To be (!) at this elf and safety advice for my new camera ?

(65 Posts)
sneezecakesmum Sun 17-Jun-12 15:22:18

When operating the viewfinder diopter control with
your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to
put your finger in your eye accidentally confused

Any other howlers?

OhDoAdmitMrsDeVere Sun 17-Jun-12 20:12:19

It was the way it was reported to be fair Nini. And then repeated until it entered urban myth. You are not the only one who remembers it like that

AmIthatbad Sun 17-Jun-12 20:25:12

You're not alone Nini, it is one of these stories that gets repeated over and over - and I will readily admit that until I read up on the case, I too thought "what did she expect, it's coffee" blush

CJfromTheWestWing Sun 17-Jun-12 20:28:43

I had a packet of precooked rice today which said "please remove lid before serving"!

Seriously, how else could I serve it?

When i was 14 my brother gave me a patrick cagool which was the mother of all cool and i was so chuffed until i decided to iron it blush - so do not iron!

picnicbasketcase Sun 17-Jun-12 20:31:05

I remember a case where someone burned a lump of skin off their arm by dropping some of the filling from a McD's apple pie on themselves. They aren't like eating lava anymore.

McApple pies used to be so hot! Urgh, are they lukewarm now?

RobinSparkles Sun 17-Jun-12 21:15:27

Ah, ok fair enough! smile

I'll admit that, thinking about it, there was a time that we went to Starbucks drive thru and DH got a black coffee. He gave it to me to hold and set off driving, they'd filled it to the bloody top and some spilled on my leg. I did curse them for making it so full, particularly as it was the drive thru!

heartmoonshadow Sun 17-Jun-12 21:20:51

Eye make up remover - avoid contact with eyes!

Firelighters - caution flammable

and my favourite ever some tablets my mum had with contraindications in cartoon format the one for may cause vomiting and diahorrea was v. funny.

Ones I've personally seen:

On the bottom of a chocolate gateaux- do not turn upside down
On a new kitchen knife- Warning! keep out of children.
On the OH's chainsaw- Caution, do not attempt to stop product with your hands
And the best one has to be on the photocopier at work- Do not attempt to photocopy body parts

trainbrown Sun 17-Jun-12 23:59:49

Caution Wet Floor, complete with a little picture of a person mopping, on a portable sign...next to the swimming pool!

trainbrown Mon 18-Jun-12 00:01:11

My hair dryer warns me "do not use in the shower"....ok so that will add 5minutes to my day then if I can't multi task in the shower!

MateyM00 Mon 18-Jun-12 00:01:48

i heard that in the safety manual on an american RV it said something like, cruise control, does not mean that you can go and make a cup of coffee

fairyfriend Mon 18-Jun-12 00:01:52

This thread is making me howl with laughter!
We bought a camping table- a really simple thing where you had to clip on the legs underneath. It came with 2 pages of instructions! I can't remember the exact wording, but there was something about pushing the legs into place with your foot, as you could trap your fingers if you did it with your hand, but you shouldn't put your whole weight on it, so there was a diagram of someone sort of leaning back and stamping on it. Brilliant!

cory Mon 18-Jun-12 00:29:31

Warning! Deep water- no swimming!

(Next to a lake in Kent. I had just emigrated from Scandinavia, and nearly turned and went back again. In my yokel innocence I thought that was what swimming was for)

Suitable for vegetarians- on a bottle of olive oil.

Buntingbunny Mon 18-Jun-12 00:46:38

DD1 is always a bit puzzled as to how she is meant to take her inhaler, as it states it "Must be kept out of sight and reach of children"

I've always drunk black coffee and people used to look confused when I put a splash of cold water in it. Nowadays lots of people drink it and understand perfectly that instant coffee with no milk to cool it is lethal.

SelfRighteousPrissyPants Mon 18-Jun-12 09:10:44

Leicester council is facing a £70K bill after a warden fell and injured himself putting up health and safety signs!

On a box of paracetamol: contains paracetamol.

And my favourite ever, although it's more common sense really:

On the label of a small toy zebra: do not iron.

grin

Bunting same here. And if I didn't, I'd still be drinking my morning brew at lunch.

Display Screen Equipment training at work
"Do not forget to blink"

Buntingbunny Mon 18-Jun-12 09:39:19

By which time we'd have been in A&E because climb everything DD1 would have found it!

DeWe Mon 18-Jun-12 09:45:08

The local infant school has a sign on their pond.
"Warning deep water"... the pond is about knee deep in reception age.

Dm's sleeping tablets: "May cause drowsiness"

I can't remember which medication it was, I think it was a cough medicine. But it was for ages 1-6yo: "May cause drowsiness. Do not drive after taking this medicine". Ds read it and said hopefully. "I haven't had any. Can I drive now?"

ages ago I bought a pizza from M&S that said on the back "caution: may be hot when cooked." I loved the possibility of doubt that was introduced with the may be hot. It would be confusing if it wasn't, wouldn't it?

"Accidents with chainsaws are rarely trivial"
hmm

Gosh, I would never have thought it.

Stropzilla Thu 21-Jun-12 18:02:27

On skiing insurance - insurance will be invalid if the individual causes damage to, or is damaged by, unauthorised use of nuclear equipment. Didn't see a lot of that when I was up the alps, but I suppose someone has for them to need to pop that on there!

phantomnamechanger Thu 21-Jun-12 18:13:36

these warnings are even funnier when they are badly translated from the original eg "do not be ironing the clothe when on the body"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now