To think that one single cheerio really is a sufficient dinner for a plastic goldfish?

(106 Posts)
professorsnape Sat 09-Jul-11 17:38:44

DD says otherwise.

He's been sitting in a glass of water on the windowsill most day. Got stories read to him, was brought out in the garden and even got his glass changed. Very little swimming around.

DD declared it was feeding time and asked me what we should give him.

I thought one cheerio would be enough to fill him.

She thinks he deserves at least two cheerios and a treat afterwards.

Am just checking as don't want to be liable for cruelty/underfeeding of inanimate plastic goldfishes.

His name is Yanky Doodle Dandy btw smile

pranma Sat 09-Jul-11 17:43:34

May I suggest one cheerio followed by a raisin for dessert?Given his name he may also appreciate a small piece of macaroni grin

ZillionChocolate Sat 09-Jul-11 17:47:07

Raisins might cause goldfish tooth decay? I think a cheerio is plenty.

NearlyHeadlessnickelbabe Sat 09-Jul-11 17:47:53

i think a cheerio is way enough food for a plastic goldfish!
does the child want it to fill up too much, explode and die? shock

justpaddling Sat 09-Jul-11 17:48:53

I think you are definately under feeding. He needs his energy and this is why is not swimming around much. Try a chocolate button. grin

pantaloons Sat 09-Jul-11 17:51:16

I hope he's got something to play with, they can get really troublesome when they are bored you know! grin

I think he probably needs pudding, I mean, what's life without pudding?

feelforcedout Sat 09-Jul-11 17:59:22

i think it is cruel to have one and you should get another.

worraliberty Sat 09-Jul-11 18:05:15

There's a lot to consider here.

What's his BMI?

How much exercise does he get?

Can he ride a bike?

Does his bum look big?

CheeryCherry Sat 09-Jul-11 18:05:33

Best thread title of the day! grin

celebmum Sat 09-Jul-11 18:15:20

This is exactly why mumsnet should have a 'like' button!! gringringringrin

SybilBeddows Sat 09-Jul-11 18:18:57

Give him one and if he eats it he can have another.

That's how we deal with mealtimes for invisible friends in our house.

BreastmilkDoesAFabLatte Sat 09-Jul-11 18:41:00

But surely the plastic goldfish should be able to tell you whether or not he's still hungry...

happymole Sat 09-Jul-11 18:46:01

Best thread title grin

I think he would like a chicken nugget and his water replaced with wine Fruit Drink.

EveryonesJealousOfWeasleys Sat 09-Jul-11 18:49:01

It is vitally important never to overfeed a fish. They don't know when to stop and literally eat til they die. It happened to me once when a neighbour 'fish sat' and we came back to two little orange corpses sad

Oh yes.
Goldfish are notoriously dirty buggers, they poo so much they pollute the tank and kill themselves if you're not careful.
Feeding must be tightly regulated, do you know they can go a week without food?

bibbitybobbityhat Sat 09-Jul-11 18:51:33

Yabu

AnyFuleKno Sat 09-Jul-11 18:55:24

If you want to neglect your goldfish by feeding it processed rubbish...

I would prepare a selection of healthy food...quinoa, tofu, grapefruit and allow mu goldfish to select. Ot should be goldfish led.

Some people....

Yanbu

MadYoungCatLady Sat 09-Jul-11 19:23:16

You sound like a very responsible plastic fish owner to me. Do not feel pressure to do anything except what you feel is best for your plastic fish. Only you and your DC really understand the plastic fish.

However, I do feel you could be slightly more lenient as it is a weekend. Just a suggestion, but if its been healthy all day you could give it a wotsit, quaver or the like?

EveryonesJealousOfWeasleys Sat 09-Jul-11 20:40:00

ROFL at 'goldfish led' grin

NoWittyName Sat 09-Jul-11 20:46:51

I'm with AnyFuleKno. I think it's wholly unacceptable to feed your plastic fish something so artificial as a cheerio. I almost feel like ringing the RSPCPG (royal society for the prevention of cruelty to plastic goldfish). Be warned. [stern face emoticon]

joric Sat 09-Jul-11 20:50:31

Has it eaten it yet? I think one is sufficient.

I agree - If he eats all of his cheerio then he can have a yoghurt but make sure you bath him before bed - you don't want all the sticky yoggy in his fins all night!

TheDeathlyMarshmallows Sat 09-Jul-11 21:20:43

What he needs is Tetra pak Fish food.

keepontrukkin Sat 09-Jul-11 21:29:51

YABVU.

A Cheerio provides a mouth-watering start to the meal and a nutritious end to it, but offers nothing in the middle. Your DD's suggestion of a second Cheerio is equally inadequate, though her treat seems kind.

Pranma's raisin is an excellent remedy, though her macaroni alternative won't work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now