Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that one single cheerio really is a sufficient dinner for a plastic goldfish?

(106 Posts)
professorsnape Sat 09-Jul-11 17:38:44

DD says otherwise.

He's been sitting in a glass of water on the windowsill most day. Got stories read to him, was brought out in the garden and even got his glass changed. Very little swimming around.

DD declared it was feeding time and asked me what we should give him.

I thought one cheerio would be enough to fill him.

She thinks he deserves at least two cheerios and a treat afterwards.

Am just checking as don't want to be liable for cruelty/underfeeding of inanimate plastic goldfishes.

His name is Yanky Doodle Dandy btw smile

professorsnape Sat 09-Jul-11 21:32:44

Thank you fellow posters. A lot to think about there.

Since moving back from the states and coming to live with us, Yanky Doodle now has a normal BMI index worraliberty as he spend his formative years in the care of a fast food diner owner. I like the idea of macaroni though, maybe for Thanksgiving.

Some of you suggested feeding him more healthy options than cheerios, but as he's already plastic, i thought a cardboardy-type-articial-ceral-disgused-as-real-food was the best option.

After all, 99 % of him is already plastic.

So go ahead Nowittyname and just ring the RSPCPG. See if I care. I'll have a good case to fight :O

DD suggested we might try and give him a rolled up piece of fish finger crumbs, but prehaps we might hear him screaming "Mummy!!!...."

Amaretti Sat 09-Jul-11 21:35:03

I think goldfish led weaning is indeed the answer.

He is in a glass?
Bloody irresponsible plastic goldfish keepers angry
Drive to the beach and set him free (unless of course that counts as littering)

worraliberty Sat 09-Jul-11 21:37:36

Feed him up with chips and mushy peas then stick him in the fryer

NoWittyName Sat 09-Jul-11 21:40:18

...but you've got to have some mint sauce if you're going with the mushy peas option. x

worraliberty Sat 09-Jul-11 21:47:14

Fuck it you're right...bung a bit of mouth wash over it!

PMSL how old is your dd??? mine is 5 and this sounds like something she would do!!

1 cheerio is sufficent!!!

ljgibbs Sat 09-Jul-11 21:51:00

Yanbu, there is far to much sugar in cheerios, if he has more than 1 a day his teeth will rot and fall out grin

worraliberty Sat 09-Jul-11 21:52:20

What if he's wheat or gluten intolerant huh?

What then? hmm

professorsnape Sat 09-Jul-11 21:55:04

Thank you kind supporters of the one cheerio approach!

(He should be damn grateful. He's probably the best fed plastic goldfish in the UK!)

glendathegoodwitch my DD is 3 and 3 quarters, almost 4.
Amazing what a rainy afternoon does for the imagination.

She read him lots of stories today. Maybe he might enjoy her Finding Nemo DVD tomorrow :O

thefirstMrsDeVere Sat 09-Jul-11 21:56:14

Oh FFS give the bubba his cheerios.

U shud let him. U lot r so stuck up.

U shud mash sum up and put it in a bottle. My mom did that and I am fine.

professorsnape Sat 09-Jul-11 21:56:58

Gosh worraliberty, never thought of that.

Anyone know where I can get an allergy test for plastic goldfish?

Is this kind of thing covered on the NHS?

Would it hurt? sad

professorsnape Sat 09-Jul-11 22:00:32

Good idea thefirstMrsDevere. What a kind suggestion. Might show him we care.

However, you said it never did you any harm, but I ask you:

Is there a connection between the mashing up on cheerios on a bottle and the overuse of typing text-speak?

(joke) smile

thefirstMrsDeVere Sat 09-Jul-11 22:02:02

Takes LOADS of practice to type like that I will have you know!

itz bare hard doh.

YABU giving him cherrios.

Coco pops are much better - the may also turn his water chocolatly allowing him a pleasant drink <it was noted no refreshment has been offered>

wink

Dont do it again for a while MrsDV - it can suck you in you know. Next thing you know you'll be starting all your posts "Hun" and ending them with mwaaahs

But NOT rice krispies - the snap crackle and pop ffrom around him will drive him mad

Very concerned about the size of his domicile.
A glass really is not big enough. Might I suggest a milk bottle, pyrex dish or water filled conservatory.

Then you would have space for a castle, diver and treasure chest that all goldfish crave.

Have you tried breastfeeding? A counsellor could help you to get established and then you will help the bong between you and the fish.

Scooping three spoons of formula into the water might work as well.

My DD once breastfed a teddy called Blooberry

BONG? BONG. Norks has NOT been at he BONG...I meant BOND

Sorry

MadEyeMoodTEE2072 Sat 09-Jul-11 22:09:10

If he is 99% plastic what is his other 1%?

Make sure you are positive he is a boy before you buy another plastic goldfish to be his 'friend' or you could wind up with 100s of plastic babies!

Will no one think of the babies?!?!

TheDeathlyMarshmallows Sat 09-Jul-11 22:10:03

You have to admire the PR guys at Cocopops - they've managed to make the fact that the chocolare coating is a bit shit and comes off in the milk into a selling point!

Love the idea of water-filled-conservatory ... I know see this as the ONLY place that would be suitable to keep said fish, anything less is clearly abuse!

"Scooping three spoons of formula into the water might work as well."
Fairly sure the water should have no (plastic) poo in it

HoneyNorwegianRidgebackdragon Sat 09-Jul-11 22:13:07

Mad Eye

EVERYONE knows that cross plasticed plastic goldfish are healthier.

100% pure bred plastic ones have also sorts of genetic defects, to you want to endorse that kind of cruelty, DO YOU!?

<walks round muttering for shame and lawks>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now