit meal so you still pay the chef but not the waitress.

He wasn't late because he was sitting in a carpark having a fag (probably) or sitting in the street next to yours just to annoy you. I'd have called the comany and cancelled. Then not used them again.

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 20:52:55

I had rang 2 other companies once he was late but they said their was a half hour wait so seemed easiest to use original one

WorraLiberty Sun 07-Oct-12 20:55:52

I had rang 2 other companies once he was late but they said their was a half hour wait so seemed easiest to use original one

That's not the cab driver's problem is it?

The fact is you gladly got into his car when it eventually arrived and then you refused to pay what you owed.

That's out of order.

Dordeydoo Sun 07-Oct-12 20:57:42

No I got in the car because I was 30mins late for a surprise party and needed to get there ASAP

It's like going to a restaurant and having a shit meal so you still pay the chef but not the waitress

This ^ is bang on, totally agree.

WorraLiberty Sun 07-Oct-12 21:05:22

Then you should have paid up.

CherylWillBounceBack Sun 07-Oct-12 21:06:40

you're getting a bit of a hard time op. In your shoes, I would have been pissed off too - especially when he started driving like an idiot. and would have not paid in full. However, I would have told the driver I was doing this during the journey and to take it up with the firm who made the booking. if he decided to stop the cab once he knew I wasn't going to give him full fare, that would be fine. Am surprised others are on the side of the company rather than the consumer in a case like this.

Tiredmumno1 Sun 07-Oct-12 21:17:24

I think you are BU, I know you may be pretty pissed off at what happened, however wouldn't you prefer to just be the bigger person and go and pay the rest of the fare rather than putting yourself in a position that you may have the police on your doorstep, I don't think they'll care about your reasons, you owe this man his money. If you want to complain about his driving then you need to mention it to the company (when you are paying them)

calypso2008 Sun 07-Oct-12 21:20:57

Fred There is nothing wrong with disputing fares, and if the driver accepted it, then all is good.

The OP just chucked it down on the seat and left.

Well, OP... if you can live with it, good for you. I would not behave like this.

calypso2008 Sun 07-Oct-12 21:24:40

Plus, I have no idea where you live, but on a Friday night at the busiest time of the week, for a surprise party, I would have booked a little more in advance.

I lived in London, 40 minutes for a cab on a Friday at that time night was out of the question if you did not book well in advance.

Anyway, you know you were being unreasonable, you must do.

PropositionJoe Sun 07-Oct-12 21:28:00

How is she supposed to take it up with the cab office after she has paid then?

calypso2008 Sun 07-Oct-12 21:38:13

Should have got on a bus then, if the bus was late, say to the bus driver 'I am only paying half the fare' and see how she got on then.

I have changed my mind. The OP was NBU she was being totally dishonest.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Sun 07-Oct-12 21:44:02

I don't think you did anything wrong by not paying, although I do feel for the poor taxi driver who is now short of pay. But because he's pissed off, he will take it up with the operators, and they might begin to think about being honest. Or, as you told them that you would only pay half, they will do the right thing and make up his money out of their earnings, as they are the ones to blame.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now