To throw out all my Tupperware!

(33 Posts)
Molehillmountain Thu 04-Oct-12 15:03:50

Tupperware is a bit of a grand word for it! We have so many plastic boxes. When I want one I can't find the lid. They fill up loads of space. I am getting rid!!! Except for the little ones for dc packed lunches Freezer bags from here on in.

whois Sat 06-Oct-12 09:48:51

YANBU

I think abou once every three years you can treat yourself to a new tuppaware set with non-warped and matching lids. Bliss. grin

McHappyPants2012 Sat 06-Oct-12 01:00:24

tip from MN take 2.

1 save for trips for high school residental trips
2 save tubberwear for cookery

smile learning post by post lol

I buy the plastic Chinese takeaway tubs from macro - around £8 for 100. They are the only size / type (apart from 3 of the xmas biscuit boxes for cakes) we have and so the lids always fit.
When the lids split or tubs get discoloured from slag Bol I just chuck them away. The lids and pots even out in the end.

Lots of stuff - put it in 2 or 3 pots.

Stupid tiny amounts for cooking - I put it in individual cling film bundles and put them in 1 tub. Although bicarb and baking powder does look like wraps of coke or something grin

doinmummy Sat 06-Oct-12 00:17:21

I have loads of tiny Tupperware pots for when DD needed to take 4 grains of sugar and 0.000000025 grams of flour to school for food tech. Can't bring myself to Chuck em out though .

Molehillmountain Fri 05-Oct-12 23:21:50

I do know, with absolute certainty, that you are right, samuelwestsmistress sad

Molehillmountain Fri 05-Oct-12 23:20:34

Hinges! Genius! For now all is calm in the molehill household-at least tupperwarewise. I am not naive enough to think this will last beyond the point where any of the tubs actually gets used again. So I will be putting leftovers in foil or clingfilm covered bowls for now. I know it's sad but it gives me a small glow every time I open the cupboard.

Don't throw them away if you have a dc coming up to secondary school age. Food tech is a bastard for needing all sorts of tubs from giant ones for cakes to teeny ones for one tbsp milk hmm this week dd needed 4 Chinese takeaway tubs, one egg sized pot, one little pot for milk and a decent sized tub for the finished product.
When she finishes with food tech I'm going to melt the lot.

Tanyaaah Fri 05-Oct-12 20:17:52

Please stop.

MrsKeithRichards Fri 05-Oct-12 20:13:30

Why don't the make more of the hinged variety?

Viperidae Fri 05-Oct-12 20:06:44

I tidy ours up but am training DH to empty the dishwasher and it is messed up within days. Am debating throwing it all away and buying just a couple of new sets in an attempt to thwart the chaos.

Kbear Fri 05-Oct-12 19:58:54

My DD loves tidying cupboards (weirdo) and once tidied the "crazy plastic cupboard" and found 9 boxes and 28 lids.

So we threw away the spare lids.

Then we tidied DS's room and found about 15 boxes with NERF gun bullets stored in them, pens, all kinds of shite, and had no lids....

Let that be a lesson to you all.

missvague Fri 05-Oct-12 19:56:18

I wish my mum was alive to see this. But not the swearing.

SamuelWestsMistress Fri 05-Oct-12 19:51:36

Fucking Tupperware and plastic box bastards.

Work of the fucking bastard Devil. I spend time pairing up and tidying only for it to fall to shit again a few days later.

FUCK THE LOT OF THE MISMATCHING TWATS!

YANBU.

Hassled Fri 05-Oct-12 19:45:21

I've tried sensible stacking and dedicated drawers and all sorts. Pointless. The only solution is to lob them all on top of the fridge and hope for the best.

Slugslasher Fri 05-Oct-12 18:49:40

I'm not sure it's hygienic to store tubs with lids on....eeeek!

I stack matching lids on top of each other then on top of the stacked lids the tubs inside each other. Different sizes sideby side. It helps to have a designated shelf though.

Went into Lakeland and found a rack to stack your bakeware ( pizza tins, muffin tins, bun tins), I found this great to keep the cupboard organised. I use an old ceramic toast rack to slide different chopping boards in, the air can circulate around them, stops them getting mildewy.

Molehillmountain Fri 05-Oct-12 18:00:51

I stopped sulking, tidied the cupboard, reunited lids and boxes. Put a few I couldn't bear to chuck til house properly tidy in bag jn the useless back bit of cupboard. Twelve is a sensible number in different sizes. The Tupperware police will shoot on sight anyone who puts a box back into the cupboard without its lid wink

Idocrazythings Fri 05-Oct-12 10:55:06

This may then tip you over the edge lid storage organiser runs and signs up for protection

Idocrazythings Fri 05-Oct-12 10:45:05

I'm so glad I didn't see your post last night complex number- I would have been too scared to sleep. As it happens I have now developed a nervous tic and a fear of banging doors! No more Tupperware revelations from me wink

justmyview Thu 04-Oct-12 23:13:51

You lot don't get out enough ............

oldraver Thu 04-Oct-12 23:07:20

those plastic plate racks that are meant to go in cupboards store lids nicely

<just saying like>r

thenightsky Thu 04-Oct-12 20:43:43

What about bottoms? I've got loads of lids and hardly any bottom bits (tubs?)

Molehillmountain Thu 04-Oct-12 20:31:36

La la la not listening <fingers in ears> wink

complexnumber Thu 04-Oct-12 20:18:38

Did you know you can buy replacement lids for them? Idocrazythings.

WHAT! Anyone else want to stab sharp objects into IDCT's eyes after that post!

I'm not even sure why. I'm just outraged that someone can, bold as brass, walk into my computer screen and tell me that I can buy replacement lids!

I have spent decades discarding lidless tupperware, and now I am told there are replacements available!

I shall be watching you very carefully IDCT angry

Idocrazythings Thu 04-Oct-12 19:56:08

Did you know you can buy replacement lids for them?

Splishysploshy Thu 04-Oct-12 19:24:58

Now I do it the other way. I have a big tub with all the lids in on their ends and then the tubs neatly stacked in size order next to this. I do have the annual cull of the lidless wonders, it is just like the missing socks really. Know they come back to the house as a lid and a pot but somehow you always end up with more of one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now