Chicken thighs

(43 Posts)
M44 Thu 04-Oct-12 12:44:23

grrrrr......I asked the butcher for chicken thighs. I have got chicken thighs but with a lot more added on like chicken rib cage (well it looks like rib cage attached).......I saw one tidy thigh and that's what I thought I was getting. I did not have to expect to have to pay for a load of rubbish atached and and I don't have the knives to be able to cut out unwanted bones........grrrr

Should I take them back.....or what? I am grumping and now wish I hadn't bothered thinking about a lovely casserole for tea. Put right off at the thought of picking bones out........more than the norm......

M44 Thu 04-Oct-12 17:50:21

should say 'haven't got their certificates yet'

M44 Thu 04-Oct-12 17:49:22

I have frozen them for when I feel better.......peace to all on this thread.
We are very lucky- there are 5 butchers within walking distance (2-3 miles). The best is a family run one where the meat comes from their farms and it is all free range and happy...basically all organic but they have got their certificates yet- a long process I understand. Half is a butchers and half is a deli with the most amazing range of cheese and meats.
They are lovely lovely people- like I said gives us things to try; rounds down my meat and at Christmas they found me a lovely turkey but as it was quite a bit over the weight I had asked for-only charged me for what I had ordered. They let my children taste the cheeses they are interested in and will tell you all about them and if we ask for salami for example, and it is near the end they weigh what we want then slice the rest for free.....oh how I missed them today! They also had two enormous turkeys left over from Christmas and knowing I work with vulnerable people in poverty asked me if there was a charity that they could give them to that would cook them and give meals away.......was at least £200 of turkey.....they also put together a community cook book to raise money for charity and paid for all the printing/publishing costs. Gems they are!
I am a nice rational person-just so tired from chest infection and plueretic pain so can't walk far and feel like poo. I just wanted to make a simple but delicious and wholesome dinner packed with veg rather than have the quick fix of dh cooking fresh pasta etc (bless the dear man for looking after me) but the children were also asking for mummy's food.....bless 'em!

minipie Thu 04-Oct-12 17:20:58

Oh yes, agreed, if she has paid extra for the extra unwanted bit then that is not on at all.

And also not on to show you one thing and give you another.

No, ok, fair enough you misread - but I do get why the OP feels annoyed she paid for the easy option and ended up with a job.

I'm not sure she's actually throwing them away, though - is she not just saying she's not up to faffing around tonight?

Paiviaso Thu 04-Oct-12 17:00:33

I never said she was princessy for being not getting what she wanted. I said she was princessy for not bothering to cut them up now that she had them home.

I think whoever doesn't read replies correctly is a "fucking idiot", ladyintheradiotor.

YANBU and whoever called you princessy for not wanting to pay for bones you didn't ask for is a fucking idiot.

But pav, she's paid for bone when she wanted meat - how is that princessy, to object to that?

Paiviaso Thu 04-Oct-12 16:46:52

Sorry, standing by my princess comment, despite you being ill. It should take no time at all to get the bone out. Obviously I don't care what you do with your chicken though, be as princessy as you want if you aren't up for it.

Hope you feel better, I've been ill this week myself and it's shit.

panicnotanymore Thu 04-Oct-12 16:46:26

I'd have had a stroppy turn as well so YADNBU. That butcher is a crook - selling you scaggy bones at the price/kg for thighs. Sure they make good stock, and that would be fine if you'd paid pence for stock bones, but as it is he ripped you off. Bad mouth him to everyone you know (plus the biggest gossip you can find). It's the only way.

As an aside it really pisses me off when independent stores do this, as they then blame the supermarkets for low business, when actually it is their sub-standard stock and poor service that drives custom away. The butcher near me is the same - I would love to shop there, but he has sold me stinking off meat so many times I don't.

Woozley Thu 04-Oct-12 16:44:18

Yeah, you can be let down by supermarket meat, but what I meant was at least you can see there is not half a carcass attached...

bigsnugglebunny Thu 04-Oct-12 16:41:47

There's a bit behind the thighs that looks a bit ribcagey - it's not, but it's similar bones. Before that is a piece of meat called the "oyster" and it's known as the nicest part of the chicken... Perhaps the butcher you went to goes to the effort of including this in the thigh?

Nice and simple way to deal with it - roast them for 40 minutes or so, and then get all the meat off them when cooked and then use the cooked chicken in your dinner smile takes a bit longer, but it's loads easier than trying to de-bone them yourself.

I also second the freeze them till you're feeling up to it, and order yourselves a pizza comment!

winnybella Thu 04-Oct-12 16:39:40

I was sold chicken thighs like that once, do they have a bone perpendicular to the thigh bone? So, yes, more like chicken quarters and if he was selling it by weight then it is a bit of a scam, tb, as there isn't a lot of extra meat on them, but the bone will weigh quite a bit.

I just hacked the bone off with regualr kitchen knife, but you can just chuck it all into a casserole dish, won't make any difference.

*lean on the visible bit.

I can't type.

Solo Thu 04-Oct-12 16:35:40

I am a bit envy that you have a butcher's shop! no, twoooo butcher's shops near enough to go to. It is very annoying though. I bought a pack of reduced chicken thighs from Sainsbury and found they were chicken quarters instead, not a leg part amongst them!
Hope you feel better soon.

I dunno. I had some lamb 'leg steaks' from Sainsburys that looked nice and red and lead on the visible but, but the label hid the nasty, browning, fatty bits. I wasn't thrilled.

Woozley Thu 04-Oct-12 16:30:28

I wish I could use a whole chicken or chicken thighs/legs. DH only likes the breast meat so it is not a cheap purchase.

Woozley Thu 04-Oct-12 16:29:18

I wouldn't take it back though, I'd use what I could and use a different butcher next time. Or frankly, the supermarket. Which is why people do as you can see what you are getting.

I'm wondering what on earth they're attached to! confused

But, I'd suggest popping them into a casserole dish with some wine/cider/stock/water, plus some onion and herbs, for an hour or so. After that, all the meat will come off the bones very easily, and you won't have to faff around with working out how best to do it.

I would be miffed too, btw. I am quite happy shooting, gutting, plucking and jointing game if need be, so not squeamish or 'princessy' - but you pay for convenience, don't you?

Woozley Thu 04-Oct-12 16:27:52

It's not "extra free" chicken if you are paying by weight is it? If you are paying by weight you don't want to be paying for bits of carcass hmm

GragPop Thu 04-Oct-12 16:26:13

I would be annoyed getting something different from what I was shown.

yanbu.

I would freeze if possible.

EldritchCleavage Thu 04-Oct-12 16:18:44

I get it-you wanted something easy because you're not 100% (me too, I sympathise: D & V this weekend, lovely) but you got something unexpected and faffy which is making you feel queasy.

But you can use kitchen scissors like squeakytoy says and cut the straggly bits off.

Just use them for stock or freeze for when u r feeling better and can face sorting it out. Then order yourself a pizza/Chinese!! and have a medicinal wine or something hope u feel better soon!! Oh and beans on toast for the kids won't hurt!!! smile

squeakytoy Thu 04-Oct-12 16:05:39

I would use a pair of scissors and just cut the meat off.

M44 Thu 04-Oct-12 16:03:59

If you read the post, those whom have decided to call me a princess- you will read that I am recovering from being ill and wanted an easy supper and I have tried to take this rogue bone out. Simple- I can't be bothered today because i still feel S**T. I asked the butcher for something....he showed me what I was expecting and gave me something different. If I was on top form I would have cooked the whole lot up and served it......but because I feel S**T I haven't and have written it off. OK?
Oh it was butchered badly too......just put me off. We are allowed to have an off day.
You will also see I was laughing about it......after my grump.
I have killed chickens before, plucked and gutted them; I have helped skin a deer (yes killed legally-I wasn't poaching!)......am not generally squeamish. Ex nurse who has recieved amputated legs into black bags...
Why does mumsnet do this-why am I justifying myself now......I'm just having a rubbish day. Maybe I posted in the wrong section-I did ask you what you would do- fair dos....but to be called a princess will give my husband a right old laugh later. Princess, I certainly ain't!! Thank you UnChartered for sticking up for me!

minipie Thu 04-Oct-12 15:47:10

Um, sounds like you have been given free extra chicken, which outweighs (IMO) the hassle of cutting it off. If you're using it in a casserole the meat will fall off the bone by the time it's done anyway, so no need to trim?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now