Why doesn't the queen wear a crown

(16 Posts)
McHappyPants2012 Thu 07-Jun-12 18:03:11

She didn't wear one for William and Kate's wedding, nor the jubille even for the queens Speach at Christmas.

Is there a reason behind it, dr google has failed me

Magneto Thu 07-Jun-12 18:05:09

It's bloody heavy that's why grin

And a bit "in your face"

And probably a pretty big security risk too.

thegreylady Thu 07-Jun-12 18:05:34

Crowns are extremely heavy to wear and are symbolic.They are also very very valuable.

squoosh Thu 07-Jun-12 18:07:15

Ssssshh! No one's meant to know but she's posted it off to Got Gold Get Cash.

McHappyPants2012 Thu 07-Jun-12 18:08:30

Lol squoosh

DeWe Thu 07-Jun-12 18:09:09

Ds wanted to know why Sir Cliff Richard had forgotten his armour and weapons if he was a real knight too.

Magneto Thu 07-Jun-12 18:11:06

But he's not a real knight, real knights don't sing and dance - that's the jester.

Real knights go on crusades and duel and joust.

Come on Sir Cliff... Be a knight, do it right! grin

Abzs Thu 07-Jun-12 18:27:48

I'd suppose the actual crowns are used as little as possible. Getting hairspray, hair grease, fingerprints, dust and dirt on the crowns must be the conservator's nightmare. She's got a fine collection of tiaras anyway.

I wouldn't like to be the person in charge of which crown is the right crown for any given event. There's quite a few to choose from and you wouldn't want to offend anyone at a state occasion by using the crown with jewels nicked acquired from their great great grandparents...

And can you imagine the fuss trying to get one out of the Tower to use it?

stargirl1701 Thu 07-Jun-12 18:38:03

She wears it to the state opening of parliament. Every year. It's broadcast on TV. Every year.

sensuallettuce Thu 07-Jun-12 18:39:51

I bloody LOVED the Cullian Diamond she wore on Tuesday grin.

Mrsjay Thu 07-Jun-12 18:59:44

have you seen her crown ITS HOOGE grin she does wear tiaras sometimes they are pretty but most of the time she just has a nice hat on, when she is being head of state she will wear a tiara i have only seen her wear the crown in pictures of her coronation and state opening, and id imagine it would be a security risk , did i mention how HOOGE it is,

Naoko Thu 07-Jun-12 19:02:30

It is, I believe, strictly governed by protocol when the wearing of a crown is appropriate, and there aren't all that many occasions where it is.

Even historically, kings and queens wouldn't necessarily regularly wear their crowns -if you read medieval European chronicles, you'll often find references such as 'and at Christmas the King came to such and such a castle, and he held a splendid feast, and on Christmas day the King and the Queen wore their crowns'. It was a formal, symbolic occasion, significant enough to mention in a chronicle.

kickassangel Thu 07-Jun-12 19:18:08

she doesn't wave her magic wand sceptre around much either, or sit on the throne.

once she's done that & been anointed it's kind of presumed to by there symbolicly.

the crown weighs over 5 lbs as well.

WhiteWidow Thu 07-Jun-12 19:28:01

I'd well be rocking the crown and sceptre at every opportunity if I was here

Sallyingforth Thu 07-Jun-12 21:17:45

I was round the Windsor Arms the other night for the karaoke, and she dropped in and did a great cover of 'Girl Gone Wild'. She was wearing the crown then but it kept falling off while she was dancing.

LibrarianByDay Thu 07-Jun-12 21:45:08

I'd imagine that at 86 years old, wearing a very heavy crown might be a little uncomfortable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now