Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Does anyone bake their own milk, egg and wheat free bread?

(20 Posts)
TwinkleTits Mon 06-May-13 20:10:44

If so, Id love for you to pass on your recipe. grin.

Ive been baking one with buckwheat, rice flour and tapioca.

Its successful in that the kids love it. But its very stodgy/rubbery in the middle. So not that successful in my eyes.

Can anyone help me please?

MadMonkeys Mon 06-May-13 20:14:01

well I'm about to some time this week so I'll let you know how it goes. I'll be using a bread maker. Think it will be milk bread, made with Oatly milk and rice flour.

TwinkleTits Mon 06-May-13 20:22:09

Interesting.

Ive been told that wheat free bread doesnt work in a bread maker. I asked the baker who makes the free from bread at a near by-ish bakery. and he wouldnt give me his recipe

MadMonkeys Mon 06-May-13 21:36:16

I've got a book specifically about baking gluten free bread and cake in a bread maker so if your baker is right I want my money back! Its called 'gluten free bread and cakes from your breadmaker' by Carolyn Humphries. I'm new to this free-from lark, so I may be overly optomistic in even trying! But nothing ventured... The pictures in the book look promising smile

TwinkleTits Mon 06-May-13 23:41:02

G

TwinkleTits Mon 06-May-13 23:41:32

Good luck! Keep me posted grin.

MadMonkeys Tue 07-May-13 17:54:43

well my first attempt was ok, although it didn't rise much so it was a bit dense. Think I was a bit heavy handed with the salt. I'm not discouraged though, I've never baked anything gluten free before so I'm pleased it was edible! Very soft too, and the taste was nice. I'll make a second attempt tomorrow if I have chance to pop out for some more Oatly.

TwinkleTits Tue 07-May-13 20:19:56

I managed to perfect a loaf today!!! Im SO pleased.

I called the bakery who sells am amazing wheat free loaf, because theirs was the one I was trying to replicate and asked them why mine didnt rise and was so rubbery (yet the taste was lovely), turns out I wasnt using enough water. Just 75 mls more and I have the loaf I was after. grin

ellenbrody Tue 07-May-13 21:05:51

twinkle, can you post the recipe as we are gluten free too. Thank you.

MadMonkeys Tue 07-May-13 22:36:34

Yes, please post the recipe twinkle

blue2 Tue 07-May-13 22:41:08

Oh, yes please Twinkle!

I'd love a decent recipe.

TwinkleTits Tue 07-May-13 22:51:09

Hi yes definitely I will put it up tomoroww exactly but I'll give you a rough idea from memory (Im in bed feeding the lo)

225g Tapioca flour
175g Brown Rice flour
50g Buckwheat flour
1tbsp Apple juice from concentrate
3tbsp Sunflour oil
1tsp yeast
1tsp Xanthum gum
1/2 tsp Vit C (this is needed for the process)
3/4 tasp salt
315 mls of warm water

Leave to rise for 90 minutes.

Cook for 60 minutes

TwinkleTits Tue 07-May-13 22:51:46

In fact, that is the exact recipe.

MadMonkeys Wed 08-May-13 08:09:34

Thanks twinkle. Stupid question - do you need to knead it or just mix it all to a batter? I guess it's too sloppy to knead? Where do you buy gf buckwheat? The doves farm stuff isn't guaranteed gf.

MadMonkeys Wed 08-May-13 08:17:37

And what temperature do you bake it on?

TwinkleTits Wed 08-May-13 20:28:43

I buy gluten free buckwheat from my local health food store, which is from a place called Infinity Foods which is definitely gluten free.

No I dont kneed it, its too sloppy.

I bake it 180.

ellenbrody Wed 08-May-13 20:31:41

What kind of yeast did you use please?

TwinkleTits Wed 08-May-13 20:50:07

I used dried yeast. Apparently the fresh yeast (which I planned on using) is no good.

MadMonkeys Wed 08-May-13 22:35:37

Is it fast action yeast? All these questions... smile

TwinkleTits Thu 09-May-13 16:25:00

Fast acting yeast, yes.

It wont make good sandwich bread. Well, it will if you make sandwiches with it the day you bake it.

But otherwise it makes excellent and tasty toast.

Please dont expect it to be like a Hovis loaf though because it wont be.

Also - it wont work in a bread machine. Its a recipe that needs to be done by hand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now