Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

That I should switch my kids school (long, sorry)

(80 Posts)

This is causing major angst in our house, arguments between me and other half.

I haven't been happy with my kids school for ages. DS is at nursery, DC is in Year 1.

In FS2 last year, my DC's first teacher was there from September to March. She was pregnant got really aggression with some of the kids as she got further along. Myself and the other Mums were very happy to see her go.

Replaced with another teacher who she has now, who is hit and miss. One minute she is fine with us parent's next she's not. She is very negative and doesn't exactly point out what the children are good at, more dwells on what they are not. I also found the end of term report to be error filled, such as her Maths report, she is pretty good at maths but it said she wasn't and needs lots of help (not my expereince). One of the other Mums put it right when she said she felt the teacher has "favorites" and the others tend to fade into the background.

Anyway, she constantly blames my daughter for things. She pulled me up in front of the other parents last term as my daughter was reported to have bitten another child. Very out of character, so asked DC what happened. DC was in floods of tears, apparently this girl and another had been slapping and kicking her on and off all day, so she reacted to get them to stop. Wrong, of course, but the bruising all over my DC was disgraceful. I asked if she had explained and was told the teacher kept telling her to shut up. One of the other girl's Mums actually went in to explain what had happened with me, as she had asked her daughter what had happened and her daughter felt bad (that's how loud she was about talking to me).

There is a serious racism problem as well, my DC's Poppy was ripped off by an Asian girl and she stamped on it telling my DC she shouldn't wear it. I reported this and it was laughed off.

Today, DC home in tears, DP very cross. Apparently, same teacher (they moved up with her, I'd have preferred other class) has brought some supposedly "precious" book on Origami in, and showed the class, allowing them to pass it round whilst the origami pop ups were out (its apparently like a pop up book). This is a bunch of 5 years olds, remember.

DC has been shouted at and dragged to the head as she has reportedly "screwed up" one of the figures. She now doesn't want to go back to school. We are being called in to tomorrow about it. Over a book.

I asked for DCs side, as I always do. Teachers aren't infallible. This teacher has proved before she can't be trusted to get both sides when she gets angry. According to my DC, she was handed not the book, but the book via the figure, so of course with it being delicate, its perished. No one asked this though.

I am livid. She is 5, she has been in Year 1 for a matter of weeks, and if this book was so precious, surely the teacher should have showed it the class rather than leaving it to very young children? Especially as its delicate.

Not only that, DS is a 28 weeker, has ongoing health issues, and damp weather upsets this. They took him on knowing this and have driven me mad, demanding doctors letters about his condition so they can gain "additional funding". But my son needs no adaptions for the class room or extra help whatsoever. No matter how many times I ask that he doesn't go outdoors in the bad weather, they refuse to do this, as "they cannot make an example of on child". Last week he was left out in the rain, after they'd removed his jumper- queue visit to A+E over the weekend when he became so ill he could hardly breathe. They also allowed him to wet his pants last week, as they refused to undo his button for him.

They wouldn't allow his to go up to FS2 with his peers in September as he had time off due to illness (which they contributed to with their silly rules on constant outdoor play), but when you bear in mind Nursery isn't compulsory, this really makes me cross.

DP doesn't agree and has banned me from going to this meeting tomorrow. I am to the point of going to Ofsted over the treatment of the children.

Whats the general consensus?

Brycie Fri 05-Oct-12 20:12:18

She needs to be banned from volunteering, the Mum I mean. The teacher's mum.

Yes Brycie, I agree. It was between the HT, the teacher and myself, not this woman, and she certainly shouldn't be discussing it in that way with other Mums. I'm going to personally see to it that she doesn't go near my DD ever again, if not removed from the volunteer list totally.

DeWe, the two Mums I spoke to, such was the nature of the way Teacher dealt with my DP Thursday at pick up time, meant they heard what was said and heard her give my partner the pre-arranged appointment time. One of them knows my DD (and us all) very well, as she lives two doors down from us in the same street, we've lived here since DD was 3, and her DS has the same health issues as mine. They asked how I got on, I told them the bare details of the meeting, and that DD had finally said to the HT that she gets punched and kicked by two boys specifically. They asked who, I said who, only as I know the neightbours son has had issues with the two boys as well. As had, I found, the other Mum. That is not gossiping, that is Mums who have concerns regarding their children's treatment whilst in school. Also neighbour isn't massive fan of teacher after she told her off in front of us all last year for "not feeding her son enough at lunchtime" as he is a fussy eater. She then filled his lunchbox up with loads, and was again moaned at for that too. Bearing in mind this Mum's eldest is 19, and her middle child is 13, I'm sure she knows what is right and wrong for her DS.

Gossipy Mum, on the other hand, is a pain in the arse- I couldn't even get the phone number of another Mum who removed her son before the start of the term. DD had gone to his birthday party in the summer holidays, but forgotten her jacket, as my SIL picked her up. We wanted to arrange me collecting the jacket, but my phone had an accident and I lost her number. On asking if anyone had it (not of gossipy Mum), she started asking all sorts of questions on why I was "silly" to leave DDs jacket behind, and when I told her SIL picked her up she wanted to know why my partner or I didn't. She just kept going on, why was my DP in London for the evening (he organises old school raves) and I was close to telling her to sod off. On getting the phone number from someone else, who text it to me rather than reading it out, she said she had kept leaving messages for this parent whose number I needed- it turned out when she walked off to no doubt harass someone else, that the other parent had deliberately not given her her new number as she drove her mad, hence why it was texted to me on pain of death that she'd find it out.

Asamumnonsense Fri 05-Oct-12 23:12:30

wow!! this whole situation sounds really stressful for everyone, especially for your DD. You should speak to the HT about the teacher's mum behaviour. That is shocking. Hope she is made to stop volunteering in the school. Very unprofessional way to deal about the situation. Change school and start fresh... Your DD is in Year 1, too many years left to carry on like this...

advisemewisely Mon 08-Oct-12 09:03:41

Did u manage to speak to the head today op?

I did- was just popping over to update.

DD is off school today, she spent Sunday back to not wanting to go to school. By 2am she was being horribly sick everywhere, so we kept her off.

I had to call the school to let them know, and asked if I could have a quick word with the HT.

Explained it to her, she agreed it must have felt like an ambush, and that she will have to decide what to do.

Book, however, has been fixed by the lovely secretary. God knows how

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now