to think carrot cake should have walnuts in it, not raisins?

(55 Posts)
MardyBra Thu 02-Feb-12 17:15:31

Raisins are like soggy rabbit droppings.

And I like a bit of crunch.

limitedperiodonly Thu 02-Feb-12 21:55:15

I bought carrot cake with hazelnuts.

It wasn't very nice.

It was £1.50 a slice.

I will not be making that mistake again.

startail Thu 02-Feb-12 21:36:29

Carrot cake should as bunbaker rightly said contain carrots and cake. Nothing else! It should then be topped with just the right thickness of just sweet enough cream cheese icing.

GoldenGreen Thu 02-Feb-12 21:00:43

Walnuts, and if you must have dried fruit, then apricots.

Am intrigued by the Venetian cake - off to google!

strictlovingmum Thu 02-Feb-12 20:55:46

Yes walnuts and sultanas rather then raisins,smile
And icing is best made with obv. icing sugar, splash of rum or amaretto and mascarpone cheese.smile
Now that's the carrot cake.
But if you want real indulgence without as many calories, but not compromise on the taste, try Nigela's flour-less Venetian carrot cake, it is a beauty, also suitable for gluten free diet.

SevenAgainstThebes Thu 02-Feb-12 20:39:45

YABVVVVVVU because I am trying to lose weight and now I am craving carrot cake with mountains of cream cheese icing. angry

YANBU about the walnuts, though. Carrot cake should definitely have walnuts. Almost all of them in aforementioned Himalayas of cream cheese icing. <sobs with lust>

On a side note - I had No Idea how bad carrot cake was for you until my friend spent her summer working in M&S cafe. She said a slice there would set you back 800 calories and contained God knows how much fat. shock I still would though

mathanxiety Thu 02-Feb-12 20:37:59

A maple flavoured glaze is also lovely with carrot cake, but ime that would demand a cake with walnuts in it.

carrot cakes counts as a vegetable portion surely?

Must have: walmuts, cloves, mixed spice+cinnamon, sea salt

NO vine fruits, No Cream Cheese Frostings- bleurgh.

I make The Best carrot cake ever according my my DM and my DD .
So there wink

zipzap Thu 02-Feb-12 19:18:37

You've all got it wrong. Completely wrong.

Take out the walnuts
Take out the raisins (sultanas/currants/etc)
Take out the carrots

Replace with cocoa and make a scrummy chocolate cake instead. No point wasting calories on yukky carrot cake when you could have yummy chocolate instead grin

YonSeaCow Thu 02-Feb-12 18:55:28

icing has to be either: your standard glace but made with orange juice (fresh) not water

or cream cheese frosting.

I also put orange zest in mine.

MardyBra Thu 02-Feb-12 18:39:22

No icing? Fraek.

akaemmafrost Thu 02-Feb-12 18:38:43

Yanb at all u. Raisins in carrot cake shock is all wrong. I must confess to feeling quite sulky when there are no walnuts in carrot cake. Not on AT ALL.

CMOTDibbler Thu 02-Feb-12 18:37:12

I like sultanas, crushed pineapple and no icing personally

lottiegb Thu 02-Feb-12 18:36:25

Yes, I thought I knew about dried fruit but was shocked and astounded by currants not being currants.

I do agree carrot cake is better without sultanas (and with walnuts), I like walnuts and they go so well.

ratspeaker Thu 02-Feb-12 18:33:45

I like dried apricot in my carrot cake

ArielNonBio Thu 02-Feb-12 18:23:05

Sorry <unrepentant>

MardyBra Thu 02-Feb-12 18:22:22

bloody dried fruit thread hijackers wink

Heleninahandcart Thu 02-Feb-12 18:01:19

thought

Heleninahandcart Thu 02-Feb-12 18:00:35

Ok hands up who though currents were from a bush called, er a current bush?
Reasonable, no?

Obviously I knew the difference. Just wanted to see if you do too... wink

ArielNonBio Thu 02-Feb-12 17:58:55

How do you know so much about dried fruit? Are you a cook?

Yes but there are IIRC six varieties of grapes which can be dried successfully and do not suffer from must (like mould). And they all taste differently, just like all white wines don't taste the same.

ArielNonBio Thu 02-Feb-12 17:55:30

Something to do with pips?

OnlyANinja Thu 02-Feb-12 17:53:39

I think they are different white grapes... like tangerines and clementines and satsumas are all orange citrus fruits, but they are different don't ask me how they are different but they are.

ArielNonBio Thu 02-Feb-12 17:52:57

Thank you! How odd though, that both raisins and sultanas are from white grapes shock

<needs to get a life sharpish>

OnlyANinja Thu 02-Feb-12 17:52:43

Sultanas, raisins, and currants are all dried grapes. They are just different varieties of grape.

MardyBra Thu 02-Feb-12 17:52:35

And Christmas cake is the work of the devil.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now