Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Tesco is monitoring my menstral cycle!

(54 Posts)
larks35 Thu 14-Oct-10 19:34:59

I'm grateful for clubcard vouchers and any little extras but I've realised recently that when I shop at Tesco 2 or 3 days before my period, I get a till voucher for £1 off tampax. I initially thought it was a coincidence but it has happened for the last 3 cycles now. I got one the other day and it prompted me to think - oh shit yeah, I'm due on.

Like I say £1 off tampax is great, but AIBU to feel a bit weirded out by the fact that Tesco have a closer handle on my menstral cycle than I do?

WhatsThatDuckDoingThere Thu 14-Oct-10 19:37:50

They also know how much alcohol you drink, which medications you take (if you use their pharmacy), how much your house is worth (if you use their insurance), who you call from your mobile (if you use their network), and whether or not you read shite magazines.

bigfootbeliever Thu 14-Oct-10 19:38:43

Oh God - get rid of your club card.

It's like having a microchip.

ladysybil Thu 14-Oct-10 19:39:40

government agencies would kill to get their hands on tesco's database. If ever there was an orwellian big brother, then its tesco.

Yep, stores don't use reward cards out of the goodness of their hearts!

Katisha Thu 14-Oct-10 19:39:45

The system always gives me vouchers for branded name versions of the Tesco's own stuff that I usually get. I don't bother.

hatwoman Thu 14-Oct-10 19:40:29

dh refuses to get a clubcard for this reason. I think he's being a bit precious and it's worth the savings. but maybe he has a point.

bigfoot... dp thinks like that.
i don't have a problem with it, because actually i LIKE getting offers on things I use, and it doesn't bother me that they keep a record of what I buy

if however you dislike it, just get a group of friends together and keep swapping cards, then you just share out the rewards between yourselves

CerealOffender Thu 14-Oct-10 19:41:52

don't buy any tampax this month and see if they send you vouchers for a pregnancy test

gothicmama Thu 14-Oct-10 19:42:43

they could know everything about you - freaky

hatwoman Thu 14-Oct-10 19:43:06

grin at cereal offender.

DH has just read this and said (jokingly of course)
"oh if only she had a mooncup or used knitted tampons then she wouldn't have Tesco weirding her out" grin

larks35 Thu 14-Oct-10 19:45:51

grin @ CerealOffender.

The thing is I've never got round to using their £1 off tampax before cos I've usually found myself caught short and gone into wherever is closest! How do they know my cycle when I don't always buy my tampons from them?

ratspeaker Thu 14-Oct-10 19:52:28

I doubt even Tescos could predict my cycle, more a penny farthing DH says

MangoTango Thu 14-Oct-10 21:09:01

Maybe I'm being naive but I don't worry that they have all this information about me. The info feeds into their systems along with the info on thousands and thousands of other customers and then the systems market certain things to me based on that info which I can choose to ignore. There isn't some man in the control room looking at my info and saying "Oooh Ernie have you seen that Mango has bought condoms this week. She's been at it again, I must tell Maureen!"

SleepingLion Thu 14-Oct-10 21:11:55

ROFL at Mango grin

Yes, I really can't be bothered to get paranoid about what Tesco knows about me - if it interests them, they must have a pretty bloody boring life, that's all I can say!

AuntiePickleBottom Thu 14-Oct-10 21:13:27

op get a mooncup, but don't use your boots advantage card as they still send me info on 'green' products

WhatsThatDuckDoingThere Thu 14-Oct-10 21:15:53

Sometimes I like to throw them buy buying my wine elsewhere. I expect an alarm goes off somewhere when I do that.

roundwindow Thu 14-Oct-10 21:28:43

Larks: was it because your chocolate purchases suddenly quadruple on a certain week each month? grin

Brrr though, I've always avoided reward cards for this reason. I'm far too paranoid. Not that I have anything to hide, I just hate the idea of some bods in an office somewhere going 'oooh Nigel, she's on a health kick this week, just as well after last week's donut-fest, oh and the kids must have nits again' etc.

FrightNightScreamTight Thu 14-Oct-10 21:32:13

the reciept tokens are completely random, it may not seem that way but each week there is a particular set that will print off for most customers.. it depends what they want to promote.

The clubcard system is for the online favourites and to try and make sure your quarterly vouchers are of interest and relevent to you as an individual customer.

oliviafrombolivia Thu 14-Oct-10 21:46:47

I love annoying Tesco by using my Tesco credit card for buying groceries at other supermarkets. An imaginary 2 fingers every time I do it - I'll show them who's boss.

saffy85 Thu 14-Oct-10 21:49:22

shock I'm not the paranoid sort, but this would horrify me!

CoffinsTooNarrow Thu 14-Oct-10 21:54:22

I programmed my clubcard number into my sister's iphone in order to completely skew my data with the increasingly bizarre purchases of a single 20 something with a large disposable income. Also I get to see what she buys and be jealous tell her off when the alcohol purchasing goes through the roof.

Ineed2 Thu 14-Oct-10 21:56:30

Tesco and serco are poised for world domination, Scarygrin.

lurcherlover Thu 14-Oct-10 22:10:14

I can put up with the clubcard meaning they know everything about my shopping habits because I think it really is a good deal. We recently traded in our clubcard vouchers for £400 of Topps Tiles vouchers (cos you can quadruple them when you trade them online for other things - never spend them in Tesco, that's the worst thing to do) - so we were able to tile our en-suite for free. Previously we've had weekends away for free using their hotel vouchers. I don't mind them knowing what brand of shampoo I buy if I can get savings like that...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now