to be amazed that the Radio One Teen Awards have a new award this year and it is for...

(29 Posts)
aleene Sun 07-Oct-12 15:14:20

Female Hottie

<checks calendar that is is actually 2012>

Radio One think it is acceptable to impress on teenage girls that a Female Hottie award is the way to go?

AIBU?

Sucking joy from things is.....fun grin

GoldShip Sun 07-Oct-12 22:42:01

Before you suck the last drop of joy out of it, just remember it's supposed to be fun

grin

aleene Sun 07-Oct-12 22:41:33

Nice quote here 'Daniel Radcliffe picked up Best British Actor while his former co-star Emma Watson collected Female Hottie of the Year.' Arrggghh, it sounds like Daniel gets an award for acting while Emma gets an award for looking nice.
YES, I know I am overthinking this! grin

Tom Daley got male hottie.

link Sorry, it is the DM.

aleene Sun 07-Oct-12 22:29:39

Actually I think Emma Watson won the 'female hottie' but I suspect she is neither up or down about it as she is actually talented IMO. I don't begrudge the teenagers who vote for this crap but as someone else said it is the adults who instigated it who I am a bit hmm at. Of course teenagers are shallow and base lots of judgements on looks but should we as adults be perpetuating this?
No idea who won the male hottie as I turned the radio off smile

LadyBeagleEyes Sun 07-Oct-12 19:17:17

I bet Harry from One Direction will win the male hottie award.
I'm so down with the kids.
I wonder what the female one will be. Tulisa maybe?

piprabbit Sun 07-Oct-12 19:13:04

It does sound a bit like the "not talented enough to win a proper award but she's got a nice rack" award.

Unfortunately it's more like to be a reward for Most Effective Use of Cosmetic Surgery rather than recognising good genes.

^ Obviously the medals would be awarded by parents.....

BupcakesAndCunting Sun 07-Oct-12 18:56:24

"Awarded for having good genes? why can't all babies get awards at birth then, they're all gorgeous."

You clearly haven't seen the babies of a girl I went to school with. They make a good argument for the hijab thatsallimsayinglike.

Exposing girls and women to objectification doesn't come with the territory of being a teenager. The adults planning this thing wouldn't be begrudging them any sort of milestone. As I remember, marketing pink prams to kids and guns to boys was all in the name of fun for the kids too, but the consequences aren't exactly fun to deal with, and I doubt a closer look at the intentions of those products would make for fun reading either....

thebody Sun 07-Oct-12 18:25:10

It's just fun for kids. If you actually listen to radio 1 over the age if 18 then grow up.

Radio 5 is for adults.

MadgeHarvey Sun 07-Oct-12 18:23:35

Sheesh. The only kind of hot I've ever really been is menopausally! You seriously can't begrudge teens being teens (they WILL grow out of this mindset y'know!) for reasons of either a feminist standpoint or because someone, somewhere has a child with an eating disorder. You just can't.

whatsoever Sun 07-Oct-12 18:20:05

YABU - it's silly to pretend human beings (teenage ones at that) don't find other human beings hot.

I think it's good they have both male and female categories. Interested to see who gets the female nod.

I wouldn't want a "Male Hottie" award anyway. Everyone knows they'll be taken completely differently. Awarded for having good genes? hmm why can't all babies get awards at birth then, they're all gorgeous.

aleene Sun 07-Oct-12 15:39:57

Worra, I do have a lot of angst for celeb mags and papers - Daily Fail for a start. Disappointed to see Radio One adding to it. and yes okay similar awards were around in previous years but would be nice to hope we could have moved on a bit.

aleene Sun 07-Oct-12 15:37:26

No awards will be dished out based upon talent
yes, I take your point entirely. The whole thing is just a screaming match especially when blooming One Direction are mentioned. I am definitely not their target audience and need to retune my radio immediately!
I just found it really disappointing that 'Hottie' is an acolade we are touting about in such a blatant manner.
<old gimmer>

WorraLiberty Sun 07-Oct-12 15:37:15

Yes OP

A lot of fun things are fairly pointless but they're fun.

Really I think your angst would be better directed at people who buy newspapers and magazines to read the latest 'celeb' gossip.

They're mostly full of judgement about who's 'hot' and who's not.

The smash hits awards from 1988 onwards used to have best looking male and female so it's hardly a new kind of award

Sidge Sun 07-Oct-12 15:29:43

I thought developing your Hottie List was a compulsory part of being a teenager?

Burgeoning sexuality an all that.

In the 80s I didn't give a hoot whether Rob Lowe, Tom Cruise and Simon Le Bon were talented I just thought they were mighty fiiiiiine...

ShellyBoobs Sun 07-Oct-12 15:28:28

We pay licence fee to have women insulted?

If it was an 'Uggliest Female' award I could see your point, but how is this award insulting?

When you consider that pop music relvolves almost entirely around image and 'looks' I don't see why this award matters any more than any others. They will all be awarded to whoever 12-14yo girls think is 'hot'.

Musically, nothing except manufactured pop aimed squarely at pubescent young girls will get a look in. No awards will be dished out based upon talent; I absolutely guarantee that. Now that is worth getting your knickers in a twist over.

aleene Sun 07-Oct-12 15:27:41

Fun is fine.

But to introduce a new award for something so pointless?

WorraLiberty Sun 07-Oct-12 15:23:52

They have female hottie

They have male hottie

Before you suck the last drop of joy out of it, just remember it's supposed to be fun.

There's hardly a man, woman or teen who hasn't had a poster of a pop star on their bedroom wall at one point....and not always because they're 'talented'.

aleene Sun 07-Oct-12 15:22:10

Kim sad I really am speechless.

kim147 Sun 07-Oct-12 15:20:34

I wonder if a friends DD who is suffering from anorexia knows that. All this bloody focus on women's appearance has real consequences for real people.

aleene Sun 07-Oct-12 15:19:44

Not sure. Perhaps they do. someone from One Direction will get it

But awards should be for talent or achievement surely?!

There is a male hottie one as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now