Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Best washing powder for sensitive skin

(40 Posts)
belgo Tue 07-Apr-09 16:30:58

DS aged six months has got very sensitive skin, and we are going to England next week, which washing powder is best to buy in England please?

Mumof3wifeof1 Wed 14-Aug-13 21:23:02

fairy non bio works for me. 15 years ago I ended up in hospital for a week because I used biological washing powder. I can never use any fabric conditioner but I love the smell of them

David41 Tue 06-Aug-13 14:01:33

I like OMO smells great on my clothes

Fibreoptic Tue 06-Aug-13 13:55:13

I recommend you have a look at the laundry products from Skin Salveation. They got an excellant review in The Daily Mail. www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-194573/Washing-powder-cure-eczema.html
They are now available from John Bell and Croyden,Wigmore street London
Have a look at the website there's a lot of comprehensive information on dealing generally with sensitive skin as well.
www.skinsalveation.com

leelteloo Tue 12-Feb-13 21:16:46

Only use Surecare, dd had reaction to all other washing powder we tried, even if they said they were for sensitive skin. Now just use Surecare for everything.

networkamanda Tue 12-Feb-13 21:09:13

Hi

my brood have always suffered with sensitive skin and I have found and absolutely swear by Violet's range from www.homescents.co.uk First time I have EVER been able to use a fabric conditioner. They had excellent reviews in the Telegraph last week too. Highly recommend

AcademicMum Fri 17-Apr-09 23:14:23

Also Ecozone Ecoballs are OK for getting clothes clean (you get a stain remover for tougher stains). They don't give a nice fresh smell like wash powder (so no good when clothes have got a bit erm, sweaty), but I find them a good way to reduce the amount of wash powder needed by only using wash powder where really necessary. They also help reduce the amount of water required as you don't need extra rinse cycles to remove powder - a consideration for us as we're on metered water and the bills are astronomical!

ruddynorah Fri 17-Apr-09 15:57:20

wash in hotter water and yes line dry.

expatinscotland Fri 17-Apr-09 15:56:21

soap nuts users, how do you treat really tough stains? i've tried drying the items in direct sunlight.

stains still there (tomato)

ruddynorah Fri 17-Apr-09 15:52:55

soapnuts here too.

clareh71 Fri 17-Apr-09 15:51:01

we also use soap nuts and then eco friendl nappy wash for stains

Surcare all the way. DS would get ezcema all over if he so much as looked at clothes washed in other brands. Now he is older I can get away with asda sensitive.

Poppity Thu 16-Apr-09 22:39:40

Another vote for Surecare unscented, it's the only one that doesn't aggravate ds mild excema.

It was the only one which didn't make me sick when pregnant too, so it must be mild!!

EldonAve Thu 16-Apr-09 22:38:34

we use surcare although I'm thinking of changing

katiepotatie Thu 16-Apr-09 22:34:17

Ecover is good, or Fairy. I have used both these for myself am allergic to most washing powders.

expatinscotland Thu 16-Apr-09 22:32:34

I don't use fabric softener, either.

expatinscotland Thu 16-Apr-09 22:31:56

DS gets rashy skin, too. We use soap nuts but I rub in a little Persil non-bio on really stained items.

MotherofInvention Thu 16-Apr-09 22:25:11

We normally use Fairy but recently switched to Sainsbury's concentrated non-bio with very itchy results...

monkeybumsmum Sat 11-Apr-09 08:20:59

Morning belgo smile

We normally take Le Chat with us, as mums powder brings ds out in a rash... However, have heard that Ecover (as mentioned above) is also good, but just haven't tried it.

Have a lovely time!

belgo Thu 09-Apr-09 16:21:14

I'm just going to take some of our own washing powder (Le Chat), it seems fine with ds's skin. I made the mistake of putting him in an old babygro from his older siblings, that had not been washed in Le Chat, and he came out in an awful rash where his skin had been in direct contact with the babygro.

I don't use fabric conditioner.

giantkatestacks Thu 09-Apr-09 16:19:53

another vote for surcare here...washes better than ecover as well.

mylovelymonster Thu 09-Apr-09 16:17:50

.......about messy nappies - I rinse out poo stains with hot soapy water - rubbing fabric together - before I put items in washing machine which seems to help get the stains out completely (so far)

I use waitrose own brand sensitive and it is great - have never had a problem with DSs skin which was awful with excema when we used to use Fairy.

mylovelymonster Thu 09-Apr-09 16:15:49

Guess what - I use Ecover Fabric softener as well. Am so predictable. Smells nice tho and keeps LOs clothes soft and snuggly. Didn't use softener until she was bigger though - 18months+. Found that using Ecover generally didn't make her clothes go as cardboardy as our normal Persil non-bio, plus we have a water softener which might make a difference.

PinkTulips Thu 09-Apr-09 16:02:11

using half the amount works just as well as the recomended dose and rinses out alot better smile

i only use ecover softner as the regular stuff aggravates dp's eczema

Surcare - unscented powder is one of the few that DD isn't allergic to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now