Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Urgent advice needed for allergic bf baby

(28 Posts)
hobnob57 Thu 14-Feb-13 15:35:53

Dc 3 is following in the footsteps of his siblings and being intolerant to things in my diet. I have excluded dairy and wheat. His reflux seems to be more under control but he is regularly having slimy nappies with 'bits' in and terrible wind which is keeping us up every hour of the night. He is 4 months old.
I contacted the dietician at the children's hospital since I have had previous connections there and sent her a pic of the kind of nappies we have been having. She showed a gastro and they want me to go in tomorrow to discuss things. The thinking is the bits are blood, indicating an allergy but they are very reluctant to advise any more dietary exclusions, and would prefer instead he went of hypoallergenic formula to find out if it is allergy.

I am really reluctant to do this! With dc 2 I was excluding lots from my diet and I was fine other than bruising more easily. I bf the other 2 for a year each.

What do you think/ experiences? Any reading I can do on the relative benefits/risks of continuing bf? sad sad sad

greenbananas Fri 22-Feb-13 10:36:51

And sorry MagratGarlik I wasn't getting at you in particular blush It must have been very hard for you to avoid so many foods as a vegetarian.

Not surprising that your long-term health has been at risk with your food exclusions. I too am avoiding eggs, dairy, nuts and pulses (with some other allergens as well) and I used to be vegetarian before I had DS, but I have decided that I must cook and eat meat now because I just don't know how to get enough protein otherwise.

hobnob57 Fri 22-Feb-13 16:27:55

Why oh why is soy not listed as an allergenic ingredient if it is such a common problem? angry

hobnob57 Fri 22-Feb-13 16:29:10

I'm beginning to wonder of his 7 week cold and 3 week cough has anything to do with all of this..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now